Universal Orlando News & Planning Thread

Ah. Okay. I misunderstood.

Table Delivery would be nice, since when were there, the mobile order pick up area was a madhouse!

2 Likes

The AP rates have really increased in price, at least for Dockside and Surfsideā€¦:pleading_face:

3 Likes

I was hoping for better!

2 Likes

April park hours have been released

3 Likes

Yeah, me too. My teen and I are going the last week of June, and the rates are at least $50 more per night than they were last summerā€¦

4 Likes

Universal has temporarily removed 3D/3D glasses from Kong, and the films were converted to 2D.

The change will last until March 9th for testing purposes.

Rumors suggest it would be a cost cutting measure and may be permanent.

4 Likes

:frowning:

I think Minion Mayhem was better with 3D.
I canā€™t imagine this is going to be an improvement.

3 Likes

It should make less of an impact on Kong. Hopefully.

4 Likes

:crossed_fingers:t4:

3 Likes

Definitely! It has so many ā€œcoming at youā€ effects that were meant to be seen in 3-D.

Iā€™m really not sure how I feel about Kong 2-Dā€¦ :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I prefer the 2d versions of things. The 3d versions always end up being blurry or I see double. I would love not having to work so hard at viewing these things. Eliminating the 3d glasses would help immensely.

(Minion Mayhem is problematic either way. Last time I rode it, I could barely stand looking at the screen anyhow. Felt so nauseated.)

4 Likes

After sleeping on this, I think it will be OKā€¦ F&F was supposed to be 3-D and without it the ride is still fine. (I know thatā€™s debatable!! :rofl: :innocent:)

There are moments on Kong where you having 3-D enhances the moment - like when your vehicle is ā€œswayingā€. However, IMHO itā€™s not the same as DM where the cartoon gags were very 3-D dependent.

The only 3-D attractions left will be Spider-Man and Transformers!

Spider-Man will not work without 3-D. If they take it away from there Iā€™ll grab my pitchfork & torch and head to UO Creative! :rofl: :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :innocent:

The same goes for Transformers, but Iā€™d be fine with the ride being replaced! Thatā€™s coming from a big Transformers fan!

3 Likes

This is trueā€¦BUTā€¦I actually feel that intentionally designing in 3D gags weakens the overall ā€œstoryā€. They should create an experience that doesnā€™t require ā€œin your faceā€ gags.

I actually have a similar issue with MuppetVision 3-D. The sight gags that rely on the 3-D donā€™t feel immersive, but contrived and weakens the experience. (Honestly, not sure how they could fix MuppetVision 3-D, since it is the schtick and point of the filmā€¦but I spend the most of the film feeling cross-eyed and seeing double. Same with Mickeyā€™s Philharmagic.)

Yeah. Iā€™ve not really ever been a fan of the Transformers Ride. Iā€™d love to see it replaced with something better.

1 Like

In Muppets though they are in on the gag ā€“ theyā€™re sort of using it to mock the gimmickyness of it.

3 Likes

Right. Which is why I saidā€¦

1 Like

Yeah so whatā€™s the problem. :rofl:

The problem is that in their effort to make a film that highlights 3D in a humourous fashion, I spend the entire time seeing double and feeling cross eyed. The very effects that cause this are the ones that are supposed to highlight the 3D. So, it ends up ruining the experience.

So while you can, in the case of something like Minion Mayhem, just eliminate 3D and it doesnā€™t ruin the storyā€¦you canā€™t just eliminate the 3D from MuppetVision 3D because the entire thing falls apart, so I donā€™t know how they fix it in that case!

1 Like

Oh I see. I thought you were just saying you didnā€™t like the gimmick.

1 Like

In the case of Minion Mayhem, Yesā€¦in the case of MuppetVision 3D, the gimmick itself is the entire schtickā€¦so, you canā€™t fix the 3D problem!

Maybe they could somehow remaster MuppetVision using better 3D technology at least to help. Not sure how much it would, though. I havenā€™t seen a 3D technology that fully works because it still ultimately relies on guaranteeing your eyes are focused exactly where they intended you to look. If you are looking anywhere else, at all, the effect falls apart. But when I watch these films, I canā€™t seem to get my eyes to find that sweet spot!

1 Like

My universal friends: If you book a package, and then cancel before 45 days, the $250 is refundable, correct? Iā€™m pretty sure thatā€™s right.

Letā€™s say you donā€™t want to buy the associated travel insurance on Universalā€™s site and something happensā€“will they reschedule a trip like Disney does or are you just out?