Ugh another 2-factor identification process

Always a favorite. Always makes me think of you :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Half the time I don’t get emails until months later.

1 Like

I literally just tried to log onto my account (which I have apple sign in) and it’s now not recognizing my saved password. Good lord.

I just read an interesting perspective n this that I hadn’t thought of.

This will put up obstacles to those who maintain availability charts for rooms, like the brokers, dvchelp.com and a new site I heard about the other day called dvcfieldguide.com

1 Like

The dvc field guide, is he selling what others are providing for free?

I did hear a recent interview with Pete from dvchelp and he did start with daily manual checks to first get his data. It will be interesting to see how this impacts him.

Dvcfieldguide have published a book, but how useful it would be given how often changes can happen I’m not sure. The site was posted on MO as an alternative to dvchelp for resort availability.

I just looked at some of the resort info pages where he’s combined room info with other people’s room and resort tours. The room tours are from Hear with the Ears, but the resort tours are from different people,; I found a couple of mistakes in the commentary of one, possibly just a slip of the tongue or confusion over terms but still wrong enough to jump out at me.

I didn’t look at his info pages on how DVC actually works.

I’ll stick with Pete’s site for now.

1 Like

How so?

In order to scrape the availability charts I assume they have to log into the DVC site. That could previously have been done automatically but now they will have to have someone actually do the log in process in person.

I have assumed they’ve been logging in with their own DVC login. I have always understood it to be a manual process

It can be hard for some people to pay attention to DVC details. My example is from touring plans. There was a DVC highest rated rooms video? Included in this, “we are not including two bedrooms at Jambo because they are all lock offs” but BWV (also all lock offs) were included. Also, it was noted that the garden/pool view is a great point saver when you request the village green area since you get partial Boardwalk view (same points).

2 Likes

Yes they will be using their own login but It’s pretty easy to write a bit of code to do that.
2FA will mean someone has to input a code manually.
That was all I was thinking.

I hope Pete talks about how this impacts him when it is reported on his DVC News Podcast. He is also on the My DVC Points Community Facebook page.

I just realize this morning that how I planned to handle the Memory Maker Share will now have to be adapted slightly. Sharing the login credentials won’t be good enough. Will end up having to be more coordinated.

I was a huge fan of DVCapp - and the really hadn’t come back since the opening. It really was a great service as far as getting notification of room availability. I really was holding up hope that it would eventually come back. I don’t think they be able to constantly scroll the site for availability anymore…

2 Likes

Anyone tried this yet? Experiences?

Here’s mine. I may have reacted hastily at the announcement but it shows this isn’t always going to be plain sailing for those of us relying on the email.

So I logged on and the passcode came through and got a nice green tick. Just got as far as my dashboard when my phone rang.

By the time I finished the call I’d been logged off. Tried again. No email. Nada. By the time it came through eventually it was invalid as it had been too long. The wifi is fine, so just a delay in the email coming through.

Now imagine that happening if I needed to log on at the resort when checking in.

Anyway I guess I’ll need to call them later and let them know what happened. See what they suggest.

This is only in place for DVC right now?

The original email suggest that anything using the Disney One user id-

So I am thinking this will eventually be rolled out across all of it…

My guess is shop disney
Disney gift card
D23
Marvel
Ect

I did see quite a few reports of the gift card website accounts that were hacked last year - no idea if this is connected to the change…

Worked okay for me.

Now asks if you want text or email. So hopefully no more emailing when I want texts!

1 Like

Loved it so much!

This same thing happened to me a couple weeks back. I had to clear the cache and history to get into the accounting portal. Somehow, and I’m sure it was just a little box that was checked, gmail decided my computer wasn’t a trusted source and needed 2FA. Cool. I don’t remember opting in for this but ok. Weelllll, it was trying to send a text to a land line, it couldn’t find a trusted device to send the code to (new phone, hadn’t signed into work email yet), and the other option was to send an email, to the email address I was trying to get into. My personal email is the “back up” email but it didn’t give me that option. My work laptop was also logged out, so no go there. After half a day being locked out I asked DH to check our 3 home computers to see if any would let me in. One old laptop was signed in. Was able to access the emails to authenticate. Then it said in 24 hours we will unlock your account for new sign ins… I then had DH forward all emails to an icloud account. Next day I turned that mess off! So stressful.