The In-Between: A Solo Adventure Between the Holidays and Marathon Weekend

Howdy folks!

In just 24 hours I will be almost on the ground at MCO, embarking on a short visit over a long weekend at Walt Disney World! I’m traveling solo for this visit leaving my lovely family at home so I can focus on hitting things they wouldn’t prefer to spend time on. I had hoped to visit over Marathon weekend and work some spectating and meetups into my plan, but both airfare and hotel accommodations were far more expensive and so I landed here, 1/4-7. I’ll just miss those folks who spent the holiday, as they leave when I arrive; and I’ll miss most runners as they arrive when I leave.

This visit has me at Art of Animation in a Little Mermaid room. I have not stayed at AoA before so I chose it over Pop or All Stars which I have experienced in the past. I’m excited to be on the Skyliner route (loop? line? how are we saying this?) and plan to use it a fair bit.

I’ll be looking to experience some new and new-to-me dining locations this visit as well. I’ll be hitting up many lounges for small plates, but do have TS ADR for Cali Grill brunch (duh! have you just met me??), Chefs de France for lunch, Topolino breakfast, and Be Our Guest PPO breakfast. I’m paying out of pocket for this stay for a couple of reasons. First, I did not want to be locked into needing to use credits and therefore limiting myself or forcing myself to stick with the plan. Secondly I have paid for this trip largely with business income and Christmas gifts, the lot of which would not have arrived in time for final payment on a package at 30 days out. So I went room only and stocked up on discounted Disney gift cards via Target and Target.com.

I will NOT be visiting SWGE. I know, I know. It’s THE biggest thing to happen to WDW in a long long time (in a galaxy far far away). But I’m not a SW fan and my husband is a huge fan, so I’m saving this entire experience for when I can enjoy it with him in April. I’m looking forward to seeing him see it more than anything, since I really won’t know much of what I’m looking at.

I hope you’ll follow along for this solo adventure! And if you’re in the World when I am, private message me here if you would like to try to meet up :slight_smile:

I am all checked in for my flight on Southwest which departs MHT at 0605 tomorrow. Watch this space for updates beginning soon!!

44 Likes

Yayyy I can’t wait to follow along!!

3 Likes

Enjoy your solo trip and AoA!! I really enjoyed my stay in the Little Mermaid rooms!!

Safe journey!!

2 Likes

It sounds wonderful!!! I had planned a Jan3-7 trip with DD21, but her college plans changed so we had to cancel. Following your trip will help keep me smiling, even though I’m not there!

For Princess and Star Wars race weekends, I’ve got Topolino ADRs which I’m not sure about keeping, so I look forward to that review especially!

5 Likes

You still have 24 hours to watch all 9 movies. :wink:

4 Likes

See also, “not a fan”

7 Likes

How can you be a fan unless you watch them? :wink:

(Okay…I’ll admit, my wife is in the same boat as you, so I totally get it.)

1 Like

I have seen the original three when I was a child. I have seen parts of them here and there since. I’m not into sci-fi - it’s not my gig.

5 Likes

Looks like I will just miss you by a couple of days. I always stock up on Target electronic Disney GC before each trip. A great way to save 5% off the top. Generally I will use them for QS if there is no line and use them to cover all of my TS meals. Hope you plan on a live report.

1 Like

Woohoo!! Can’t wait to follow along!

1 Like

Indeed that is what this will be

1 Like

Awesome! Safe travels. Looking forward to following along!

1 Like

This was an option for me when I was looking at my upcoming solo trip. This would have also been really weird a middle aged guy, so I passed.

3 Likes

excellent! safe travels and thanks for sharing your trip with us!

2 Likes

I think at WDW we are all kids, so you’d have just been a little boy in that room which would have been totally fine.

Where did you land instead?

2 Likes

Here’s hoping we have low crowds! Looking at the calendar now I should have made the trip for the following week. It’s going to be a blast though. Maybe I will see you at brunch! Haha

4 Likes

Looking forward to following along! Just diagnosed with pneumonia so I’ll be resting up and plenty of time to read. Enjoy your solo fun!

2 Likes

I agree 100%!!

I do find “The Child” (Baby Yoda) cute, but not enough to watch. LOL.

2 Likes

I wanted Pop, but there wasn’t availability for when I could get down there at the end of January. I ended up at All-Star Sports.

1 Like

Liking for the follow. Certainly not liking that you are sick! Be well! I will do my best to keep you entertained!

3 Likes