The Professor becomes a Captain — a (non-Disney) cruise report

Meanwhile US residents are posting perky trip reports titled “My seventeenth trip to WDW this month!”

Yeah. I’m not bitter.

6 Likes

Well I came here to bitterly post that my cruise upon the Magic has been cancelled so I’ll have to live through you who are allowed on the ship! But you don’t want to go!? I can’t bring myself to look at other cruise lines and WDW looks awfully crowded this fall. But I can’t just NOT spend the money I’ve already allocated? And I can’t really even upgrade my DLP trip…

3 Likes

Sorry your cruise was cancelled!

4 Likes

Thanks! I was actually thinking it was pretty safe in October since most ships are restarting this summer but I’m guessing they must need time between the Magic’s UK trips and US trips. I think ours was only a couple weeks after the last staycation.

2 Likes

It wasn’t so much that I didn’t want to go as that I had to make a choice. I just couldn’t justify doing both. The MSC cruise is, well, just better. For me.

Sucks that your cruise was cancelled. I honestly didn’t ever think that COVID would destroy two summers.

5 Likes

No, I totally get it! I had never heard of the MSC line but it looks amazing! I wouldn’t hesitate to do that and for the price you can’t beat it. In all honesty, I think our summer will be ok. We are still on track to go to France and the DCL was supposed to be a backup to that! So Disney made the budget choice for us I suppose.

3 Likes

You really should… :ship:

I was just thinking this this morning.
Unfathomable.

3 Likes

Ok, ok… you’ve twisted my arm. Looks like RCL goes out of New Jersey and there is a 7 night sailing with a perfect day that’s less than our 5 night DCL! It also stops in Port Canaveral from 1pm-9pm. What would we do with that I wonder?

3 Likes

I asked on chat. Is this an Anthem sailing?

1 Like

Oh, you know I hadn’t even looked at the ships at first. It’s on Oasis of the seas! That’s one of the bigger ones, right? There is another itinerary I’m looking at on the Enchantment of the seas. I’m try to leave from NY/NJ.

2 Likes

Oh yeah. Oh yeah.
She’s looking. She’s looking.

I’m so close to booking. But I kinda need to buy a house and move first. :woman_facepalming:

2 Likes

Oasis is even better than Anthem! Go big!

1 Like

Hahaha the big ships actually intimidate me! I had originally been planning to “start” with the Mariner of the seas. But the Oasis is a 7 night itinerary so it will be good to be on a big ship since it has 3 sea days, Nassau which I will likely skip and then this Orlando day that seems like a waste!

1 Like

Two words: the shows!

2 Likes

I don’t want to hijack Matt’s post too much, but maybe he has gone to bed. Are the shows Preschool/Kindergarten friendly??

It’s 7.50pm, I think he might still be up :joy:

3 Likes

It’s not even 8pm and I often don’t go to bed till 2am.

6 Likes

Ok, ok, I forgot my sarcastic font today! (Although I do always forget that you all are 5 and not 6 hours ahead!)

On RCL ships, only a few things are not so Preschool/Kindergarten - or other young children - friendly, and they will state that on the printed agenda as well as at the event. Those are usually the late-night comedy acts, the “Love & Marriage” game show, and The Quest (scavenger hunt within the one large room/bar/ice rink). Most of the main shows in the theater are either musicals, jugglers/magicians, comedy, or singers/music groups, and there are ice skating shows and swimming/diving shows on ships with ice rinks or high-diving pools (like Oasis).

1 Like

Ok: CHANGE of plans! (Fits right in!) And now I know @sanstitre_has_left_the_building is still awake to read this.

My tears are still not quite dry over my Magic sailing being cancelled but I’ve been scrambling to figure out other options. There are no more DCL sailings out of NYC in 2021 and my DH has no more vacation in 2022 because we are already taking a March adults-only cruise and my sabbatical. So I was looking at fall RCL sailings but they are on the more expensive side and I am not interested in the Enchantment of the Seas.

Well starting in the fall I will have an elementary schooler so I said to DH that hmm, I wish we could go on February vacation. So one thing turns into another and (mom of the year) my adults-only cruise on the Mariner of the Seas in March looks like it could just morph into a family cruise on the Anthem of the seas in February! And I can do 7 nights on this ship for $2,000 less than my 5 night DCL cruise. We are still a little bummed about no Halloween on the High seas, but perhaps in 2023.

Now… what about the babysitting days that we already were promised by Nana and Papa? And what about those 10 whole expiring DVC points?? I had booked one night at BWV before our March cruise with our brand new points. I even set my alarm that morning. Well that’s out. :sob: But we still have the SW companion pass for the remainder of 2021. So now DH and I are looking at a quick weekend trip in December if only there were a single studio to be had anywhere! As much as it would pain me to use our precious BWV points at SSR that’s not even an option. So I’m going to try and waitlist a couple of random nights and stalk and see how we do! I’m thinking this might be a great RV Tower Studio opportunity! Or VWL at Christmas! Then we could supplement a couple of cash nights elsewhere. Wish us luck!

6 Likes