Trip report D18X

2 Likes

Right, time for some restaurant reviews.

Yachtsman

Formal, but just the right side of stuffy. Best lobster bisque of the five I had. (I asked my server for a sample. He kindly obliged.)

The steak was great — I think the best I’ve had at WDW, though the one I had at LC last year might have been better, I can’t remember, but I think it was tastier — but you literally got a steak and some mashed potato. For $50. Wow.

Not somewhere I feel the need to visit again.

3 Likes

Monsieur Paul

Clearly outstanding food — especially the fish with potato scales thing. Really first class cooking.

But the service was ultra-fast. No sooner had they whisked away one course when the next was being whooshed in front of you. It didn’t help that I was already half-full from lunch. Ended up somewhat uncomfortable.

I think the restaurant would feel claustrophobic (to me) had I not been given a window seat.

I would definitely go again. And maybe not be such a greedy fat pig by having a big lunch the same day.

2 Likes

Coral Reef

They were the only restaurant that was weird about me checking in early. Apparenlty they have a “max ten minute early” rule.

The food was perfectly fine. I had the shrimp and the blackened salmon.

The gimmick of the restaurant is that you eat in front of a giant fish tank. This ended up being far less exciting than I was expecting. I was pretty close to the front, but to one side. Not a lot of action in that section of the tank.

I think you’d be better father back to get a broader view, and more central, as I think that’s where the fish seemed to be.

Not desperate to return.

3 Likes

Chefs de France

Very French, authentic in all kinds of way. The food seemed cheap, but well cooked. Like the lobster bisque had “lobster” in it, except I’m pretty sure it was actually crab sticks.

Not in a rush to go back.

4 Likes

Pop Century — was it worth it?

Totally. It’s basic but perfectly adequate. The room was new and shiny and clean and stylish and practical. My view (lucky me) was really beautiful. Good value I’d say.

Of course, when I did my tour of the deluxe resorts to see their decorations I was reminded just how sumptuous they are. None of that at Pop. But then none of the eye-watering pricing, either. Aside from its poor location, Wilderness Lodge is the stand-out for me. So homely. Definitively American. Lovely. For location, you can’t beat either YC (I like the refurbished rooms over the BC ones) or the Contemporary. But YC is expensive and the Contemporary is soulless — but has theme park views if you have infinite money.

Would I stay at Pop again? Currently I’m booked to do so. But I may try ASMo if the refurbishment is complete by July. Not because I have any problem with Pop at all, but my room was just so good, I can’t imagine being so lucky again — and I’ll be disappointed by the comparison. Plus it’s fun to try new places.

6 Likes

Let us not overlook the masterful sound design. Nothing drowned out anything else. Voices equaled instruments and instruments took their proper place when voices needed to be heard clear. And clear everything was.

3 Likes

Great summary of the highlights - thanks for sharing!

3 Likes

So glad that this trip turned out to be as magical for you as I know we all hoped it would be. :slightly_smiling_face: Merry Christmas Matthew! Safe travels home, and remember to keep smiling, it looks good on you. :wink:

2 Likes

He’s right you know. Here is a recent photo.

27 Likes

Was a real pleasure tagging along with you … I may even update my subscription so I can tag along with your summer trip … your never alone x

4 Likes

Deal with it? That’s the whole reason I still continue to read these boards!

I’m so, so glad you had such a good time. It sounds like it was a lovely trip, and it was (as always) a delight to live vicariously through you. :blush:

7 Likes

I’m glad you had such a great trip. It has been a tremendous pleasure to follow along on your journey. Merry Christmas and enjoy the rest of the holiday with Calvin! I selfishly hope that you do take your July trip because I have the most fun reading and commenting on your threads here! :santa::mrs_claus:

2 Likes

10 Likes

I’m so glad this trip has turned out to be fantastic for you. I’ve enjoyed following along and seeing your photos. Safe travels back home to Calvin!

2 Likes

I know you suffer from mental health problems, as do I. I just want to say thank you-your travels helped me zone out and calm down when anxiety threatened to take over. It’s been great to follow along! You should blog about your regular life…I’d probably follow along with that too, I like your writing style. Sometimes I actually chuckle out loud.

3 Likes

Recent??

2 Likes

Ok it was my senior picture. So it’s not that recent. I’m even older now.

4 Likes

“Ah, but I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now…”

6 Likes

:joy::joy: