Underrated Restaurants

So I’m planning a new trip with just 35 days to go and I’m thinking about dining options. I asked my kids where they wanted to eat and they said “the usual”. It’s making me think that I need to mix things up and not eat at all the same places.

What are some of your favorite restaurants that perhaps aren’t the most popular but that you love?

2 Likes

We always went to T-Rex :t_rex: but since reopening with a limited menu…, I’d look at current reviews. My girls always ask for Pizza Rizzo for their ceasar salads and cannolis.

Wow–I would never have thought of either of those since the reviews aren’t great. I do love cannolis though.

1 Like

I feel like Jungle Skipper Navigation Co is terribly underrated. Can usually get an ADR right up until day of, or even day of.

The atmosphere is fun, the servers are fun, and the food is fantastic. It’s a must-do for us, but given the availability of ADRs, I’m guessing not so much for everyone!

3 Likes

We did eat there last month and really enjoyed our dinner. We could definitely repeat that (cheese bread and sangria :yum:).

Favorite meals this trip, not necessarily underrated: Teppan Edo, Storybook Dining, Topolino’s for breakfast. Ale & Compass had a nice buffet option at breakfast that gave you an entree and a beverage as well as the buffet. My entree plus coffee would have equaled the cost of the buffet, so it was a very nice deal.
I love the French fries at Sci-Fi.

1 Like

My daughters and I did CRT while my husband and son did Skipper and my son is still raving about how amazing the food was at Skipper.

My personal favorite underrated is Garden Grill:

• Family style, so you won’t be there forever
  • Food is delicious
  • Entertaining, as the restaurant spins and you can see Living on the Land
  • Also - there are characters!
2 Likes

We seem to like Mama Melrose more than most people.

2 Likes

I love Rainforest Cafe for some weird reason… so much so that my kids call it by it’s slogan “a wild place to shop and eat”. I know there are probably better and fancier places in AK but it works for us and they have good salad options which can be lacking at WDW.

1 Like

We really like Tony’s as well which I assume is similar to MM based on menus. Is it basically Olive Garden quality? Yes. (And don’t get me wrong, I can holler at some Olive Garden.) But they have wine and the staff have been so fun there, plus the location puts you in prime spots for parade and fireworks.

We went for dinner last trip and because our ADR started late we were just finishing up when fireworks started so we kind of waited to leave until it was all done. Next time I would try to time it to finish our meal right before fireworks so we can watch close to the front of the park and then make a quick skedaddle out. Or the parade viewing package if that is back.

3 Likes

Yeah I think Olive Garden is fair enough for MM. our last meal there was a touch better but I like to keep expectations low :slight_smile: However we really like the dark atmosphere on a hot lunchtime rezzie. It says little Italy to me. And also says dark and air conditioned.

At night it would not strike me the same in terms of nice contrast to outside so I like it for lunch.

4 Likes

I haven’t done the buffet at A&C but I may have to check that out.

I wish breakfast was back at GG–that was my favorite.

5 Likes

That may be one we need to try again–it’s been years since we ate there and all my kids like Italian.

1 Like

Tony’s is in a good location. We ate there in January outside and saw calvacades and the flag retreat.

4 Likes

I know it’s somewhat divisive, but I love SAI. I could eat there every trip and never be disappointed. The brunch at Olivia’s was my favorite (behind Topolinos of course) on my September trip.

1 Like

I must admit I have never eaten at SAI, but it sounds like I need to put that on the list.

1 Like

I really enjoyed SAI.
We had a lovely table by the water and the food was great.

3 Likes

One of my faves. It was weird last week though… it wasn’t turning. Are they saving money or was it just temporarily broken??? I hope the latter

2 Likes

The tables by the water look amazing.

2 Likes