Two Sisters, Disney After Hours, Deluxe Evening Hours, Lots of Lounges Trip Report Jan 23-28, '23

Thursday 1-26

We slept in a bit and then went to the spa at Shades of Green for massages. There are no spa amenities like soaking tubs, robes or fancy waiting areas, but the services were great for a-- frankly --amazing price.

Then, to Animal kingdom! We took a Lyft and arrived at 2PM. This was the only day our lackadaisical touring style kept us from experiences we wanted to do. We were hungry when we arrived, and I had acquired a Landry card because I knew we would want to go to Yak and Yeti, and I couldn’t get a reservation. They took us right away to a table by the window overlooking the tree out front and made us feel special. We had leechee martinis and shared coconut shrimp for an appetizer. YUM! Drink-O-Meter 10/10. We both had Salmon, one of us the Szechuan and one of us the miso glazed. We loved watching the families pose for pics against the tree and seeing all of the people walk by.

We rode Dinosaur via DAS, and got one for Navi when we tapped in. We realized that we were too late for shows so we thought we would go and do some trails and then hit a sunset safari. However, they had closed off all of Africa by 5! We thought that was weird as I was always told sunset was a great time to do the Safari and the park didn’t close until 7. We were initially kind of bummed as we love animals and there were none to be seen. I think they were in their inside areas as it was pretty cold this day. But a benefit of not really having anything to go and do is that we really had time to slow down and take in the plants, music and building elements in the park. We got a couple of hot chai lates and just wandered and sat and wandered and sat some more. This park really is the most beautiful Disney immersive experience.

The sun was setting, so we made our way into Pandora and really took our time admiring everything. Eventually, we rode Navi and I enjoyed it even more than the last time I rode it because of appreciating the whole land so thoroughly before getting on the ride. On our way out of the park, we saw great crowds of name tagged convention-goers lining up. That must have been why large parts of the park were shut down so early. I’ll bet they had a great night.
Pandora

We headed over to Animal Kingdom Lodge via Lyft to meet up with our cousin who lives in St. Pete. She made a reservation at Jiko so that she would be able to park. We had a wine flight at Victoria Lounge and then to Jiko where we shared scallops, mac and cheese and the Injera Basket, as well as lots of fun family gossip and political opinions. And… more wine. We closed the place down.

Deep thought: Something about this visit to AK and AK Lodge allowed for so much more immersion into the environments and a deeper appreciation for what all of the people involved were able to create. I can see why people go back time after time. Those little details like the little fires that lead you in to the resort are so magical. I can’t wait to go back and do the things we missed out on. (Nomad Lounge, I will be back for you.)

14 Likes

The trails always close early. I am not sure about KS, though.

Definitely this. I love the vibe of AK and AKL.

2 Likes

Friday 1-27

Our last day already! We went back to Epcot as planned, actually getting there in the morning. I know! We rode Living with the Land first, there was no line. It’s so retro in that building, love it. We drew a DAS for Frozen later. We walked around a bit and started thinking about those margaritas and well…while we were in line for La Cava, the hostess asked if we wanted a table. We were pleasantly surprised, ‘cause it seemed mobbed with a giant line, but I guess our timing was right. It was so cute in there. We both ordered the Dragones again and the Trio appetizer which was so yummy. I live in a mecca for good Mexican restaurants but somehow this little place is so fabulous.

We started feeling festive and sent obnoxious pictures to our husbands back at home and then meant to order one more to share but got two. Oh well, what is a gal to do? (Potty Humor Warning) And then someone just let one rip right there in that tiny place. It was eye-searing and really uncalled for. We were horrified and also got the giggles. All the patrons were looking at each other in shock. We paid and got out of there. We rode Frozen again and did some shopping. I saw the cutest little Queen of Hearts meeting Alice! I love how the countries have goodies unique to them.

