The Professor becomes a Captain — a (non-Disney) cruise report

Mousematt, your reaction to the grandeur of the ships is exactly how I feel about them! I can’t wait for my long delayed first cruise, but it is a year away now. Sigh.

1 Like

I haven’t been this excited about something since 2019.

I’m (a) really looking forward to my cruises and (b) totally over my bitterness that you people keep going to WDW every five minutes.

5 Likes

That’s a ship ??? :astonished:

2 Likes

Told you. It’s jaw-dropping.

2 Likes

It would sux to be in all that splendor and sea sick at the same time :pensive:

1 Like

I am marginally worried about this. But, you know, there’s things you can do. And they have things you can buy on board. And there’s a health centre.

3 Likes

I know you will be prepared. It looks amazing!!! I can’t wait to see your pictures and read your TR; oh I hope you do a TR! :pray:

This thread is it. I’m planning on doing a complete report. (Though I’m aware I haven’t returned to finish my birthday trip report yet. I will.)

8 Likes

I’ll be there reading it when you get around to it :wink:

3 Likes

Don’t think we’ve forgotten. I’ve just been too polite to mention it. :wink:

4 Likes

When I did my Alaska cruise, I got seasick one morning (had not on two previous cruises). I bought these wrist bands that have little beads on them that put put gentle pressure on the inside of your wrist and they are meant to help quell the queasiness. I was fine the rest of the time. I might recommend those as a proactive precaution in lieu of medication if you’re worried.

3 Likes

Yes, seabands! They are a lifesaver on cruises!

2 Likes

Hmm.

You’re not going to like this.

I’m thinking of cancelling the DCL cruise.

For a number of reasons.

1. Isn’t two cruises within a month of each other a bit excessive? Especially when they are kinda the same cruise. In terms of routing.

2. Two cruises is definitely very expensive. Especially the DCL one. All in, nearly $3,000 for three nights. The MSC cruise is nearer $4,000 but it’s seven nights and includes that crazily unlimited drinks package. And tips.

3. I’ve been thinking about the finances of my next trip to Florida — which I hope will be next summer. It will be a lot easier to pay for if I have cruise refund money hanging around.

4. I only need to abandon Calvin once this summer if I cancel one cruise.

5. The MSC cruise is in late August — maybe there’ll be less COVID nonsense onboard by then. The DCL one is somewhat limited and very masky. (Maybe there’ll be more COVID nonsense. Maybe we’ll be in the grip of our third wave. Or all dying of a vaccine-resistant variant.)

But mainly — this is the really shocking part — I’ve just never been that excited about the DCL cruise. Sure, there are aspects that sound cool. But — I know this is weird — I’m just not that into Disney stuff. You know, the shows and character meets and whatnot. I’m not sure what it is about WDW that has been so addictive in the past, but it hasn’t been links to movies and their characters. Honestly? I find FOTLK kinda boring. The Nemo show traumatised me. BATB was boring, too. I’ve never seen Frozen and never will. FEA is lost on me and I have no interest in catching up.

The MSC ship, on the other hand, blows my mind. It’s so huge and luxurious. It has five pools, including one indoors. And a water park and a ropes course. I’m genuinely super-excited to go on it. (And, being bigger and newer, will it be less seasicky?)

I’m open to counter-argument, but the current plan — if I feel the same in the morning — is to call and cancel.

8 Likes

Nah. Can’t argue with you. I agree.

(Sorry if that is not what you wanted.)

I’m extremely interested in an MSC Meraviglia cruise for either 12/12 or 1/2 out of Port Canaveral and I have you to thank for that.

I hope you do the 7 night one. That’s a great price for 7-nights for single supplement and all the add ons. I think it will answer whether or not you are a cruiser. If so - you have gazillions of options all around the world once this pandemic thing abates. DCL will be available later, too.

4 Likes

It was what I wanted. I want people to tell me to cancel. I’ve pretty much made up my mind. I’ve wondered whether there’s something I’m missing. Some killer counter-argument.

The horrifying truth in part is that I’m also trying to be sensible and responsible. As I said, next year’s trip to Florida is much easier to pay for if I only have one cruise this year.

6 Likes

Well - I think part of enjoying this year’s vacations includes keeping next year’s vacations on the table.

At the end of the summer is good timing. It gives you something to look forward to and you can watch videos, look at reviews, etc. By the time you get back you are inside the 12 months for next year’s trip.

I really hope you like it. You can have active days and quiet days. Live music and extra desserts. IIRC you did Aurea (?) and dining add ons? So much variety. :+1:

4 Likes

You should be in bed!

4 Likes

My first reaction was to laugh. This is so you.

My advice has always been that you need a vacation - something to help you unwind from the stresses of the pandemic and everything else going on (or not going on) in your life.

But it doesn’t have to be Disney. More days for less cost per day sounds like a great deal. And it is probably prudent of you to limit to one vacation within the next couple of months so you can evaluate the cruise experience, then decide what you want to do with your money next.

5 Likes

It is done.

Feel pretty neutral about it, tbh. No rush of relief. No great sadness.

And I do still have an awesome cruise on the books.

7 Likes

Did you see the news about the Virtuosa not being able to go to Scotland this week? It won’t affect you of course (unless things go terribly wrong with reopening), but it shows what a minefield all this is. It’s 8 weeks till my Norway cruise and they still say we’ll be able to go on excursions even though Norway is currently shut, and it’s on the amber list. Though they haven’t started selling them yet.

2 Likes