Trip Report (12/7 to 12/12) and Notes for Next Time

Day 5: Animal Kingdom

Up again, early, for us to RD Animal Kingdom. I had a FOP fastpass, so I wasn’t worried about getting there TOO early. I’d pushed everyone to get out the door just before 8am, because I could see that a bus was scheduled to come about 7:55. Unfortunately, we just missed it. So, we sat in the cold for at least 25 minutes, waiting for the next bus. Again, it was forecast to be a very cold day – high in the 50s. Since my foot was so bad, I wore my sandals, but also my winter jacket, sweater, hat, and gloves.

Getting into the park was easy enough – we were late enough that the FOP crowd was in front of us. We went to Navi, which had a posted wait of 20 minutes. I was surprised by that, because it was still before 9, and a little nervous that the whole day’s plan would be thrown off. However, we waited maybe 5. It was a very relaxing ride. I could see it being a good midday break from the heat and the crowds, if the line ever gets to be more manageable.

Next, out of Pandora and over to the Kilimanjaro Safari, which was a walk-on. I guess everyone was still fighting the crowds in Pandora! CL was predicted 3 and actual 6. It was cool (cold?) so lots of the animals were moving. Nothing exciting (we’ve seen the giraffes running around before), but still enjoyable. Afterword, we did the Gorilla Falls trail, where the gorillas were very entertaining. Two of the younger ones were playing quite a lot with each other, which gathered a big crowd. Last stop for the morning was a pretzel and the Lion King show. As usual, it was very good. DS says he wishes there was more of the monkeys in the show, and I tend to agree. They’re the best part.

It was about 11:30 at that point, so we headed out of the park and over to AKL for lunch at Sanaa. I asked to be seated closer to the windows, and while we didn’t have a great view, we did get to see zebras and kudu. DH and I ordered the bread service, and I argued with DS for a while about trying things. He ended up ordering a burger (sigh) and a big bowl of pudding (double sigh). I did convince him to try the spicy red sauce on the bread service by promising him $1. He didn’t like it, of course, and wouldn’t try any of the other ones. DD got a pizza, which sucked, and a paint-your-own cookie. She tried a couple of the bread dips, but really just liked the bread on its own. Her dessert was the cutest, and the brownie it came with was really good. DH and I shared the bread service, lamb kebabs, and some caramel dessert thing. Our food was all good. I especially liked the couscous salad that came with the kebabs. However, if we went back, I might skip the bread service (it was good, but I’d want some more real food) in favor of a full meal.

I’d wanted to go over to Jambo house to see the Christmas decorations, but by the time lunch was finished and we’d gone to the bathroom, it was time for us to get back to the park for FOP. We just missed the bus. We were actually standing in front of it, but DH ran back to the restaurant because I thought I’d left my hat there. No way I would’ve managed without a hat for the rest of the day. The second bus came within 5 minutes, though, and the driver was great! Did you know they have buttons for all sorts of announcements – and a special happy birthday light display?!

Back in the park, we headed off to Pandora again. As we walked in, the drummers were playing so we stopped to watch that for a little while before heading to FOP. It was pretty pleasant standing there in the sun (with my hat and jacket on). FOP was up next, and I guess DH was extremely nervous about it. He didn’t say anything at the time, but later he mentioned that he was getting all hot and queasy, worried about all the “scared of heights” warnings. In reality, though, he (we all) LOVED the ride. Technically, it’s just so astounding. I couldn’t decide if I wanted to stay “in the moment” and really feel like flying, or if I wanted to look around and see how they were doing everything, and see all the other people flying, too. We’ll definitely want to go back to that one many, many times. Only once this trip, though. I still think I like SDD better for pure fun, but it’s close.

As we came out, the guy in the big suit was doing his thing, but we didn’t stop since DD had to use the bathroom SO BAD. After we all met up again (DS and DH lost us as we were running off to the restroom), we crossed the park to Asia. We used the discovery trails, which I’d never walked before, and ended up spending a good 20 minutes there. It was so quiet and beautiful. We all enjoyed looking at the animals on the tree and it was so relaxing! I did NOT expect that to be one of the highlights of the day, but it was.

Our next fastpass was Everest, which everyone (but me) thinks is the best ride in all of the parks. It triggers my motion sickness, just a little. DD wanted to get right back on, but it was a 45 minute wait, and I wasn’t willing to spend that long in line. I promised her we’d go again, but she was mad.

We walked the Jungle Trek and the Komodo dragons weren’t out since it was so cold. The tigers, however, were very active. They spent some time prowling and playing with each other. The lighting in the room just after the tigers was great, so I tried to snag a few kid pictures, too. I annoy them.

