Thread O18

It is finding balance. If you are mostly decided to go, then try hard to not let a little splurge turn into a lot of splurge. Set a budget and stick to it. To to save as much ahead if time so that you can go in good conscience. Seriously, spending $500 that you already have is so much nicer than spending $1000 on nicer things that you don’t yet have.

I suppose one way I look at is if I am spending more for a stay than I can afford because I somehow feel it is below me (can’t figure out how to word that better…but I truly don’t mean it to sound judgmental…I am just super tired right now) then I need to accept the fact that I am trying to live above my personal reality. I either need to save more, or lower my standards! Either path leads to greater happiness.

But I totally understand the draw to go regardless. I don’t want to come across in any holier than thou way. It is just sometimes hearing a “voice of reason” is helpful to hear when trying to make a balanced decision. It probably isn’t so necessary, though. You seem to me to be a relatively pragmatic person when push comes to shove. So tell me to hush up and all if you want! I am dileriously tired.

5 Likes

I feel like I’ve been a reasonably good boy. I’m staying at a value resort, which wasn’t my first choice. I declined the amazing flight upgrade deal and am flying Premium Economy (which, thanks to my endless searching, wasn’t much more than regular — and I do so hate flying). I’m going in July rather than June, so that I don’t lose days when I could be earning money. I picked the shortest, reasonable stay that I could. Thanks to the DDP I have a clear budget for food. And I’m serious that I’m not buying any add-ons.

4 Likes

Agreed on ATL–we almost missed our connection even with a two and a half hour layover!we said never again to that airport.

1 Like

Also I am of the mind that a trip is not worth taking if you are not excited about it…what about cancelling one of your other ones to go towards the disney budget?

2 Likes

Now this makes sense. I’m all for seize the day and life is too short which is why I do seriously think if being in Orlando truly makes you feel whole then find a way to be there. Maybe long term.
But in the meantime don’t go on a trip you aren’t excited about. Give Calvin some Trazadone (ask your vet) 2 hours before the fireworks go off. Save the money for a trip you want to go on. Disneyworld!

2 Likes

I’ve heard great things about Pop! It sounds like you have another great trip in the works.

We have a cat that we tried boarding once, and it did not go well. Now we have a cat sitter from our neighborhood that comes over periodically to check on her when we’re on vacation. I don’t know if that would work with a dog - I know that dogs need more attention than cats.

When it comes to the point of being alive, I think it helps to find rewarding things - things that make one feel satisfied, like you’re doing some good, or both. Those will be different for different people. I think we can agree that fun trips are definitely rewarding. I like to snuggle up with my cat and a good book, I enjoy going on walks with a local walking group, and I find it rewarding to finish a project whether it’s personal or work related. I also find volunteer work very rewarding. I think that it’s good to have more than one thing. And I never got past intro philosophy, so that’s all I can really contribute there :slight_smile:

I’m looking forward to hearing more about your planning! It’s always fun to follow along.

2 Likes

Most of us Brits go mid summer since we tend to go for 2 weeks and go in school summer holidays to fit it in. It’s actually more comfortable than being here in hot weather because of the air con!

3 Likes

Cancelling my other trips is definitely part of the plan.

In a couple of cases I’ll lose my deposit, but won’t have to pay the rest of the holiday, which I’ve already budgeted for. This will save around £650. And my birthday extravaganza is fully refundable, which will save around £1,250.

So a total saving of £1,900 — pretty much half the cost of the WDW holiday.

5 Likes

Okay. I’m awake, and fresh this morning, with the ability to read through the entire thread! :slight_smile:

Is there a specific reason you’re getting the Dining Plan at all? If you want to save money, you can probably each just as well for cheaper if you don’t get the dining plan. (Or perhaps it is included in your package?)

Well, then. There it is! But still, if you leave OFF the DDP and pay out of pocket…I’d do the calculations to see if it saves you more money.

Possibly. June might be pushing it. I suspect they plan to have it running well before Start Wars Galaxy Edge opens…but not sure how “well before” that will be. Certainly would be a nice addition!

If you’re lucky, the Forbidden Forest ride will be open by then…but seeing where the construction stands today, it is iffy.

So, it sounds like that was already planned/budgeted anyhow. So, wise move.

In some ways, I think your revised plan (Pop Century, etc), could be MORE fun because it will no longer be about packing it all in, but just enjoying what you want without any pressure. You’ve done everything. Now just relax and do what you want, when you want, how you want!

The only downside to that is it involves a whole lot less obsession on your part for all of us to participate in and enjoy watching. But maybe you could obsess about it anyhow. Just for our benefit.

1 Like

The DDP is offered at a discount as part of the booking. The Deluxe DDP is £639 for my nine night stay. The first iteration of my schedule has me dining at:

CRT, Crystal Palace, Artist Point, Ohana, Le Cellier, Boma, Tusker House, Jiko, California Grill (Brunch), H&V, Sci-Fi, somewhere in Disney Springs, Satu’li, GG, HBD, 1900PF, BOG (dinner), and Tiffins.

That’s an average of £36 per meal for three courses and a drink. That seems like good value — and I like the fact that I’ll basically be spending nothing once I get to Orlando. (Yeah, yeah. Tips. Whatever.)

Probably July, too. Which is when I’m now going: 10-19th.

Ooh! That would be nice. There may be new stuff at WDW, too. The M&M Runaway Railway might be open.

I hope so!

3 Likes

I am swooning.

1 Like

Okay. Well. Shows what I know! :wink: It sounds like the kinds of deals they give to those from the UK are different from what we see here.

And my tip about tips? Just pretend it is all part of the Disney magic. :wink:

ETA: It seems 36 pounds is roughly $46. That seems a lot, on average, to me still. I know SOME of your meals will be expensive, but it seems you wouldn’t spend even close to that at Breakfast times, for example. Personally, I’d still do the math. I understand the appeal of having it paid for…but you can still do that, but pay with your card or cash instead! (That’s what we do.)

I dug through the history on Screamscape, and found this:

“Universal also confirmed that the new attraction will be ready by 2019.”

Now, does “by 2019” mean, “by sometime IN 2019” or do they really mean it will be available to ride in January, 2019? Not sure…but it does provide some hope that they will have it running by the time you go!

We love POP. Discovered it when I had a business seminar off property but close to POP. You can even walk between Art of Animation buses and POP which allows possibly using their buses to get back to your room. It really does save money and how much are you in your room anyway

2 Likes

We’re at POP right now and really like it. We don’t feel like we need bells and whistles though and are not here much. I also don’t have anything to compare it to, so that helps.

Let me know if you need any info and I can probably check.

3 Likes

The east-bound return trip is much better to be in UC due to the red-eye nature of the flight so you may actually get a little sleep after a long trip! That’s my two cents. The west-bound/outbound trip isn’t as crucial to score UC as you won’t likely be sleeping much anyway.

The thread title of this got me going down the rabbit hole of reading old “Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy” memes.

Thanks. Thanks a lot. Now my coworkers know with certainty that I’m not actually working!

5 Likes

Well, I feel sure I’ve made the right decision. I’m feeling much more motivated today. And I have something new — and positive — to obsess about. The last few weeks I’ve been obsessing about, er, something else and that was probably, on balance, not wholly productive.

7 Likes

Shhhhhh!:mask::speak_no_evil:

1 Like

I had the exact same thought! And yes @profmatt, you’re good enough, you’re smart enough, and gosh darn -it people like you!

6 Likes