Trip report J18A

I LOVE reading this - it is awesome that you are returning! For me, planning (well, for most of us on this site) is half the fun!

2 Likes

Well, thank you :slight_smile:

But prepare yourself for the next phase of my planning. I didnā€™t have this phase last year.

Starting all over again

The plans on my spreadsheet became more and more complicated over the last week or so. The problem was I kept thinking of great ideas and then trying to add them in. It got to the point where I was staring at my laptop screen literally for hours trying to figure out how to make things work.

Then I realised the whole thing was broken and I had to start again.

But the time hadnā€™t been wasted because I had a much clearer sense of my priorities.

Iā€™m feeling much happier with the current iteration.

The biggest change is that the Ultimate Day of Thrills VIP tour has gone. Iā€™ve cancelled it. It was actually causing me a number of problems in my planning. The first of which was that it started so early in the day: check-in was at 8.15am, I think. Given that Iā€™m not staying on property, Iā€™d have to get up at about 6am.

Well, thatā€™s just not how I work. Last year we did lazy, late mornings, but then stayed in the parks till close. This worked really well and I want to do the same again. The house Iā€™m staying in is really lovely and want time to enjoy it.

Also ā€” I wonā€™t lie ā€” the ever-increasing cost of the trip was weighing on my mind. I think the last straw was my genius idea to stay at the Contemporary the night before the Ultimate Day so all Iā€™d have to do was walk to MK from the hotel. But a single night was about Ā£540. When you add that to the cost of the tour, I would have been paying about Ā£800 ā€” for about ten fast passes (and I wasnā€™t even interested in all of them), a quick service meal, and a night at the Contemporary.

To justify the cost of the Contemporary, I then tried to fit in hotel time, including watching HEA from my room. At this point the whole plan basically snapped in half and I realised I had to start again.

In rebuilding the plan, I revisited my restaurant choices and made some changes. I was also able to come up with a much simpler way of dealing with ā€œWill TSL be open?ā€ I have one DHS day ā€” either all day there if TSL is open (I may even rope-drop if I have to) or half a day there if not, with the other half being a bonus MK second visit with BOG lunch.

Iā€™ll say more about restaurant choice on the other thread I started about this: Dining choices - #50 by inactiveprofile

3 Likes

You made a good call here! The night at the Contemporary and the Ultimate Day are just a bit too much splurge, I think.

1 Like

Yeah ā€” the best part of a thousand pounds on a bunch of FPPs that Iā€™m not that excited about and a hotel room Iā€™d barely see was nuts.

I am keeping the (cheaper) Ultimate Nights tour. All the good stuff at AK, including both Pandora rides with minimal waiting ā€” thatā€™s worth it to me.

Iā€™m going to try to step away from my plan now. My FPP window doesnā€™t open up for just under three months and I feel like Iā€™ve got a pretty good structure at this point.

1 Like

We leave in 44 days, and I am still tweaking things. I changed all our FPP for one of our MK days today, and 2/3 of them on the other MK day. I think I finally have the right plan thoughā€¦but that might change, of course.

2 Likes

Last year I must have done hundreds of FPP changes.

This yearā€™s FPP planning is going to be more difficult because I have fewer days in the parks. Iā€™m actually going to have to do some waiting in line :scream:

I may even use a Touring Plan :hugs:

Iā€™m under a week now and still tweaking a bit.

1 Like

Itā€™s an obsessionā€¦crafting the perfect plan.

5 Likes

Iā€™m trying to find the perfect bag for the parks!
Can you share a pic or a link of the one you have?

I searched for a month finally I went to Walmart got one for $10.