We exited the International Gateway and took a boat to the Boardwalk. First time there, what a pretty place! We got a bus from there to Magic Kingdom. Time for Adventure! We got a Dole Whip and took that into the Tiki Room, where we sat behind a group of cast members enjoying the park. This was both irritating because they talked the whole time, but also adorable because they were just adorable cast members and we love them. We rode Jungle Cruise and then went to Country Bears. CBJ is a national treasure and we sat right by the heads. The other people in the theater were into it like we were which made it fun. We hit up Momento Mori to do some shopping and I was totally shocked that I didn’t want anything in there. Last time I spent a fortune and had to pick and choose. Not loving the style of the current swag but it will change again sometime, and I will once again be filled with desire. But what happened to the make yourself into a creepy portrait thing? Travesty!

Now it was time to get over to our one dining reservation, Storybook Dining at Artist Point. We took the boat over and had fun checking out Wilderness Lodge. They have a very fun store there with things you won’t see other places. We had a glass of wine at Territory Lounge waiting for our reservation. I’m not too fond of the remodel. I liked it when it felt more dark and loungey. We had a great time at the dinner. The food was pretty good and the characters were really fun. Especially the Evil Queen of course. I would not do it again just because it was a little chaotic and loud…the room had that slight cafeteria-like vibe that all character meals seem to have. Still it was nice to do once.

I’ll wrap this up next time with our short trip to Disney Springs and final thoughts.

12 Likes

Thank you! We feel this way, too.

My sister loves villains; I’m hoping one day we can score an ADR here some of these trips.

2 Likes

The Villains are the best! I’m sure you can get in. The latest slot is pretty easy to score.

1 Like

I am the Switzerland of ice cream treats. I say yes and yes. Oh and I also love a frozen banana- got that one from my mom.

2 Likes

Saturday 1-28

It was time to pack up and go home. Our cousin and her daughter came and picked us up at the hotel and we all went over to Disney Springs together. We had a reservation at Morimoto Asia for lunch as we had gone there in the past and loved it. It’s a beautiful place and the food is amazing. DSis had sushi, I had the buri-bop (in which a piece of yellowtail is cooked on the side of a blazing hot rice bowl), DCousin and D2ndCousin shared the lettuce wraps and the orange chicken. Everything was just delish! We didn’t have a ton of time but did a bit of shopping in the Marketplace Co-op. Then it was time to head to MCO for our flights home.

Final Thoughts:

You read so much about how society has broken down at Disney and people are horrible and cast members are worn out and sad. Happily we saw none of this. Our fellow park goers were as happy to be there as we were and there were many adorable families being sweet to each other and other people. I was knee to knee with a bunch of teenaged girls on Jungle Cruise and they were just so cute and into it. We only had wonderful service and helpful guidance from cast members and mostly they seemed like they were enjoying themselves. Things seemed to be fully-staffed and running smoothly. The parks seemed clean and well-maintained. I was so relieved to see this. It would have made me very sad to see otherwise.

It was a magical time to share with my sister and we had so much fun. We share so many similarities in how we like to vacation and it was a rare and wonderful time to just get her to myself and for both of us to do what we like to do without having to accommodate other people. We took full advantage of it.

Best Ride: Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (Extra points for only being at DW)
Best New Ride: Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway
Best Food: Steakhouse 71
Best Drink: Dragones Top Shelf
Best Thing to Trow Money At: Lyft
Stuff We Missed: Space 220 Lounge, Nomad Lounge, Most things at AK, that coffee old fashioned at FARTS
Overrated: Rope Dropping, Guardians, Dining Reservations, Waking Up Just to Get an LL.
(Note: I understand my overrated list is not that of practically every other sane person on earth.)

Thanks for reading and for all the trip reports I’ve loved to read. They make day-to-day life a little more fun.

14 Likes

I think things are finally back to where they were precovid for the most part. I’ve been a few times since 2021 and I will say it took until my trip in December for it to mostly feel back to normal for me. You can read any of my old trip reports from 2021-early 2022 and they all ended with kind of a bummer bc the magic was lacking. I even let my AP expire bc I was just so sad about the way things were. I think now that cultural representatives are back, the college program is full speed ahead, and most rides and restaurants are near full capacity again it really makes a difference. You picked a really great time for your return trip.

6 Likes

Such a fun trip report! And the only report of Steakhouse 71 that makes me think I might try it (The Wave held a special place for me).

3 Likes