Trip report J18A

I’m like that. Once I decide to do something, everything moves very quickly. But I can take a long time to decide to actually do the thing first.

From deciding to get a dog to getting a dog and having him in my home took about 24 hours.

1 Like

I love that you’re going again! We decided last month to book a trip right after Thanksgiving this year and I can’t wait (294 more days though sadly…). I had stayed away after our trip last year but it’s fun to be back and to start thinking about planning again! (I am not nearly as far along in my process as you however!)

Jiko is quite literally the best meal I’ve ever eaten. My husband and I have said numerous times since then that no steak will ever compare to the filet we had. And get the wild boar appetizer!

2 Likes

Fun to read your planning! We were there at about the same time last year. I’ve been back twice since then, once on a Girls Trip with my little daughters, and once on a Couples Trip with my husband. I’m sure if you were on this side of the pond you’d have been back already too, possibly more than me.

I like the phone wallpaper and I LOVE the spreadsheet. What program to you use to make it?

One thing that I saw as I read your rough draft, is on your MK day, are you sure you want to have a buffet meal and then a “dessert buffet” immediately after? Crystal Palace will have dessert you’ve already paid for. And when you finish there, you’ll be in a prime spot to find a place to watch the fireworks. You literally just have to walk a few steps or so. The dessert party may be overkill, and money you could spend on something else.

Something to think over.

I’m excited for you!!

1 Like

Don’t you hate it when people make sensible suggestions?!

My motivation for booking the dessert party is not the desserts, but the guaranteed good view. In my head I’ve persuaded myself that it’ll be impossible to find anywhere to get a good view, unless I stake out a spot an hour in advance, and then defend it aggressively until the fireworks begin.

On the other hand, I have already overspent on this trip and I’m not even there yet. The two VIP tours are slightly naughty — and have cost more than I thought once I worked out the cost in pounds.

Indeed! Thank you!

Skipper’s Canteen might be a fun option for dinner in MK before the dessert party. You can order something light like a salad or a couple of appetizers there. Just a thought.

1 Like

I agree that Jiko is always amazing! I have never had a bad entree but the wild boar app is a “ can’t miss” item.

1 Like

Never had Jiko, but would LOVE to. My only concern is how child friendly it is. My kids were 6 when we went and will be turning 10 when they go back. They are also incredibly picky eaters.

1 Like

Anywhere except maybe V&A is child friendly, especially older kids, though there will probably be littles dining there too.

1 Like

I have gone at 5:00 and we had a 20 month old with us. At that time every table had a child eating. Other times I have had 8:00 or 9:00 ADRs and there are no children in the restaurant.

1 Like

@jason.darnell1976 at Ohana last year, I asked the server if they had ANYTHING besides what was on the table, and he rattled off at least 3 picky child friendly options… (hotdogs, chicken tenders, mac&cheese). Even though it’s not on the menu, it doesn’t hurt to ask.

1 Like

So on our next trip, Jiko it is!

2 Likes

Still no more Adjustments made — until the opening details of Toy Story Land, and the opening of my FPP window, there’s really nothing to do — so I continue to be in Waiting mode.

But I’ve remembered a new phase . . .

Shopping

Last year I spent a lot of money buying things in preparation for the trip — an entire new wardrobe of clothes (suitable for Florida weather), new shoes (ditto, but more on this subject later), a big hat (which I’m convinced was a life-saver), a new suitcase (my plan was to take carry-on only — which worked extremely well and I’m doing that again this year), a battery pack for my phone (which I never needed or used), a backpack to carry stuff with me to the parks (which I also never used — I bought a bag in MK which suited me better), a waterproof jacket (which, again, I never used — too warm for the weather: ponchos really are best), a cooling towel (tried it once, didn’t really like it or felt like I needed it), a Mickey Mouse magic band (loved it!), …

So mercifully not much to buy this year. I have just ordered a Kindle Fire 7 tablet — Amazon have them on special offer for £34.99. My idea is to take this with me to the parks for moments when I’m bored or having a sit down: e.g. during meals (as I’m dining alone), storms, long lines, etc. It’s so cheap that I don’t care that it might get damaged when I’m on a ride. I’m taking my vastly more expensive iPad on holiday, too, but that will be for use on the plane and in the house I’m staying in: I certainly won’t be taking that to the parks.

The only other item I currently have in mind to buy are shoes.

I worried about shoes a lot last year. In the end I bought a pair of Adidas Ultra Boost, which were insanely comfortable, but entirely unsuitable for wet weather. So, after trying all kinds of options, I also bought a pair of Crocs that I carried around with me and switched into when it rained.

This worked OK, but I want to carry just a small bag with me this time, so I want a single pair of shoes to wear all the time.

I already have a suitable bag (maybe 10in by 8in by 2in, with a shoulder strap) and plan on just carrying my Kindle Fire, my iPhone, medical supplies, a poncho, regular glasses (for indoors, sun glasses for outdoors) and (for days when I have fine dining) a spare shirt.

2 Likes

I remember your shoes and bag trauma!

1 Like

Haha. I’m quite a worrier. Well, I was last year because I just didn’t know what to expect. I ended buying (and returning) about five different pairs of shoes and three bags. Then the bag I ended up with (a kind of over-the-shoulder backpack) I didn’t even use. I bought a Minnie Mouse handbag/tote and that worked fine. But I want to travel even lighter this year and I have an ideal bag for that already.

I don’t know why it’s so hard to find waterproof shoes that are ultra-comfortable and slightly stylish.

3 Likes

I just wear flip flops. I have 3 pairs exactly the same because I know they are comfortable.

I am going crazy trying to find a back pack to put on the back of a ECV. For shoes have you tried a fishing store like Bass Pro Shop or Cabela’s they have comfortable shoes that are water proof. Sorry I’m not sure what stores are in the UK maybe LL. Bean.

Worrier here too. Packing dilemmas are fierce. Over pack/under pack. Too hot/too cold. It’s like Goldilocks and the 3 bears. If you find a pair of waterproof/comfortable shoes, please keep me in mind! I can’t wear flip flops in the parks all day.

Style opinions may vary, but my husband and I love our Keens sandals. Very comfy, they dry quickly and I love that they cover the majority of your foot.

I say get a good pair of Tevas or Keens! Both are great for walking & some styles are made to dry quickly when wet.