Thread O18

Another vote for the direct premium class flights. You might even be able to upgrade to upper class eventually, if it’s in your budget. But at least you’ll have the direct flights booked and can start working from there.

Just a note about the hotel. There’s nothing stopping you from doing one or two nights at BW, if you want.

As for Calvin, I know that’s a hard one. I would agree that you need to find someone else to look after him, but I suppose you could keep the current sitters as a back up. But wait, what do you mean they didn’t feed him very good food? Were they not giving him the stuff you left for him and on a regular schedule? And while I could understand an accidental hit with a ball if he didn’t catch something thrown to him, but otherwise, that’s rather suspicious. How do you accidentally hit a dog in the head with a ball? Or anything?

As for costs, as dogs age, there are more health complications (just like humans). Do you have pet insurance? In two years, are you going to need those funds to give Calvin an operation or some medication for his quality of life? I don’t have a dog, so I don’t know, but it’s something to factor in to your decision. Calvin may last 4 year or 3 or 6 years. But his health likely won’t be the same as it is today.

What is the point of being alive? That’s such a loaded question. It’s different for everyone, but ultimately, I would say the point of life is to love. Right now, Calvin’s point is to be your best friend and yours is to be his. I would also say that the point of the cottages isn’t about some ride or scenery, but that you’re sharing it with your best friend and even that you are doing it FOR your best friend.

But life is not about just one person or one thing. When you look back on your life at the end, will you have regrets? Yes, you should enjoy your life. Do what makes you happy and what makes you happy about yourself and your life. A vacation is a great way to recharge, to feel a part of something different for just a little while and to experience new (or old) wonderful things. It’s about recognizing that you’re not just a drone stuck in your job and appreciating what the world has to offer. It makes you an interesting person to others.

7 Likes

Um, what happens at Doggy Daycare stays at doggy daycare? :laughing: All the dogs are fixed, they have to be to go there is that what you meant?

3 Likes

Yes. :dizzy_face:

LOL!

1 Like

Right. I don’t think I need to be booking today. I’m sure there’s plenty of availability.

But I do feel like I need to talk myself into booking at all. It’s not feeling 100% right.

I need to think what I would want to achieve on this trip — what’s going to be the same? What’s going to be new?

Meanwhile . . . do I want to stay at UOR? Hmm.

Edit: No. I don’t. Too expensive.

2 Likes

I agree with that statement. If you do go to UOR, then you can have more signature dining while you are at Disney if you do the Deluxe Dining plan. Just saying.

2 Likes

Just a thought…no pennies required, for most people on this forum, planning the visit to WDW is, maybe 25%, of the fun of the trip. For you, I sense (I can’t imagine why​:wink:) it is significantly more. So why not maximise your enjoyment by planning a trip for June 2020, rather than 2019? More time to squirrel those pennies away too.:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, I can’t imagine a trip without spending part of it at UOR.

I’m certainly going to UOR — no way I’d miss that — but I’m not going to stay at one of their hotels. Too expensive.

And I’m not waiting till 2020. In 2019 I’ll be 50, so this will be my birthday present to myself. And thus is entirely justified.

Been playing around with dates. For reasons that are not interesting, I’m now looking at mid-July. Marginally more expensive, but works better with work.

Looking at £3,500 for nine nights at Pop, deluxe DDP, Premium Economy direct flights to and from.

Universal and the hotel at Manchester Airport will be push me over £4,000.

3 Likes

It is done.

10 Likes

I was going to provide some (nice!) thoughts here. But never mind.

2 Likes

Acta non verba! :slight_smile:

So how many days until you fly and how many pennies do you have to put in your piggy bank every day?

Won’t you also be 50 in 2020?

Not in the summer.

1 Like

Setting aside the emotional call, I think it is unwise to not already have the trip financed before you go. I know it is unAmerican to suggest otherwise, but there is an incredible sense of freedom of NOT being in debt. Particularly for something like a vacation.

Let’s say you go. You end with debt and need to pay it off again. In the meantime, there is a strong likelihood the Disney bug will hit you again. Vicious cycle.

But if you pay off the current debt then save for your next vacation, you can the plan a trip and budget it accordingly.

It is emotion that causes us to forgo logic and end up in debt. But I know first hand how much more enjoyable a vacation is when you already have it completely paid for!

It is annoying. It is why our next Disney trip isn’t until December 2020. But when we go, there will be no guilt nor stress from debt!

3 Likes

I agree. I wouldn’t be going to WDW this Christmas if it wasn’t going to be all paid for by November. :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s not so much that I don’t have the money. It’s that I’d have to reallocate funds from one pot to another.

But I’m signing up to the “life’s too short”, “seize the day”, “you could be dead tomorrow” philosophy.

Besides, I think it’s good for me to have something to look forward to. And to make me think “no, I won’t buy this thing — I need the money for my WDW trip”.

13 Likes

I’m not familiar with the timing of your previous trips, but have you visited Orlando in the middle of the summer before? Have British friends and I know it would be extremely uncomfortable for them as they are not accustomed to the extreme heat.

1 Like

Last year I went at the end of August. This year the end of June. Next year mid-July. I actually enjoy the crazy weather. Well, except the rain. It reminds me I’m in another country.

1 Like