Once we were done there, we had about an hour before needing to get in line for RoL. The kids wanted to do Everest, but I made them go to the bird show instead. We picked up a few snacks, and we all ended up enjoying the show more than expected. After a bathroom stop, I sat for a few minutes to check in for our flight. Somehow, they’d assigned all of us middle seats randomly throughout the plane. Ugh. Not OK! I was super stressed about DD sitting on her own for the flight home but couldn’t figure out a way to change seats. Plus, it was time to get moving to RoL, so I had to leave it for the time being.

While waiting for RoL, we mobile ordered for Satu’li Canteen, which turned out to be a good plan. The show was beautiful, and relaxing, but cold sitting there in the dark. DD is learning Spanish in school, so she and DH were trying to figure out how to say River of Light in Spanish. A nice woman sitting behind us jumped in to help. After the show her companion said -something- to DD in Spanish. DH thinks it was something encouraging her to do well in school. Pretty nice of them.

We were lucky enough to be near the exit at the end of RoL, so once it was done, we got right into the standby line for Everest. It was a 10 minute wait by that time. I tried not to say “I told you so” to my family. I think I liked it better in the dark! It was so neat to look out over the park, all lit up. Also, it didn’t seem so bad for my motion sickness. Not sure why that would happen.

Finally, back across the park for a late dinner at Satu’li Canteen. The Tree of Life projections were happening as we walked through, but no one was inclined to stay and watch. Dinner was excellent. I had to “help” DS pick out something I thought he’d like (noodles and chicken, no sauce). I also had to force him to try it. Why was this a fight the whole trip? He’s usually so good about eating! DD got a quesadilla again, and again she was disappointed. She ended up eating some of my chicken and some of DH’s noodles and sauce. Next time, I think I’ll try the salad with beef – that looked really good when I saw someone walk out with it.

After exploring Pandora, just a little bit, it was time to leave the park and catch the bus back to BLT. On the way, I “bumped and dumped” our reservation for the Edison. We were just tired of so many sit-down meals, and I figured Disney Springs would have plenty of good QS for us. It ended up being a good decision.

I didn’t sleep much that night, worrying about our seating for the flight the next day. I ended up getting up in the middle of the night to download the Delta app, in hopes of adjusting seat assignments. I found a way to do it, but there wasn’t anything available. That was stressful, but it turned out OK in the end.

Notes for next time:

• Just share meals with DD. She always likes the adult meals better than what she can get as a kid’s meal.
  • Make sure we have flight seat assignments before checking in – even if it costs something to pick.
  • Need more time at AKL to look around
  • Both meals were good and worth returning to.
  • If we’re willing, get up early and RD FOP, along with a later-day FP.
9 Likes

Day 6: Disney Springs and Departure

Our last day at Disney. Sad. We slept in a little bit – maybe until 7:30 (6:30 our time), and took our time getting ready, packing, finding all our stuff. While doing that, I kept checking the Delta app to see if I could get our seats moved. Luckily, I found one aisle seat, which I quickly moved DD into. I assumed someone would switch with us to avoid having to sit by a lone 6-year-old. So, while my stress wasn’t completely gone there, it was better.

We checked out; DH and the kids took our luggage to bag-check and backpacks to bell services. Meanwhile, I went to pay for our room charges with a gift card. I’d forgotten that they charge everything the night before checkout, so we’d already had our credit card charged. Fortunately, the CM was very helpful. He scanned my gift card, left the room charging capabilities open, and said they’d give us a refund for the remaining amount, at the end of the day. Since we were going to Disney Springs, this was helpful to still have room charging capabilities.

Once that was all taken care of, we hopped on the monorail over to the Grand Floridian. I wanted to see the decorations and the gingerbread house, and just the whole place. Wow. It was fancy and overwhelming, and the gingerbread was SO COOL. I could’ve stayed longer, but I had this mental “you’re leaving soon” ticking in my head. So, I pushed everyone on to the QS for breakfast. Again, DS had a food meltdown. He wanted chocolate cupcakes for breakfast and I told him he had to pick something healthy… like bacon. So, he pouted while the rest of us ate. My croissant sandwich and tater tots were great! Finally, as we’re getting ready to pack up and leave, he asks if I can get him a sandwich like the one I just had. Sigh. Yeah, better that he eat than be crabby all day. So, we sat around while he wolfed it down. (Guess what, he loved it too. Go figure). DD had again eaten half my food, and she ended up eating half of his tater tots, too.

