Universal Orlando News & Planning Thread

First timer here. I’m creating touring plans for my visit after Christmas and the touring plan instructions say “Check Universal’s app for Virtual Line reservations for Hagrid’s Magical Creatures Motorbike Adventure starting 15-30 minutes before park opening; get a return time around sunset if available.”
Virtual Line reservations are no longer a thing, right? I need to figure out when to work it into my plan.

2 Likes

They are rare but if they are going to use a virtual queue, it would be during the weeks around Christmas. Check for it when you first get in the park and reserve whatever time(s) you want using different peoples’ phones in your party (it’s not tied to your ticket so each of you can make a VQ reservation for your whole party at various times as a contingency).

However, in the more likely event that there is no VQ, hop in line around 11am or any time the posted wait is around an hour. You can rope drop but that only seems to help if you’re at the very front of the pack. I often ride around sunset because it’s fun when it’s dark and it’s better waiting in line when it’s not hot.

Good luck!

3 Likes

Hagrid’s hasn’t used VL in 4 years. I had asked TP to remove that language from the touring plans, but they insist it should be there “just in case”. :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Than last year, yes

Yes usually

That sounds like a great plan!

2 Likes

I’d say at least one hour. If you aren’t in that first 25% of people near the entry, you’ll get stuck in an 60+ minute wait.

No one pushes or shoves. However, you can see the people that are in full “Thunderdome” mode as they rush past you!! I no longer full on “run” to it at EPA. However, I still power walk past a lot of people…

I was just there last week during an early morning delay. This isn’t my first time it’s happened. However, you can tell if it’s going to be a long delay or not by IF they even allow you to enter the queue. If it’s just a short wait you’ll still be able to get in. If they really don’t know if it’d going to open during EPA they won’t let you in the queue…

Yes. However, don’t push it right to the end. I’d say get there with no less than 5 minutes until close. I have been at rides about 2 minutes to closing only to be turned away…

6 Likes
4 Likes

4 Likes

That’s not quite true - they were using it when we were there Labor Day 2021 - but may not have since then.

2 Likes

Ah. I believe that’s when they were testing a new VL system for Hagrid, which failed for whatever reason.

2 Likes

This promotion popped up recently

5 Likes

A couple of Volcano Bay maintenence closures:

Ko’okiri Body Plunge: January 2 - February 14, 2024
The Reef (small pool): January 2 - February 14, 2024

3 Likes

The Mardi Gras Float Ride & Dine Experience is now available for booking.

(Weekends are $95.)

3 Likes

According to multiple sources, paper park maps will be leaving the parks on Jan. 1, 2024.

I forgot to get one from my last trip! I just paid $3 on eBay for one… :rofl:

4 Likes

Oh that’s a shame. I love paper maps as souvenirs. And I find the map on the app to be utterly useless. Though that may be user error.

5 Likes

I didn’t have problems with the app. And they have been improving some things on it the last year.

The map seemed ok. I mean, it had the blue dot at your location.

1 Like

I think I’m just old and don’t get on with apps.

3 Likes

The removal of paper maps seemed inevitable. Still, seems kind of sad.

Then again, we rarely use paper maps for anything, including amusement parks, any longer!

2 Likes

I don’t think I even picked one up at any point on my last trip :thinking:

Would need one for when Epic opens though and I expect I will miss the paper copy then.

2 Likes

I did forget to pick one up at Universal last year, though I got all my Disney ones.

1 Like

I don’t think I have ever picked up a paper map but I think the app is useless for maps. There have been improvements in the app but it still frustrating to use.

1 Like