Tumblemonkeys Aug 2021 Trip Report

DAY 6: FANTASIA GARDENS, SKYLINER, AND BOATHOUSE

It was the third sleep-in morning of the vacation (what are we, crazy relaxing people now?). I enjoyed another yoga workout in the living room, and we ate a leisurely breakfast at the house. Then we drove (specifically, DD16 drove!) to Fantasia Gardens, where we had an 11:15 tee time. The area is under construction for the new Swan Reserve, but the lot was accessible (once you find the entrance). It’s free to park if you’re golfing there.

We had done the Gardens course here (the one with the Fantasia characters) back in 2016, and that’s the one we played again. But golfer DH spotted the Fairways course (the one with no characters and tricky greens), and we decided we might want to try that one sometime, now that we’ve done Gardens twice. Anyway, the Gardens course is cute, especially the Fantasia musical cues. It was not too crowded and had a decent amount of shade, and we appreciated both.

Our plan after that was to walk over the Epcot International Gateway and hop on the Skyliner, which we’d never ridden. A few of us were borderline hangry and grabbed a snack in the pro shop. I asked the staff if we could leave the car, and they said sure. We started off on foot, crossing the road from Fantasia Gardens to the Swan and Dolphin, and walking past those resorts to the Boardwalk Inn. Now, it was midday in Orlando in August, so even though these were not long distances to walk, they felt it. We took a break at the Boardwalk, ordering pizza slices and smoothies (both good!), buying sunscreen ($18.99!) in the Screen Door shop, and generally taking in the atmosphere. We had stayed at Boardwalk Inn on a previous trip, so I wanted to stop in to take a peek around. As I was leaving, I noticed a bride and groom (and wedding photographer) preparing to see each other for the first time - aww!

We finally finished our half-loop around Crescent Lake and reached the Epcot Skyliner Station. We boarded and took off toward Riviera, riding past that station to Caribbean Beach Resort, and then transferring to ride back to Epcot. I thought it was a lovely way to travel!

The second half of the walk, though, seemed even longer than the first! We walked past Beach and Yacht Clubs, back past the Swan and Dolphin, and across the road to our car. The whole thing took almost 3 hours, and while I’m very glad to have ridden the Skyliner, I probably shouldn’t have been so casual about scheduling all that walking on a rest day (thanks to my patient family for making the trek)! At the house, we showered and relaxed a bit before dinner. DS13 and I checked out the PlayStation mini game system in our loft; we played some variation of Tetris that I had never seen before.

We drove to Disney Springs for dinner at The BOATHOUSE (actual capitalization - not sure why!). This was another reservation we picked up when our party sized changed. We decided to save our original plan, Ford’s Garage restaurant, for next year, when we have our car lovers along on the trip. We asked to eat outside and were seated quickly, and it was very pleasant on the deck, with a water view and a nice flow of air. On Liner recommendation, DH and I both got the filet sliders. They were so good that apparently the only picture I took all night was of them! DD liked her fish tacos, but DS was not so wild about his Mac and Cheese with Shrimp and Andouille Sausage, hold the andouille sausage - mostly because they forgot to hold the andouille sausage! The BOATHOUSE dessert menu looked tempting, but we had another idea.

We wandered over to World of Disney, but only ended up browsing there for a short time. And then, without further ado, we went on to our dessert destination (and possibly new champion as DH’s favorite Disney restaurant), Ghiradelli! We had a bit of a wait (enough so that my Columbia Freezer Dress had stopped living up to its name), but the rewards were sweet.

I think this was the night we finished up by watching the premiere of Marvel’s What If? on Disney Plus (we liked it). Then, it was early to bed, before our final Rope Drop morning of the trip.

7 Likes

Pictures from Day 6:

7 Likes

Sounds like another fun day, maybe except the walking!

1 Like

Fun! We’ve never managed to do mini golf w the kids. Always mean to then the pool calls us

1 Like

Totally!

1 Like

It’s hard to fit it all in. This was the second time we got the Water Parks and Sports add-on, and the first time we barely used any of it. But that probably motivated us to actually get it in this time. Recommend booking a tee time, too - both for motivation and for avoiding a wait.

U.K. ticket includes water parks & minigolf- we do always do water park days. (Just not that slide…)

2 Likes

Aww, you’re missing out, though!

Yeah but no one wants to see me at the bottom with my swimsuit under my armpits…

2 Likes

DAY 7: Hollywood Studios

Good morning (or good afternoon) to anyone still reading about the last full day of my trip! We woke up early to rope drop Hollywood Studios, leaving the house around 7:40 with the hopes of parking when the gates opened around 8. This worked out extremely well. Lines were just starting to stack up at the tapstiles, and coincidentally, we ended up having to stop in the shade of the entry arches, which was a great perk! We were let in around 8:15 and walked at a normal speed to the right of the Chinese Theater to line up for Toy Story Land. We began to move a few minutes later, and we reached Slinky Dog somewhere in the middle of the pack, riding with about a 15 minute wait. Toy Story Land was new to us this trip, and we all thought Slinky was a lot of fun!

