Treating the monorail as a ride?

How long is a monorail loop? How long from MK to Epcot?

There are a total of three monorail loops. To get from MK to Epcot, you take MK to TTC, change monorails, then TTC to EP. I’d allow a half hour for a one way trip.

1. Express one from MK to TTC to MK. About 27-30 minutes for a whole lap.
  2. MK Resort loop goes MK to CR to TTC to Poly to GF to MK. Takes longer due to more stops, but is same route as #1, just opposite direction.
  3. TTC to EP to TTC. About 17 minutes each leg, 34 (plus loading time) for a whole lap.
1 Like

If we wanted to do this on our first day but aren’t staying on property where would be the best place to park so as not to pay $22 in parking just to ride the monorail around? We’re planning a first-day (we’ll arrive late on one day, so this would be the next day) breakfast at Trattoria al Forno on the Boardwalk. Would this be something we could do afterwards since we get 3 hours for parking? Thanks! Total newbie here!

I would take the bus to MK and walk to contemporary to get on monorail there.

Agree with the bus to MK, but then you can simply get on the monorail there. You go through bag check, but not tapstile.

I was trying to avoid the Security check but I guess it would take probably less time to go through security then to walk to contemporary. But then you wouldn’t get to have that great walk!

Security Check at the monorail entrance inside the contemporary anyway. It’s not a question if if but where.

2 Likes

If part of the goal of riding the monorail is to pass through the Contemporary, then starting at the MK you need to take the Resort monorail for a half lap to the TTC, or take the Express one for a lap and a half to the TTC, where you can switch to the Epcot monorail.

I have two journeys in mind. MK to GF, where I’m having dinner. If I’ve understood the map, that goes through the Contemporary. And TTC to Epcot, which includes the FW loop in that direction.

Your understanding of the map is correct. MK to GF on the resort loop will be MK-CR-TTC-POLY-GF(then back to MK). TTC to EPCOT does indeed loop around future world enroute to the EPCOT monorail station.

1 Like

You’re right. But just wanted to correct one thing in your original post.

MK to GF will not be a complete loop. But you can do a complete loop and 3/4 to GF if you want to!

The loop I mentioned was the Epcot one.

In both cases these journeys are necessary in the sense that I want to get to the places I’m going. It’s just that there are other options to get to those places, but I thought the monorail might be a fun way of doing it.

Having said that, last year I’m fairly sure we took the monorail from the TTC to MK, which must have passed through the Contemporary, yet I have zero memory of this. You’d think I would have noticed the fact we were passing through a building! But I think it was a dark, grey, drizzly day and the monorail was busy and perhaps I genuinely just didn’t realise. I don’t think I was looking out of the window.

Duh. :woman_facepalming:t2: Of course it is. It was the end of my day when I posted such foolishness. Yes, go through security at MK.

Thanks for having my sleepy back!

1 Like

Thank you!

Well you mentioned circling right the way round the lagoon …

Depending which monorail you got from TTC to MK, you may have gone via Poly and GF if you got the resort monorail.

On our first day we have a 6:50 ADR at the Grand Floridian. We want to do a monorail ride before hand, how much time should be allowed?

If you’re arriving at the GF, you’ll then go through security as you head to the platform.

I’d allow 30 minutes to go round. Remember they like you to check-in 10-15 minutes early, so 45 mins in total.

This is what I can’t figure out about the gondolas. I picture myself stranded in the air in a tiny greenhouse, roasting on the line while they work out a loading issue in the station. Hopefully they will be able to easily pull individual cars in and out of service.

2 Likes

I think I recall reading that the Gondolas are air-conditioned. (I honestly don’t know how they are pulling that off, from a technology standpoint.) However, I’ve seen mixed reports on that. If they aren’t, all the more reason I’ll be avoiding them. (Not that it matters at this point…I would have no reason to use them…but, for example, if Disney had planned to replace the monorail system in the future with this system, I’ll start taking the ferry exclusively from the TTC!

Personally I can’t wait for the gondalas. They’ll be one of my favourite rides! Where do they go?