Transportation ideas MCO/WDW resorts

My wife and I are traveling to WDW in June for our anniversary and looking for options besides Mears/Sunshine. On our flight home, we’d prefer not to be at the airport 3hrs before our flight. Wondering if Lyft is a better option or any other options that’s not too expensive.

1 Like

I normally Uber/lyft to and from the airport, and it’s usually $32-38 (before tip) each way. The small extra cost is worth it to me because it’s more tailored to my own time frame.

2 Likes

Since the bus service is now decoupled from your resort stay, you can choose a bus that picks you up later than 3-4 hours before your flight.

2 Likes

Depending on when you’re flying out and if you have PreCheck/Clear…and/or need to check a bag you may need every minute of that 3 hours…MCO has been rough lately. (but I understand not wanting to take Mears)

@Jeff_AZ has recently created this thread as well, which has some great info in it! Car Service Reviews 2023

2 Likes

Ride share is a good option.

1 Like

Uber/Lyft tends to be both faster and cheaper than a pre-booked bus. And usually cheaper than a car service as well.

2 Likes

My wife and I were hesitant taking a Lyft for the first time. Not any more. It is the only way to go. We have now used it between WDW and Universal, and From MCO to Universal and then WDW to MCO. We use Lyft XL because of the amount of luggage we have. Cost varies with distance and averages around 37 to 47 depending on a regular size Lyft or and XL. The app is easy to get and easy to set up a account. You call for a Lyft ride via the app and are charged via the Lyft account. You are given the info on the driver as well as the vehicle that will pick you up. You are given the time to pick-up and the vehicle position at the time of reservation. Have never waited more than 10 minutes. You can track it’s whereabouts coming to you and while riding to your destination. We use Lyft, but Uber appears to be mostly the same and works the same. Many of the Lyft vehicles show both Lyft and Uber in there front window. Driver appear to be working both. Since using them it is the only way to go for us. We have way more control of our time and for the little extra money it is point A to point B no stops. Vehicles are usually next to new and very clean. Driver is usually foreign and just trying to make a living in there new country. Very courteous. If interested go on your smart phone and download the App. Must then start an account which is safe and easy. Only way to go now that we have discovered them.

2 Likes

I am trying to arrange for last minute car service for the upcoming July 4 holiday weekend. Most car services I’ve looked at run around $120 one way. We have 4 adults but travel with quite a bit of luggage (4 checked bags in total and 2 small carry-ons each).

The ride service we have been using for the past few trips got frustrated with me last time when he saw our luggage and made us upgrade to a larger vehicle, making it less economical.

Our flight plans may change. My adult children who travel for their jobs tell me I am crazy for pre-arranging car service, and we should just get an Uber or Lyft XL when we arrive. We did a quick check on pricing for an XL, and it seems like it is going to be about half of the cost of a pre-arranged ride service. Do you foresee a problem with availability on a Saturday (7/1) afternoon? Do you think an Uber or Lyft XL will be able to accommodate all of our luggage?

Nervous about availability…

It has not worked for my family of four and our luggage and is why I went to using a car service. If an adult is willing to sit up front with the driver, possibly.

If you have a lot of luggage, I might opt for two regular Ubers.

1 Like

We use Lyft.XL Their is only two of us but we carry 2 full size suit cases, two medium suit cases, and one to three back packs. LX is generally a van so it holds ours but it fills the back. I suggest calling Lyft for recommendations See no problem with time as we have always gotten a Lyft in 10 to 15 minute after booking. Sat. should be even better as it is not a business day with traffic is bad at rush hours. .

1 Like

We fit 2 kids and 2 adults with 4 bags and 3 carry-on no problem. It was a mini van.

1 Like

Just returning here to post our experience with Lyft this past week. We traveled with 4 adults, six suitcases, 3 backpacks, 2 purses.
Our overall experience was great!
We arrived on Saturday 7/1 around 5PM and traffic surrounding the airport was a complete zoo because of the holiday. Called for a Lyft XL after retrieving our bags. Driver responded immediately but was stuck in the standstill traffic. No one was moving. It took about 30 mins for him to reach us at the designated pickup point, but that wasn’t his fault. Driver arrived in a very new and clean Toyota Highlander and easily fit all of our luggage in the back. Although traffic was bad, our transport to BLT went smoothly. Driver was very polite.

Return trip was smooth sailing! Called for a Lyft XL from BLT @ 2PM on Wednesday 7/5 and driver arrived within 5 mins. Again, the vehicle was a new and clean Toyota Highlander with a 3rd row of seating. All bags fit fine. Driver was polite, trio to MCO was quick and easy.

Total cost for the round trip (including generous tips) was around $100. I know this option probably won’t work for larger families with young children and strollers and lots of luggage, but for us, it was perfect and economical. This will be our go-to transportation in the future!

3 Likes