Tumblemonkeys Aug 2021 Trip Report

Day 3 - Blizzard Beach Cabana and Olivia’s Cafe Anniversary Dinner

Hello again! Monday was a late-start day. We enjoyed sleeping in and relaxing (and DD and I even cued up a YouTube yoga workout in the living room!). We arrived at Blizzard Beach about an hour after their 11 AM opening. We checked in at the Beach House (I think?) to get our Polar Patio (cabana) rental location, which was Patio 12, along the lazy river near the Warming Hut.

They gave us our towels and mugs to take with us at check in, too. Not sure if that is a standard or a COVID practice. Patio rental is a flat fee for up to six people, and then a charge per additional guest (which we did not end up having). Our August 9 cost was $362. That included the location, refillable souvenir drink mugs, water, and towels. In addition to that fee, we tipped our attendant, as well as tipped on our food and bar tabs. The patio was cool - semi private, nicely shaded, with Adirondack wood chairs. Our attendant was very responsive and nice. We ordered a few frozen drinks, a nacho platter, and an entrée. I think all came from different restaurants, but he kept the process very seamless on our end. In terms of value, the park was not crowded so I’m sure we could have found shade on our own. But it was definitely a fun indulgence. All the food and drinks were good, although the refillable mugs attracted many bees.

As a family, we took the chair lift to Teamboat Springs and also rode the Runoff Rapids slides. Waits were short, but the pavement was hot! We’ll bring water shoes next year for sure. We hopped off the sidewalks and traveled by lazy river back to our patio before heading out again. I had a date with destiny (and DD needed her phone to document it).

At some point during 18 months of planning, I had decided that a plunge down Summit Plummet was just what I needed to shake off all the COVID stress. And since I ran my mouth about it on Lines chat, I needed proof that I actually rode (see above!). DS rode, too, and liked it a lot. The scariest part was waiting near the top with him and my irrational Mom fear that he would fall off the tower! He was a champ (and I lived to tell). It was fun and I would do it again. In theory. Next year. DS also rode Slush Gusher, but I was content with just the one terrifying plunge.

It was getting windy and gloomy and we packed up to go just as the rides shut down due to thunder. The kids got in a quick swim in the wave pool first. But there was a whole area of slides (Snow Stormers, Downhill Double Dippers) we did not get to. I hope to get back there next year and ride those. I think my sister, niece, and nephews will really like Blizzard Beach, and I thought about them a lot that day.

August 9, 2021 was DH’s and my 18th wedding anniversary, so I booked a nice dinner (for all 4 of us) as soon as our plans changed. Olivia’s Café at Old Key West resort was my pick, for outdoor seating and good last-minute availability. Due to rain, though, we ended up eating inside. The restaurant and resort were bright, cheerful, and casual, and we ate every bite of our delicious food (fried chicken for DH and DS; Caesar salads with shrimp/steak for DD and me). We also split a banana pudding sundae dessert and did a little souvenir shopping. It was a fun way to celebrate the occasion (as we even unintentionally wore matching shirts - well, sort of!).

Then, it was an early night in, to rest up for MK rope drop the next morning. Thanks for following along!

5 Likes

Pictures from Day 3:

Happy anniversary, Donald! Love, Minnie

12 Likes

Belated Happy Anniversary! Sounds like a fun day.

1 Like

Thanks @missoverexcited!

1 Like

What a lovely way to spend your anniversary. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

Thanks for reading, @TheSafetyLady!

Just catching up with this now- sounds fun! And very belated happy anniversary :clinking_glasses:

1 Like

Thank you, @hodg!

