Tiers

I don’t technically disagree with you, though you seem to think I do.

If not having FPP reduces the lines, which it does, then logically Disney should not ever have FPP. But you say they are. I think this is where my thoughts and yours diverge, because I’m not convinced of that they will. Or at least, that those FP will be tiered, or offered to people in the way they have been in the past.

That’s harsh. And ultimately an unnecessary (if not incorrect) assertion because as you point out yourself, upsells are how Disney makes its money. What I said was this:

MONEY is Disney’s real goal. Not short lines.

Short lines are just one means to that end, and an indirect one at that, because it matters very much WHO is in that line. That’s the whole purpose behind 60 day and 90 day FP- get higher-paying guests into the resorts and furthermore, not have them wait in line. So they can spend money.

My point is that there’s a known unknown in this whole equation, and that’s the Galactic Starcruiser. Those are some very attractive guests (to Disney, anyway :smile:) and they going to have a big impact on how SWGE is run, and we have no idea how.

Bingo.

I dunno. My threshold for “lines aren’t actually that long” is pretty low.

I just can’t see us ever going to SWGE without a way to bypass the line, and I can’t see use going to WDW without going to SW:GE.

So, using the transitive principle, we’re not going to WDW until they figure this out.

The problem is, the more people who use FPs, the longer the SB lines become. So if they offer paid FPs, the SB lines become even longer.

I get why Disney and other parks tend to keep brand new rides off FPP and similar experienced. If demand is too high, all those paid (or unpaid) FPs end up with folks standing in longer FP lines as well. Instead, it becomes more fair for those who are MOST DETERMINED to ride, who are willing to wait for really long lines, to just decide to do so while everyone else looks on longingly for the sidelines going, “I’m not willing to wait 3 hours!”

As the longer initial crowds of “crazies” willing to put in the long lines dies down, they can then migrate the ride into a FPP system, etc.

Of course, it if were all up to me, I’d eliminate the FPP system entirely. But it isn’t. So no one start panicking.

3 Likes

Yes, it may be that irresistible force (the logic behind no lines) meets immovable object (me). Then our time at WDW will be done.

I love WDW, it’s a great escapist vacation but I’m not flying all of us in and spending a fortune to stand in line.

Hmm. I think that’s EXACTLY what you’re doing! :wink:

Please accept my apologies if I have offended or upset you in any way. We are all untied in our love of Disney parks and I don’t want you or anyone to think I’m being harsh / rude / negative. We are Liners together. :smile:

Completely agree. However, the average guests don’t understand this. They just see, “I get to “skip” three queues! Yea!!!” - even though it makes all the other lines 30% - 50% longer according to the data.

I’m not the person saying it. WDW and multiple Imagineers have stated FPP will open in the near future at SWGE. They just haven’t said when or how it will affect Tiers.

I’m just passing along the info. Again… not trying to sound defensive or aggressive :smiley:

Yeah… The talk of implementing paid MaxPass, like at DLR, have slowed down. However, I doubt they’re gone. There was too much backlash over the ticket / AP price increases this year to announce paid FPP / MaxPass. I’d wager you’ll hear more about it after the 50th / 2022 - 2023

1 Like

No, my friend. You underestimate my impatience. I’m the kind of person who stands in front of the microwave and yells “Hurry!”.

1 Like

I might be impressed…if it actually worked! :joy:

1 Like

Neither does jamming the elevator button, but I’ve been known to do that, too. :wink:

I don’t honk the horn in traffic jams, though. That would be impolite.

Heh. Well I guess I’m just more of a wait-and-see kind of gal. :wink: I don’t trust 'em.

I didn’t say it’d be unlimited access. What I think they’ll do is set aside some time when GS guests are there, i.e. a pretend “landing”, transfer via the Chandrila Star Line, then see the place, ride the rides, and leave. However, this will take time, possibly a few hours. If GS is a two-day experience, they might set aside one half-day every other day. I don’t really see it being outside of the normal park hours, either.

That means there will be less time for others to ride the rides. That’s got to have some impact on how this land is run.

I can see them doing an EMM or DAH just for Galactic Starcrusier guests.

2 Likes

Yes. Actually I think night time would even be more in keeping with the whole idea. I don’t know, something about night time always seems more otherworldly to me. Space is dark. Although, then there’s the issue of fireworks, etc. I don’t know how far into this immersive idea they’re going to go, but I bet they’re going to pull out all the stops. It’s the Disney way.

1 Like

Do you have any link?

As far as I’m aware they have said “Fastpass will not be offered initially”.

Whilst implying that it could be offered in future, it doesn’t say it will be offered.

It may be that it has been specifically mentioned in a speech. But anything I have seen suggests they are holding fire on any decisions about FP for the time being, at both DL and DHS.

I guess I should clarify… there has been no formal “Announcement” about SWGE FPP.

However…

This…

I listen to soooo many Disney podcasts and read so many articles with Imagineers / Disney Reps as guests and sources that have stated FPP is comin to SWGE. If you really need me to go track it down I guess I can. I can say confidently that Jim & Len (of Disney Dish Podcast / Touring Plans) have said it many times on multiple shows that their inside sources confirmed SWGE FPP.

I only hope they don’t introduce them before our May 2020 trip! The current tiering is beneficial for us, for sure.

1 Like

The shops aren’t open during EMM and DAH, though, are they?

From a guest perspective- how are interstellar tourists going to snap up souvenirs? Dine on local delicacies? For some travelers, that’s a critical part of tourism. Especially if you’re going to another planet, I would imagine. It’s certainly critical to Disney’s bottom line, and would maintain the illusion of real travel to a real city. So I kind of think SWGE will be open for all those things. Can Disney staff up for that with a fairly limited number of customers, even if they are the spendy type?

I also don’t think GS guests will want to get up super early or stay up super late. That’d be the first thing I’d whine about, for sure. :laughing:

So maybe their time at SWGE will cut into regular park hours. Well, it’ll be interesting to see how it all works out. It’s fun to speculate, but I wish we had more info.

I expect the opening date to still be quite a ways off. It is going to be technologically challenging, for sure, in addition to the normal construction time. So, I think how they handle things like space-faring guests landing at SWGE is still TBD for even Disney!

2 Likes

Rumor has it they’re supposed to have a Chandrila Star Line shuttle pick people up from DHS and take them to the hotel, er, Starcruiser, and it’s supposed to be open in early 2021. I agree the technology will be amazing and I expect great attention to detail, which of course is what Disney does best. If it’s going to be immersive, and cost as much as it apparently will, it will be very analogous to a Disney cruise . And just like Disney has Castaway Cay for cruise guests only, SW:GE seems likely to fill the same role for the Starcruiser.

There’s never been anything like it before, so I don’t even know if we can predict the impact for everyone else who would like to visit SW:GE. I don’t think we can discount it, though. As you say, there is much TBD, even for Disney.

But 2021 is not that far away, especially for uber-planners like us. :wink:

Good point.

After all, I had a conversation with my son just yesterday that brought up a potential 2024 Disney trip!

1 Like

No need. All I was trying to say was that there has never been an official announcement that FP would be introduced.

Clearly it is intended, but there is no doubt that opening without FP has made for a much better experience all round. And they are definitely happy with it. So much so that it could at least set a precedent for the opening of forthcoming rides.

1 Like

Here’s a link to the concept art for the shuttle to the hotel.

I hope the hotel is everything you want. I’m not a “Star Wars person”, so it’s not something I’m interesting in - especially at the predicted pricing.

2 Likes