Thoughts on having 2 diferent UY?

I have been putting money away to buy a Poly contract when the new tower comes out.

I have resale points, and I thought it might be nice to have some direct points for if I ever want to stay at a new property. But with current resale prices, I am thinking I might be okay being limited. I may rather just grab a small resale contract and be finished.

My biggest issue is that I have a Sept use year on my current AKL contract. Sept is not the most popular use year and it really limits my ability to go after deals. Does anyone have two different use years? What are the biggest downsides?

1 Like

I have two, August and September and it’s not really an issue for me. Use Year just in general is a big pain the behind but I have to manage the points separately regardless that use year is kind of the least of my worries. I have two separate calendar reminders for banking which is very easy.

The biggest downside would be when you go to travel in separate use-years but that could also be an advantage depending on your bank/borrow strategy.

1 Like

This is what worries me. And can you book a stay with points from both contracts, or do I have to transfer points from one to the other?

If I got a small Poly contract, I would use that by banking and barrowing to only book at the Poly between 7-11 months. My AKL contract would be my walking around points. Its the multiple ressies and waitlists across different use years that confuses me sometimes. But if that really only happens with the AKL points, and Poly was more “organized” it wouldn’t be much of a problem.

1 Like

You can never book one stay with points from both contracts. You would always need to book separately regardless of use year.

I also have BWV for JUST BWV and SSR for everything else. You are still going to need to manage waitlists separately so I am not sure if use-year really makes or breaks the issue.

1 Like

I thought that if you have the same use year it was the same account (can’t think of the exavt right term) and you could book using both at the 7 month mark?

I know you can definitely transfer points from one to the other and then book a single stay. In that cae, UY doesn’t matter.

1 Like

If you’re owning two different resorts I don’t think it matters as much about having 2 use years.

My only question is - does it give you two separate member numbers? I have heard this causes trouble

1 Like

at the home resort.

But if it’s two resorts I think you get two member numbers and then you actually have to go to the trouble - I think - of transferring points between the contracts vs using them both at the same time and booking at will

1 Like

Yes, but that has never caused me any problems. (Yet…?)

1 Like

But you just said about the booking thing.

I think that’s what I was remembering.

Like that I have to book separately? I think that is a common misconception. Even if I want to book 6 months out a stay completely at say OKW, I would need to book 4 nights under one contract and 2 nights under the other. Maybe I have enough points between the two of them to book the 7th night but I can’t somehow merge the points and book 7 nights all together. But this would happen regardless of use-year.

2 Likes

Oh ONLY because of the different resorts

Gotcha

So you have a single membership number?

1 Like

You can definitely transfer points between the two memeber numbers to make this happen! There are limits - you can only trade into an account or out of an account 1 per calendar year. But then at 7 months, you can book all together.

One time use points are essentially disney transfering you points. So I have booked a stay on a combination of my AKL points, transferred HHI points I bought, and AUL points I bought from Disney.

2 Likes

No, I have two membership numbers.

Ok, yes but with a transfer which is limited. It’s not like normal functionality.

2 Likes

And this ability to transfer makes the idea of two seperate memeber numbers/UY/resorts more appealing.

2 Likes

I also think it’s worth noting that I have my precious BWV points that I would never plan to use at 7 months. That seems like your intent with the Poly.

1 Like

Absolutely. That is how I would use them. And I am looking at 75 point contracts so would really need to bank and barrow. But I would hate to be left with a hanging 10 points that had no way to be combined with a bigger pot (so like having transfer in the back pocket)

These days with renting, getting a BWV seems an impossible dream at 7 months. :frowning:

1 Like

Nope.

It’s not easily done and you don’t always have the pick of the litter, but with waitlisting and stalking I had three nights there in September that I booked along the journey after 7 mos.

This is what my dashboard looks like if you are curious. Please ignore my pitiful lack of points.

3 Likes

Caveat- my family seems to travel in high season! Easter/christmas.

This seems to be an advantage at high point resorts (VGC, AKL club) but not at the best of the more reasonable resorts.

I am stalking for November though it is during the wine and dine race…I keep hope alive.

1 Like

Oooh - thank you!

No apologies needed. I have 120 point contract that is fully leveraged through 2024.