Turning Red

Just watched this today. It is super cute and a great coming of age story. Not quite the usual Pixar tear jerker and not a Lin Manuel Miranda soundtrack, but still very good. I liked it better than Luca.

6 Likes

I enjoyed it overall but I did not like Meiā€™s mother.

3 Likes

Is it on D+? I watched a sneak peek at HS last week. It seemed like it would be cute

2 Likes

Yes, it dropped on D+ yesterday.

2 Likes

Yeah they didnā€™t quite redeem her like they usually do with ā€˜villainsā€™ in stories.

3 Likes

I loved loved loved this movie! I came on to start a thread about it as we just finished watching it for movie night and saw you started one!

Same for me personally, but my DS4 couldnā€™t stop crying near the end. Heā€™s such a sensitive soul. :two_hearts: I do admit that I thoroughly enjoyed the cuddles that resulted from said tears. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Cute movie. My 3 boys enjoyed it, despite it mentioning female puberty. They thought the anime effects were pretty cool.

I seriously gasped at what Meiā€™s mom did at the school, as I felt my prior teenage soul die of embarrassment for Mei.

I personally liked the story better than Encanto (ducking).

8 Likes

In this situation, I didnā€™t think she was a villain. Instead, it seemed like she was the victim of a vicious cycle, as was seen in the ā€œwoodsā€ when she was a teenager like Mei.

6 Likes

Thoughts on this for younger kids? 8ā€™and 5?

Yeah thatā€™s why I put it in ā€™ ā€™ bc sheā€™s not really a villian, but for the purpose of this story she kinda was. She had a good reason for doing what she did.

I am not able to judge that, but itā€™s definitely geared more toward tweens. There was nothing inappropriate for younger kids, but I donā€™t know that theyā€™d ā€˜getā€™ it.

1 Like

Okay I was thinking a lot of the topics would go over their head which is fine. They just think the red panda looks cute in the promo.

1 Like

It is ridiculously cute!

3 Likes

I enjoyed it. I still like Encanto better. I donā€™t understand why they couldnā€™t have raised her by preparing her for what was going to happen. Teach her to control her emotions. Reminds me a bit of Frozen. Learn to use it and not be afraid of the power.

4 Likes

My kids are 14, 9, and 4 and they all enjoyed it!

2 Likes

I had no idea what to expect, I had not watched any trailers, so I was expecting some sort of animal movie.

DD almost 9 and I were home alone and we watched it together, and I LOVED it. It hit me in the feels watching it with her at this age. I loved that they addressed puberty, first crushes, changing and becoming your own person and the changing dynamics in the mother/daughter relationship. It just felt like the right movie at the right time. Major credit to Disney/Pixar for dealing with all of these big issues so well.

9 Likes

I agree! I donā€™t think Iā€™ve seen a movie address the issue of puberty so directly, or capture the essence of middle school friendship so well. I love that in this movie, just like Ronā€™s Gone Wrong (which I also LOVED), the characters can disagree and struggle with the changing relationship with their parents but still love and honor their families.

So many movies especially with tween/teen characters seem to go the easy route of ā€œparents just donā€™t understandā€ and have the hero move on alone, and put family traditions and parents in a condescending or pitying light. Not enough credit to kids or parents that love can be complicated but also unconditional and you can still learn from each other, growth doesnā€™t have to mean growth apart. I like that Disney is starting to portray more complex family relationships.

5 Likes

We watched it last night and everyone liked it!
Especially the Toronto setting!

4 Likes

Some of what one might call the usual suspects are having red-faced fits because it apparently (Iā€™ve not seen it, only read a couple of reviews) shades a little too close to the subject of ā€œladiesā€™ issuesā€ and has been deemed unwholesome.

You may wish to file that under ā€œthis is why we canā€™t have nice things.ā€

7 Likes

Apparently.

2 Likes