Next up was Millennium Falcon Smuggler’s Run in Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge. SWGE was also new to us. It was funny how difficult it was to find everything without the usual signage! We had about a 30 minute wait for MFSR. I enjoyed the queue and absorbing the feel of SWGE through the windows. The Falcon’s chess table was an especially nice touch. DD and DH were pilots, DS and I were gunners, and two single riders were engineers. I thought the ride was at least OK, but neither of our pilots liked it at all, and my fellow gunner didn’t seem too impressed, either. We spent some time taking pictures in Galaxy’s Edge afterward, and decided to get some blue and green milk as a snack. We tried each combo: blue and green, with and without alcohol. They definitely looked cool, but were more of a novelty than something I would choose to buy again for the taste!

We had one more ride we wanted to knock out in our morning session before taking a break, and that was Rock n Roller Coaster. The line wasn’t bad and we all like that ride. We left the park around 11 just as wait times were getting prohibitive. For some reason, the trend at HS at that point was horrible lines from 11-2, so we decided to spend that time eating, napping, and swimming at home instead of pushing through. I loved our midday break! Eating at the house helped us use up a lot of our groceries on that last day, and I enjoyed both a swim and a nap before we returned to the park at 3.

We had Rise of the Resistance Boarding Group 70, and I thought it would be called during our break, but the estimated time kept getting pushed back. Our first priority after break was Tower of Terror. This was our first time riding without a Fast Pass, and the regular queue was so cool! DS had never ridden before but loved it. The kids spent some time browsing the gift shop here. Then we treated ourselves to a few donuts at Joffrey’s. We had waited less than 30 minutes for ToT. As predicted, the crowds had started to thin out for the day. We walked on to Muppets 3D and then Star Tours, both sentimental favorites for us. It began to rain steadily, which continued until evening and seemed to send even more people out of the park. We put our umbrellas up and went to do Alien Swirling Saucers for the first time (which I did not enjoy) and Toy Story Mania (which I love). As we exited TSMM, I got the notification that our Boarding Group had been called, 4.5 hours later than originally projected. It was a freeform, low crowds kind of day for us, but I can see where this would have been frustrating if you had solid plans!

Not gonna lie, we had to ask three different people for directions in SWGE before we finally found Rise of the Resistance. With the rain, we were annoyed by having to retrace our steps again and again due to the lack of signage, and we had even started to turn on one another! As we entered the queue, I had to consciously force myself to be in the moment instead of annoyed. I’m so glad I did. I had researched, practiced getting boarding groups every day, and avoided spoilers for over a year. I was going to fully experience this ride! It was great, and I would encourage anyone who still hasn’t had a chance to ride to keep avoiding those spoilers! There are no ROTR photos in this trip report. :sunglasses:

After ROTR, we grabbed a quick dinner at ABC Commissary. It was cute and the menu looked appealing, but our food was only so-so. It was another smooth Mobile Order experience, though, and it was nice to get out of the rain! Then we headed to the final new-to-us ride of the night, Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway. This ride was so lighthearted and technically impressive, and was one of my favorites of the trip! The rain let up while we were inside, so we decided to venture back to Sunset Blvd one more time before calling it a night. One our way to Rock n Roller Coaster, my DD saw a WDW YouTuber she follows, and was kicking herself for the rest of the trip for not saying hello. After RnRC, I saw the Lines app had Tower of Terror as a posted 13 minute wait. This seemed odd, but it’s exactly what the sign said, too (I guess 13 because it’s scary)! It was truly a walk on, and the Cast Member at our elevator was in character to a hilarious extent! It was a thrilling end to our last park day.

Back at the house, DS and DH played some pool in our garage game room. This room was a fun extra but didn’t get a ton of use due to the August heat. I was glad they got a game in!

A little more still to come on our departure day. Thanks for following along!

6 Likes

Photos from Day 7:

8 Likes

I also rode MMRR for the first time in June and thought it was my favorite too! It is just so fun and I was blown away by the technology. We rode ROTR for the first time and it was stellar but MMRR had my :heart:

1 Like

Exactly, @kjsprouse_577366!

1 Like

I am worried about finding my way round in SWGE! It looks so confusing to me. Love your pics. Maybe I need a SW T shirt for next year.

3 Likes

You do! Can’t wait to read your trip report. Even though it’s a year off and not my trip, I am already excited for it!

1 Like

Aw thanks! DS and I were just saying how excited we are.

1 Like

Great pics!!

1 Like

Of course you do!!

2 Likes

I am only really a SW fan by necessity so I don’t own any. I just had a look and saw lots of cute ones.

2 Likes

I don’t own any either but I love the Princess Leia one @TumbleMonkeys has :heart_eyes: and think I need one too!

2 Likes