The Professor becomes a Captain — a (non-Disney) cruise report

100% agree with you. I have booked packages and cancelled before and you have to call to cancel or make changes…it sucks. They need to get with the times.

1 Like

Two hours and ten minutes. Then I had to bail. I have a student.

3 Likes

This cruise sounds like so much fun! Even the planning does. I look forward to reading more about your trip!

I’ve never been on a cruise. I was going to go on my first one next month with two family members, but the company canceled because of war here in Israel. Not an official war, but we can see rockets flying and have had to run for shelter when we hear sirens.

The cruise we had planned was like a two-day one to Cyprus which is not far from Israel. Some of the information in this thread would help me with decisions to be made for any cruise.

Palo sounds enjoyable. Although I’ve gone to formal weddings and dinners where formal dress was assumed, I was never at a place that said they required it - that would be new. As far as seeming greedy at a buffeteria, there may be a way around that. I think I’d pretend to be embarrassed and then the server would reply by saying no problem, please feel free to ask for anything you want! :wink:

9 Likes

Oh my goodness, I hope you stay safe.

I don’t think I’d have to pretend to be embarrassed :joy:

3 Likes

Be safe. What is happening is terrible :frowning:

3 Likes

The system for Universal that TAs use (VAX) was down for a long time yesterday. That may account for the horrendous hold times.

:heart: :heart: :heart:
Maybe not official war, but official bombs, so :pray:t3: for you all.

5 Likes

That’s awful.

Hope it’s fixed! :flushed:

It is. It came back up last night.

1 Like

Simultaneous to being on hold for over two hours I was sending messages to Universal on Facebook Messenger. Each response from them took about half an hour.

Anyhoo, they arranged for me to get a call-back within the next three days. About an hour later I got an e-mail from the call-back people saying they would cancel the package by e-mail. Which they did. They also said it would take four to six weeks to receive a refund, though I don’t believe that. We’ll see.

7 Likes

Oh, then today I got a customer survey by e-mail. I used it to express a view. It was pretty unequivocal.

11 Likes

From you?! Noooo…

5 Likes

Congratulations mousematt! I just saw this thread so will be following now. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That made me snort laugh. Thank you. :grin:

Regular readers will know that I have now added a second — non-Disney — cruise to my summer plans. Here are the details of how that happened.

Having committed to the DCL cruise I started avidly watching YouTube videos about cruising — and not just on DCL. Last week I saw one about the new ship MSC Virtuosa. It’s a much bigger ship than the Magic and the video tour of it blew me away. It looked incredibly. And it’s doing UK staycation cruises. Almost immediately I looked into pricing one up.

My initial idea to get on board as soon as possible — they’ve already started their itineraries — didn’t work out as I couldn’t get childcare, so the idea faded. But over the weekend I made the decision to abandon my August WDW trip and a second cruise was back on the agenda. It turned out they had a perfect combination of dates and departure / return port and I booked with very little additional thought or research.

I’ve booked a seven night cruise from Liverpool to Liverpool. But, unlike the DCL cruises, these ones do actually stop at other ports — Glasgow, Belfast and Southampton — where it is possible to take excursions. (That’s technically three different countries, if you’re counting.)

Having decided on the specific cruise, the next decision was cabin type. Easy: balcony. After that you choose the “experience” you want — in order of increasing cost: Bella, Fantastica and Aurea. The level determines a number of features. While each offers balcony cabins, the Aurea balcony cabins are in better locations than the Bella balcony cabins, for example. The Aurea experience allows you to dine whenever you want without booking or selecting an early / late option. And so on. Bella wasn’t available. I chose Aurea because I wanted a midships cabin (seasickness concerns) and the other perks seemed worth the extra cost to me.

You then choose your specific cabin. In my case a choice of one. I guess these things are booking up.

The fare is more all-inclusive than DCL. For a start, it includes gratuities. And it comes with a drinks package. Though there is a premium for being a solo traveller, they don’t charge you double like DCL does. In fact, they have some cabins (albeit inside cabins) that are designed for solo travellers.

Once I paid my deposit I was able to log in to the MSC website (or use the app) and start booking extras — no waiting until I’d paid the full amount (like DCL) and no nonsense with status determining when you can book things.

I have a couple of upcharge decisions to make. The first is whether or not to upgrade to the Premium Plus drinks package. The included package covers drinks up to £10 ($14) each. But the Plus package has no limit and includes champagne and big name brand spirits. The upcharge is £13 ($18) per night if you book it before you board. (It’s slightly higher if you book it onboard.) You don’t need to drink a lot of champagne to make that deal worth it. It also upgrades the room service offering. Unlike DCL (this time DCL wins) room service food is chargeable, but my package gives free room service delivery. The Premium Plus drinks package makes room service food — and the minibar — free.

I’ve decided to make the upgrade. One of the parents of my students — who has just finished his two years of tuition with me — gave me a £200 ($280) gratuity and I promised her I’d spend it on the upgrade and would toast her in champagne.

The second upcharge option is to prebook and prepay for meals in the chargeable restaurants. There are four of these. I don’t get the impression that they’re Palo standard, but they’re better than the standard fare. There’s a steakhouse, a sushi restaurant, Vietnamese/French fusion and some kind of tacos / nachos type experience. Booking all four costs £106 ($150).

There are other choices to make, too.

First, WIFI. The WIFI package is £50 ($70) for the trip. I’m torn on this one. I’m tempted to go cold turkey and disconnect completely for the week. (Well, I’ll be able to use my cell service when we’re in ports to catch up on “important” messages and e-mails.)

Second, excursions. These cost between £50 and £60 ($70 to $85) each. Because of the ship’s COVID protocols, you are only allowed to leave the ship if you are on one of their excursions and you are kept together as a pack during the excursion. I’ve never been to Northern Ireland so I think I’ll definitely sign up for a Belfast excursion. Scotland has some beautiful scenery and there’s a cruise (!) on Loch Lomond which is tempting. There is some benefit to staying onboard during a port day as the ship will be quieter and you have more chance of getting time in one of the five (ahem) pools. And I’d have internet access via my phone. Maybe I could do some online catch-up then.

I leave you with a thought and some photos.

I feel a little guilty about taking two cruises. Not least because it’s stretching my finances a little. But then I figure I was robbed of a proper vacation last summer, so I’m really only reclaiming what is rightfully mine :wink:

Those glass stairs are stuffed with Swarovski crystals.

1281383C-154C-451D-8BEF-9F8757CC0B73

The ceiling is a giant video screen which runs the full length of the galleria and the image changes regularly.

10 Likes

100%

4 Likes

Wow! Looks gorgeous!

1 Like

Well I am out of town for a few days and look at what develops! Congrats! I hope you love it and I hope it’s super soon. I’ll be following closely! If you need encouragement, I think you should do the Loch Lomond cruise! So you take the high road and I’ll take the low road and you’ll be in Scotland before me. (I am going next year but I hear Loch Lomond and can’t help myself…)

3 Likes

Do you get the Smithsonian channel? We have been devouring this show! I keep rewatching some of them. ETA: It’s called Mighty Cruise Ships!

I upgraded my drinks package.

Here’s a post about it. It’s wild.

Also, look how pretty my ship is:

8 Likes