The Professor becomes a Captain — a (non-Disney) cruise report

You don’t actually need a jacket for Palo (I think you might for Remy on the bigger ships). Males do need dress pants, collared shirt and dress shoes. We have eaten at Palo twice-dinner on the Dream (2019) and brunch on the Magic (2020, prior to cruise shutdown). My DH has never worn a jacket or even brought one on the cruise.

Matt, brunch is the right choice. I enjoyed it much better than dinner. The buffet is excellent and the chicken Parmesan entree is the best.

Enjoy your trip. I am jealous I have had 2 cruises cancel including one for this fall on the Magic. That one cancelled to allow the Magic to sail the last few UK sailings. I can’t wait to hear all about it.

1 Like

I ate at both Palo and Remy. I don’t think there was anyone in Palo without a jacket but I agree the rules will not block you from eating there. I did eat there at finner. At Remy I saw them turning multiple people away after offering them appropriate clothing.

1 Like

Do they have the butternut squash ravioli at brunch?

1 Like

This is right. Found a pic at Palo brunch in Jan 2019 on the Wonder. Just a polo shirt and khakis were fine, but I did dress up more on ‘formal night’. Palo really is a good deal for what all you get, esp. for Disney.

6 Likes

[REDACTED] years ago, for our honeymoon, @alpha_foxtrot and I did a land/sea package with a three day cruise. I still think fondly on our dinner at Palo, it was that good. I had a rack of lamb and an insanely good creme brulee. The only downside is that it was on the animator’s palate night, so we missed the one room I wanted the most in the rotation. I guess we’ll just have to suck it up and take another cruise.

11 Likes

Brunch at Palo is wonderful. I highly recommend if it’s available

1 Like

I don’t remember if they were on the menu or not. I think (but might be wrong) that the brunch menu is completely different then the dinner menu.
I did have them for dinner and they were amazing.

I enjoyed both of my meals but we preferred brunch. We liked the buffet option, especially the cheeses. We also liked still being able to go to all the evening meals in the main dining room. We enjoyed the view out of the windows of the ocean. It was dark during our dinner so we couldn’t see out. Plus, since we have children, we could still eat dinner with us. They didn’t care that we went to a fancy lunch without them but miss having dinner with us in the win dining rooms.

2 Likes

We did Concierge because we had a teen and a big kid. I would have got two rooms anyway so it wasn’t that much more to get the one bedroom suite. I can tell you what that meant. We did not wait in line at the port and got priority boarding which means a jump start on the water slide and lunch. Free booze and I’ll tell you right now the coffee is worth it. The regular coffee is bleh. We had the real coffee machine in our lounge. There are private deck areas as well so less crowded. We also had unlimited bottled waters and sodas in our room fridge which was nice. My parents paid for some kind of bottled water package as they were in a verandah room. For your cruise this doesn’t matter but for us it did as we got first booking on the premium dining, spa, excursions and cabanas at Castaway Cay which was worth it to us alone.

Oh yeah the best part with the suite was the real bathroom with a jacuzzi tub and separate very large shower. The bathroom was regular hotel sized (plus there was another for the kids).

But having said all that it would be too much for one or two people and without excursions and cabanas and such not worth it imho

2 Likes

Does anyone know how Palo is modifying brunch menu for COVID times? I’d imagine they aren’t setting up the buffets any more…

Congrats, Matt. I can’t wait to hear all about it. :slight_smile:

Have you planned out your door magnets? Not ones you’d be upset to lose if some jerk steals them, but ones you’ve made to decorate your door?

My non DCL cruise will still have buffets but staff will serve you.

1 Like

Ah, the “buffeteria” model. That makes sense. Maybe a little more self conscious when having to ask someone to load your plate for you though…

2 Likes

Yes very true!

1 Like

That’s what they did at Alton Towers when I stayed last year, and again last month.

On the one hand, British people don’t necessarily want to look like they’re being greedy. On the other hand Northerners (such as myself) don’t care what other people think about us.

But, frankly, this trip is costing me so much as a singleton that I really don’t care what anyone else thinks. I’m going to be greedy like you wouldn’t believe.

9 Likes

After being blackmailed by Disney to pay the balance of my cruise early, last night I sat down to consider how I’m actually going to pay off the credit card I used.

The answer was to cancel my stay at UOR during my August trip. I was originally taking my two friends and it made sense to book a room at one of the premium hotels to get the Express Passes.

I have been on hold to Universal for one and a half hours and they still haven’t answered.

There is no excuse for this. It is just terrible, terrible customer services. I think you US types are used to this kind of nonsense and just accept it. It NEVER happens in the UK.

By the way this is an international call I’m making here. Unlike Disney they have no UK number.

Why can I not just cancel online?

3 Likes

Having a good TA is worth their weight in gold! :sunglasses:

Not really a thing here.

You can. Just go in like you are making a new reservation, then click on My Reservations in the top right corner. Last name and confirmation number will get you to the right place, then there is a cancel button (or modify if you prefer to change hotels/dates).

Apparently not. I booked a package (room and tickets) by phone. I couldn’t find any record of it. And the online chat people said I had to call. For some reason they can’t cancel it.

Two hours now. Two.

1 Like

Ugh, sorry.

2 Likes