Finally, when all the food had been eaten, we hopped on a bus to DS and spent a very pleasant two hours there. That was definitely not enough. I could’ve spent all day! We had to convince the kids that they shouldn’t try to buy everything at World of Disney. It worked pretty well to have them take pictures of all the things they wanted. DD and I both got a couple ornaments, DS got one, and that was it. DH is not a shopper, so he just wandered around trying to put everything back that we picked up. There were so many other stores that I would’ve liked to explore. Alas, WoD was the only one we went into. The kids wanted to do the Lego store, but we have a really good one nearby, so we wouldn’t let them.

Once we were done shopping, we headed over to the Christmas Tree Trail. DD had a meltdown as we passed the face painters. She’d been asking the whole trip and it just never worked out. We should’ve just done it one of the earlier days. Once she was calmed down, though, everyone really enjoyed the trees. This was another surprising highlight. I did not expect the kids to be as interested as they were. They really liked trying to determine the theme of each tree, not that it was hard to do.

We were running low on time as we left the trail, so we just picked up hot dogs at BB Wolf on our way back to the bus. We sat in the sun and had a short but enjoyable meal. It was nice to not be quite so cold anymore. I mean, it was maybe 65, but felt SO GOOD after a couple of really cold days.

We walked up the bus right as it was pulling in, which turned out to be very lucky. After a long drive back to the Contemporary, we picked up our backpacks from bell services, snapped a few pictures, and caught the bus for the Tragic Express. Another long ride, but at least this one had a TV screen for the kids. I think we ended up stopping at 4 hotels, after ours.

Security at the airport was slow, too. I guess that’s the theme of the day. Once we’d been standing in line for a while, I think they changed some procedure, because it started moving faster. When we got up to the scanners, they didn’t even make us remove our shoes. That’s new. DD’s bag was selected for an extra scan, and to my surprise, she had a bottle of water in a side pocket. I had no idea it was there. Whoops. I just told the guy to throw it away, even though it was a nice camelbak. DD was upset about that, but there was no way I wanted to go back through that security line again.

So, at that point, she’s upset about the water bottle, and we started working our way toward our gate. She got more and more agitated as we got closer… to the point that I had to carry her while she sobbed. Poor girl. She was so stressed out about sitting by herself on the airplane. The second we got to our gate, I talked to the woman at the counter, and politely asked if she had any ability to adjust seating assignments. She took our tickets, and looked for a second, and said “wow. No way these are going to work for you! I’m just going to keep them.” She had to go deal with the folks coming off the plane, but promised us new seats. PHEW. What a relief! I was better. DD was better. Even DS was relieved that he wouldn’t have to sit alone. She got us assigned to some really good seats, actually, 2 and 2 in back-to-back rows.

While we were waiting to board, I had both kids work on homework – mostly just reading. DS needed to study for his spelling test, though. He was convinced that he couldn’t study because he didn’t know his spelling words. They’re usually given out Friday afternoon, for next Friday’s test. We were on our way to FL, though, that previous Friday, so he hadn’t gotten them. I bet him $1 that we could find them. DH did, fairly quickly, so no need to pay out for the spicy dip from the day before. HA! This isn’t something I normally do with him, but it was entertaining on the trip.

Final Thoughts

I’d told the kids about photopass photographers and they were pointing them out by the end of the trip. I hated the cold, but DH liked it. He said he’d rather have it too cold than too hot. DH says we didn’t ride as many rides this time. I think we maybe did fewer small rides, but more of the big ones. The Christmas decorations, everywhere, were lovely. However, I personally liked being there in October, better. Maybe it was just that my expectations were so high. Maybe it was the weather or the short trip. This one just didn’t feel quite as special as our previous trips. Does that happen to others, as they go more often?

Notes for Next Time:

• Still need midday breaks. Otherwise we can’t do nighttime activities
  • Would like to go when it’s warmer, for a longer trip. Spend afternoons in the pool. Shorter, but more park days. Look at May 2020. The kids might be out of school then.
  • For me, do not wear tennis shoes two days in a row.
  • No character meals (or maybe just not princesses?). No all-you-can-eat meals. Once DS gets a bigger appetite those may be more fitting.
  • DD should share adult meals with me. She’s so bored with the kids meals.
  • Get normal breakfast food delivered, instead of trying to buy QS every day. Fruit, toast, peanut butter. That way, everyone gets at least one normal meal per day.
  • Share meals more often, so we can snack. We didn’t get any cupcakes, dole whip, ice cream bars, or really any snacks. (Pretzels one day, that was it)
  • Wish list hotels: Beach Club and Wilderness Lodge
  • Spend a full day at Disney Springs
  • Make sure there are backup plan options for times when we might make changes. We had at least two times where I didn’t have a specific plan and we stood around asking “what should we do”. That sucked.
  • Double check that we have seat assignments when buying the plane tickets or fly Southwest. Don’t assume things will turn out OK. That’s too much stress.
  • Settle up room charges the night before checkout
  • Do face painting early (and often?)
  • Favorite TS Restaurant: Whispering Canyon Café
  • Favorite QS Restaurant: Satu’li Canteen
11 Likes

This happened to me in Manchester (UK) this morning. Normally I’m asked to remove my shoes and my hoodie. But today — neither. Just through a metal detector and a quick pat-down of my hoodie’s pockets.