Day 4 - Magic Kingdom:

Like many of you probably do, I love Disney planning. And to me, the Magic Kingdom day is the pinnacle of the plan. I had no less than 10 different personalized MK plans on my Lines app by the time the trip finally arrived. :joy: Everything kept changing, from lack of FPP to crowd levels to rope drop procedures. Now, I love MK - that park is pure Disney joy - but it is challenging, too, due to the sheer number of attractions, the fact that we try to do it in one day. Armed with water, sun umbrellas, and the best information we had available, we soldiered on toward the TTC on Tuesday morning, arriving at 7:45 and taking an uncrowded early ferry to the park. Park entry was easy, no hold ups at security or the taps. We meandered down Main Street and took a place in semi-shade near the Liberty Square entrance. At exactly 9, we were off!

Arriving at Splash, we saw that it had not opened yet, and got caught up in kind of a confusing double-back to eventually get in line for BTMRR. Despite a fairly long wait there, the wait times across the park still looked very low when we got out. We headed to Pirates, which was basically a walk on, and then got Dole Whips as a mid-morning snack. Splash was still not up, so we went over to Peter Pan. After a few minutes in a longish queue for PP, I saw that Splash had opened, so we bailed and headed back down to Frontierland. Splash was a long, hot wait of about 45 minutes, but it never disappoints!

By now, things were fully hot and crowded, and this was the most frustrating part of our day. We checked the line for Haunted Mansion, but decided to bypass it in favor of some of our New Fantasyland favorites. Our beloved Little Mermaid ride was no exception to the hot and crowded trend. It was weird to be baking in the sun for a ride that used to be a walk on - I assume because the FPP queue area used to hold a lot of people but is not being used. We Mobile Ordered lunch at Pinocchio’s, then decided to do the Barnstormer first. It was easy to move our Mobile Order window a few minutes later on the app. I enjoyed both LM and Barnstormer, but crowds and the sun were pretty bad and we all needed a break.

All of our Mobile Order food experiences were super quick, including this one. Pinocchio’s was still kind of confusing, though. Cast Members posted at each door had to direct the lunch crowds to Mobile Order and enter through the appropriate doors. Once inside, the flatbreads (and especially the ice water) went a long way to perking us up. We plotted out our afternoon while we ate. We considered going home for a break, but the first Boo Bash was that night and I was worried it was only going to get more crowded. We decided to stick it out, which I think was the right call. After lunch we headed to the Peoplemover, Space Mountain, Buzz, and the Carousel of Progress (although DS and I opted for ice cream instead of COP). It had gotten cloudy, most of these lines were quick and indoors, and the ice cream was really good, so our spirits had definitely improved since the long outdoor waits of the morning!

We decided to make our last stops of the day Hall of Presidents and Haunted Mansion. It was almost 6 and I had meatballs in the Crock Pot waiting for us at the house. While in line for HM, we ran into some theatre kids we know from back home! We grabbed a few more pictures in the castle and on Main Street. I’m a huge Halloween person and I’ve always wanted to see MK at Halloween (or early August with Halloween decorations :wink:), so this was fun for me. On our way to the monorail, I made a quick stop to meet @NYGIANTMickeyFan’s DH Oscar (see pics at the top of this thread), who was a greeter for Boo Bash. Between the slightly cooler weather, these fun meet ups, and seeing Boo Bash guests arrive in their costumes, we definitely ended our day on a high note.

Back at the house, I was grateful for a kitchen and a full sized fridge, which allowed me to cook and eat almost an entire bunch of broccoli with the meatballs :blush:. It was nice to be able to indulge my craving for real food after a day of theme park fare! Finally, cool and comfortable in our (Crowd Level Zero) living room, we watched the Disney Parks YouTube of Happily Ever After, right as it would have been taking place in the park at 8:45. It was a great way to end an MK day!

