Universal Orlando News & Planning Thread

Right, and in general UOR will accept higher attendance a lot quicker than WDW. Even if WDW opens up some amount of availability, visitors are trained now that they need to plan to go to WDW.

3 Likes

@chails’s trip report today (or yesterday, I just caught up) showed HORRIBLE distancing in lines at Epcot. She said she even got dirty looks when she asked people to step back. Apparently, people are taking 3ft to be “back to normal”.

2 Likes

Yeah at this point in the pandemic most people are ready to move on and act normally. Especially those who are finally getting to travel.

4 Likes

I wonder if this will help dining capacity as well. Did they have to remove or block tables that can come back now?

I’m not sure because masks are off when dining. They may hold off there. Tables were removed in some restaurants.

3 Likes

Our last day at Universal was yesterday. We saw them adding the new markers. We wondered what took so long since wasn’t it 2 months ago that CDC said 3’? It didn’t seem to be a big deal to do since it was just adding another marker midway between what was there. Although the new ones didn’t have text on them to tell you what they were for. I told daughter that people are trained now, so they don’t need to explain.

One thing weird, and maybe they were there before and I didn’t notice. We saw 3" wide black squares spaced 2’ apart on some queues. Where I noticed them was on some queues where the floor was black.

I observed that people were back to normal on the spacing. People generally kept 2’-3’ in front of them. Thinking about it, there wasn’t much that they could do to enforce 6’ spacing since backing people up would cause more crowding behind them.

As a pale redhead who is practically sun-phobic I had to be told to move forward a few times when I’d found a shady spot in the queue. We’d tell people we were “anti-social distancing.” I did find a side benefit to the mask. At the waterpark, my nose got a little burnt. Usually when that happens, no amount of sunscreen will keep that from getting much worse if I go out into the sun again. But the mask allowed my nose time to heal.

One TM said that they are doing 60% now.

At least in Citywalk, we saw very few tables removed from use. Although they were spaced out. We ate at full service restaurants, with the mardi gras lanyard and some ice cream, but none of the Q.S. dining at a table.

4 Likes

Thanks for the update

Is this at indoor restaurants?

1 Like

Not for nothing - I don’t think that UOR has felt much pressure to do things Disney’s way for a long time now. I think they thrive on being “other.” If Disney is Box Lunch, UOR is Hot Topic. (That only works if you know the stores.)

4 Likes

No, 60% was park capacity compared to Before.

I can’t really say about inside-the-park dining. When we did sit at an indoor table (Finnegan’s and Mythos) it was at slightly off times and those are full service restaurants. It might have been that some tables were removed and the remaining ones spaced out.

One thing that drives us bat-poo-crazy about restaurants now. Getting a stinking menu is such a problem now. This isn’t unique to Universal. They’ve known for, what is it 6 months?, that surfaces aren’t a problem. But we’re expected to use our tiny phone screens to look at the menu. I’ve turned our cell phones from smart to dim for security reasons and DH’s doesn’t even have a browser. DD doesn’t have a cell phone. But even if we could use our phones, I wouldn’t want to. Looking at a menu is one of the perks of eating inside the restaurant, just like having someone-not-me clean the table. I like being able to look at the top left on the menu and the instantly read the bottom right. I like discussing what we are ordering and being able to say “Where did you see that? It sounds good”. Rant over.

7 Likes

Yes I noticed this very quickly at Three Broomsticks. It was more laid back plus we had the servers come, and they even cleaned up. I loved the new way of ordering/serving, wish they keep it!

Oh shoot, I reported on the menus in my Trip Report. Printed menus worked great for us. I even had them for the QS. When we had time waiting in a line, we could look and decide what to order, that saved using the phone too much.

For TS, if the schedule was tight we looked at it ahead of our reservation time or just got it out at the table.

2 Likes

I’ve been doing this for as long as I can remember. I love handing the menus out as we are in lines so they can speed up ordering.

4 Likes

Exactly. I do wish I would have printed 2 copies per restaurant. 1 was not quite enough for the 4 of us. But we made it work! DS was quite happy looking on his phone.

2 Likes

So, you printed them from home? Were they complete? Last time I looked was last summer and they didn’t have things like the kids items.

At Toothsome they didn’t even give us the complete menu. Theirs is two 2-sided sheets (maybe more) At first they gave us two copies of one sheet of the menu and a kid’s menu. DD and I usually split an adult entree, so we had to ask for an adult menu for her. That time they brought the two different sheets of the menu plus the alcohol sheet.

Yes, I printed from home. Everywhere was complete yes. I actually copied and pasted on Word because I didn’t need to print everything. Like kids menus, allergy food, etc.

We brought the Toothsome menu and ordered off of it. In March they had no such sheet. Ours was a big menu but they had everything we ordered.

The only place that provided a menu on the entire trip was Bubba Gumps. And we ate at probably 10 TS places.

4 Likes

They do if you ask, but they don’t like it. At a couple of places they said that the prices weren’t accurate.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Should I delete the thread I started with that news?

No. I just like to have news items here so it’s at one place for reference. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

6 Likes

News this exciting can never be in too many places!

5 Likes