Loved reading your reports and notes to go along with them! I have some of the same take-aways, too. I was even thinking of returning in May 2020! (Picked that originally because I wanted to go before DS turns 3, and it’ll be around DD’s 7th birthday. But now I want to wait until we could make it through without a stroller.) Sounds like a wonderful trip, even if it wasn’t as special as the previous ones :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s weird, right? After years and years of being trained by TSA, it felt like suddenly the didn’t care about security anymore.

Have a great trip! Been following along on your posts…

1 Like

I am always surprised by the amount of variation when going through TSA. Leaving from ORH, they make us take all electronics and food from the bags (but let us leave shoes on because we’re TSA Precheck). MCO, sometimes food needs to come out, sometimes it doesn’t. Sometimes I have to get my braces swiped for additional testing, sometimes it’s not a problem. Strange.

We were at MK that day as well and we were soaked, even with ponchos. But the lack of crowds was amazing!

1 Like

Interesting. We have often skipped a full meal in favor of the bread service :joy::joy:

2 Likes

That’s probably why we did it! It was good, but by the end of our trip, I was craving some “healthy” food - some vegetables in particular. I think Sanaa would’ve been a good place for me to get some of that.
I know, I know. Who craves veggies?

2 Likes

I’ll chime in-ME! Kale salad at Sunshine seasons was yummy and made me feel a little more “normal”.

1 Like

Same here - after 2-3 days in the World I really, really need a nice salad!
:grin:

2 Likes

The salad at Satu’li looked excellent. I should’ve gotten that instead of the potato base. (although the potatoes were very yummy, as were DH’s noodles)

1 Like

I still remember on our 10 day trip, we ate at BOG on one of the last nights and my meal came with cauliflower. I have never enjoyed a vegetable so much!! My body was craving veggies at that point.

We often find ourselves craving vegetables, especially raw, at the end of vacation. We often go out of our way to find a good fast food stop like Panera or Moes on the way home.

My daughter, age 4 at the time, refused to eat any more chicken while at Jiko unless they brought her more broccoli. So, yeah, my family craves veggies by the end of the trip too.

Even though he’s an “adult” he can still order off the kids menu. Our kids did that for a few years. It sucks to be paying more, but at least he’ll eat

Exception being buffets where he will be charged as an adult regardless.

That said, probably because a) it’s easier to keep the same designation as for tickets and b) because there are children of 10 (and even younger) who have been taught to eat different things and are adventurous and want options beyond chicken fingers and burgers.

Yep - ran into this with DD many times. she had zero interest in the kids meals, but happily ate mine. She’s 6. I think he was just flexing his pre-teen independencey muscle. At home, we have no problems with him eating interesting food.
I hadn’t realized it when making plans, but we ended up a 3 (of 4) fixed-price meals. whoops.

1 Like

I’m really curious about what happened with Delta splitting you up.

If you had assigned seating, it should never have happened. Did you try to call them the night before? I would have been all over them like white on rice! They did that to us once when the kids were little, but we only found out at the gate. They did fix it, luckily for them :rofl:

On the other hand, if you had basic economy they can put you where they want to. That’s one reason why it’s less expensive. It’s still dumb of them, though because they would charge extra for unaccompanied minors- and yet they’re basically creating one.

But that’s a relatively new ticket type, and if people are getting their tickets through a third party it might not be apparent what they’re actually getting. It also irks me that that is the price that’s the default for some search engines, because (unless you’re traveling alone) it’s the one option you DON’T want!

Also, I’d cry too if I had to throw away a Camelbak. :disappointed_relieved: But my kids still do things like that and they are “technically” adults.

Sorry I’m so slow to respond! Got the flu and pneumonia over Christmas break. Uck. I wonder if I got exposed to the flu while at Disney.

Anyway, we must have had that basic economy ticket. I had no idea that was even a thing. I begged, at the gate, to get seats together, at least for DD6, and the woman there was very accommodating.

1 Like