9 Likes

Photos from Day 4:

14 Likes

You are too cute! Thank you for saying hi and taking a picture with Oscar! He is loving that liners say hi! I’m glad you had a great trip. Come back soon.
Kelly : )

3 Likes

Day 5: Whispering Canyon and EPCOT

We had another “late start” morning on Wednesday, with a 10:15 breakfast at DH’s favorite Disney restaurant, Whispering Canyon Café at the Wilderness Lodge. He just loves that skillet! And I was loving a good night’s sleep and another YouTube yoga morning. We made our way up to the Magic Kingdom area, but took a few wrong turns (different wrong turns than the ones we took in 2016, though!). One of these days, we’ll correctly navigate to the Wilderness Lodge on our first try! Once there, the grounds were gorgeous as always (I think this is my favorite Disney resort), and the food was just as good as we remembered. My family thinks the rudeness/antics are weird, which just goes to show how good the skillet must be for us to keep coming back. For the uninitiated, the Heritage Skillet is served family style (and it’s all you can eat), and includes biscuits, gravy, scrambled eggs, Mickey waffles, potatoes, bacon, and sausage. As for the antics, our waiter just dumped a pile of straws on our table dramatically, and made fun of our last name a little bit, but otherwise, it was pretty normal.

I am not sure exactly what we did after breakfast, but we were at the house and it was definitely relaxing. We decided to hit EPCOT in the late afternoon for rides and then eat dinner in the World Showcase. We hadn’t planned on World Showcase with our extended family group, so I didn’t have much of an agenda. That casual approach, together with a number of other factors, ended up making this my favorite EPCOT day ever! Normally, we are rushing and kind of stressed, and that makes the large size of the park daunting. And normally, it is crowded, and either too hot or too cold (just like everywhere else at Disney). But this afternoon, both the temperature and the crowd levels were significantly lower than the previous day at Magic Kingdom. And it was glorious! I am embarrassed to say that this was the first time I noticed how beautiful EPCOT is (and that was even with Future World completely under construction!).

Over the course of the afternoon, we rode Spaceship Earth, Soarin’ (an unheard of 10 minute wait, and then we were seated in B1!), Living With the Land (our first time - kind of a yawn if I’m being honest?), and Figment (whatever). After Figment, the kids each found something to purchase in the Imagination gift shop. We started talking about dinner, targeting China and the Lotus Blossom Café, but stopped to browse some of the Food and Wine booths on our way (looking both for potential food options and for Pod!). We did eat in China, except for DD, who was waiting for sushi in Japan (and she ended up waiting a long time!). Lotus Blossom was just OK, but it was fun exploring this pavilion for the first time.

Test Track and Frozen both had pretty long lines, so we decided to prioritize the Donald Duck ride in Mexico instead. I always love the inside of the Mexico pavilion. It’s very well done! Then, we planned to take a lap around the World Showcase, getting sushi for DD, and finishing the night at Mission Space. But we had lost track of time, and we were afraid the park would close before we made it back to Future World. So we split up. DS and DH went around quickly and made it to Mission Space. DD and I finally got her sushi at Katsura Grill (we were inadvertently caught in the pre-fireworks, snow cone rush hour there!). Then we explored Morocco and France, finishing with a pass through the Festival area where it turned out Pod was working - score! We met up with the rest of our crew outside of Mission Space just as the fireworks were starting, which was good for our early exit strategy. They had ridden Green for the first time. I think DH liked it, but DS seemed to think it was only so-so.

We arrived at the parking lot with fireworks at our backs. It had been a fun and successful day at EPCOT (and for me, the best EPCOT day ever)!

11 Likes

Pictures from Day 5:

12 Likes

It sounds fantastic!

1 Like

Just catching up. Loving your photos! Shame we weren’t going into boobash that night as hoped to be able to meet you.

2 Likes

Liking the Captain EO* t-shirt. Very retro :+1:t2:

*If we’re still allowed to like Captain EO :grimacing::laughing:

3 Likes

I think we are. I do anyway.

3 Likes

I know! That would have been fun, @hodg.

Isn’t that cool? She found it at a thrift store. Very exciting!

2 Likes

It really was! Good weather seems to be a key to a good EPCOT day, in particular. After 2 August trips and 3 December trips, it was fun to encounter some!

2 Likes