Thoughts on having 2 diferent UY?

And when you book you get a drop down. So you can only book on one membership at a time but if you transfer then they would all be in one.

3 Likes

I was told that I would have the same member id with the same use year as long as it was titled the same way in both contracts. Was this bad information?

When you transfer points from one contract to another, do the points still retain their restrictions (not only home booking but also if you can book new resorts) regardless of what account they are in?

This is what I thought too, but I am not an expert.

My understanding is yes - those points keep the exact restrictions they had before the transfer, they are just in a new account. The one thing I am not 100% sure on is the restriction on using grandfathered resale points to book a new resort. I am sure the points would never gain this ability (because, Disney), but donā€™t know for sure if they might lose that ability - they shouldnā€™t.

I canā€™t imagine Iā€™d ever risk my grandfathered benefits by transferring them into a lessor contract but I was curious if going the other way would make the lessor points more valuable if transferred. I doubt it as well which is fine. I knew what I was buying when I bought it, restrictions and all! The ability to use the less valuable points at 7 months if I am able to move things around and saving the more flexible points still helps me out.

1 Like

Iā€™m definitely not trying to make claims on this. I do not know. I have two separate resorts with separate use-years and my only point is that it doesnā€™t seem to make a difference to me having the separate membership IDs.

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure that transferred points retain all of their own properties.

2 Likes

Thank you. I understand. For some reason, anytime I get too deep into DVC nuances, my head gets all turned around! Iā€™ll just see what happens when (:crossed_fingers:) we pass RoFR. My main goal is more points!!

2 Likes

Itā€™s ridiculous! I am grandfathered in to some things but I am not even sure I could tell you!

This is the most important goal!

2 Likes

I have two resorts, the same UY. For me this works, especially when I want to change at 7 months. I have booked with one contract and then easily modified that booking and added points from my other contract.

2 Likes

So when you make a resort stay you donā€™t get the drop down like @melcort10, instead you get little rectangles for each contract and it asks which contract you want to use first, then takes any other points from the next contract?

The final booking looks something like this (old reservation)

Looking at this, I managed to make things really complicated right out of the gate!

I always thought they waived this extrication for transfers between memberships?

Because if you have multiple contracts under one membership you can see them all online and can select the one you want.

But it might be that theyā€™ll only allow more than one transfer between contracts under one membership?

I must admit this whole subject confuses me. I just canā€™t keep it in my head (contracts vs memberships) for some Eason, no matter how many times I read it.

So different use years = different memberships but same use year = one membership (regardless of resort). Is that right?

We have 3 resorts, same use year (August), only one membership number. Itā€™s my understanding that the different use year makes you get a different membership number and the scary pull-down. We made sure to get the same use year for that reason.

Iā€™m sure we would have managed though. Our precious small contract is BCV and I donā€™t use those points elsewhere, either.

2 Likes

Thank you for this!

1 Like

This was confirmed by the DIS boards, as long as the titles are exactly the same as @JustKeepSmiling said.

The DisBoards also say that this is informally true. That as long as it is between your own personal contracts/memberships they have never had an issue raised.

Okay, I admit I was the one saying this got easier - and here I am with these questions! :joy:

1 Like

This is important. At 7 months I can pull points from either contract for a non home resort booking because all owners are the same on both contracts and the UY is the same.

2 Likes

One last really in the weeds question:

Say in your case, you booked four days at CCV using your home resort points. At what point can you add two days to the end of the CCV stay, using your other points? Is it when the first day of your stay, booked on CCV points hits the 7 month mark? Or is it when the new day you want to add hits the seven day mark?

This is mostly out of curiousity, but there is a slight advantage there.

If the stay is less than 7 nights you can add nights at 7 months from the start date up to 7 nights.

So booked 4 nights, can add 3 at 7 months from check-in.

2 Likes

After all this, I see a 50 point BWV with a September UY that is beckoning me. Note - I am the one in my family in love with BWV. But the price is so rightā€¦

2 Likes

I have 510 points over 8 separate contracts, but they are all BLT Oct UY. I worked to ensure all were in alignment for a few reasons, in order of priority:

1. Able to maximize the ability to use ALL my points together at 11 months (indeed, because of this, I was able to book an amazing week-long stay at a BLT GV over last Christmas)
  2. Can pretty much always get a reservation for any level accommodation on any date (at BLT) to ensure I can plan my trips within my time constraints. If I want to stay somewhere else, I change the reservation at 7 months, putting in a waitlist if necessary, but at least I know my trip is happening, and Iā€™m always happy to stay at BLT if I cannot get my desired site.
  3. Never have to transfer or combine points from different resorts/UYs when making reservations
  4. I only have to worry about a single banking date. Keeping track of banking and borrowing with 8 separate IDā€™s sounds like a mess.
  5. I only have to keep track of and use one membership ID

One of the biggest cons for me: I can only make one transfer in or out in total. DVC specifies this limit is per membership ID, and since I only have one, I can only do this once per year. Someone else who had 8 contracts at different resorts or UYs would have 8 different membership IDs, and could thus do 8 different transfers. That is a frustrating limitation for me sometimes.

2 Likes

Thanks for this! That BLT GV at Christmas sounds amazing!!!

1 Like