The Genie Thread! All WDW Info Here

As I understand it, you can book your third LL after you tap into the LL you booked at 10:30, or at 12:30, whichever comes first.

7 Likes

Thanks! I thought so, but I’m flustered this morning and can’t remember what I knew.

2 Likes

To be clear: Tapping into SDD does NOT give you another opportunity to book, if you made your second booking at 10:30.

3 Likes

Rant:

I just had to help my elderly inlaws with a bit of a WDW mess. They bought tickets and didn’t know they needed a reservation, and the day they wanted to go was sold out.

We got that sorted.

Then they didn’t know how to link their tickets to their MDE so they could make a reservation on the new date.

For Pete’s sake they didn’t even know how to get MDE on their phone.

Why they didn’t ask for my help I don’t know (well, I kind of do - they are at that age where they are afraid to ask for help with anything for fear it will expose their frailty).

But in any case this whole dang system is just terrible for people like them who struggle with technology but who are forced to have to use it just to gain entry.

We didn’t even broach the subject of Genie/Genie+/ILL… they would never be able to figure that out. I hope they have a decent day. I don’t think they will.

13 Likes

It’s honestly a shame that WDW has excluded a portion of their clientele. A small one but still… I have a few family members that would show up to buy tickets at the front gate, never knowing they had to reserve anything. And downloading an app??? That could take all morning.

6 Likes

Maybe make a list of attraction that we all know don’t require long waits without LLs or ILL. Somethings to focus on so they don’t get caught up in the long waits and get frustrated during their stay.

6 Likes

So I said to my FIL, “We have to add the app to your phone now”

He says, “I don’t think I can do that on my flip phone”

No. No you can’t.

Fortunately my MIL has an iphone.

13 Likes

:pray:

4 Likes

When I was at DLR this past weekend, I made all the LL reservations. When it was time for DW and I to leave, I had to quickly train the rest of the party on how to make reservations for themselves since they stayed a few hours after we left. I was able to get the gist of it across to one of them, but the other two were totally lost. :joy:

It’s a really steep learning curve. It helps to have gone through paper FP > FPP > MaxPass > Genie+ and know what the system is doing under the hood. Like learning long division before you use a calculator, you need to understand not just what to do but why so that you can adapt to unexpected circumstances.

9 Likes

That’s sad and frustrating. How did you get them park reservations on the sold out day? Oops maybe I shouldn’t ask.

1 Like

I didn’t. They had to pick a different day and change their tickets.

3 Likes

Ohhh. Crap.

1 Like

Yep.

2 Likes

As I’ve said before, it practically takes an advanced degree.

Just send them to AK and tell them to spend the day at Nomad.

9 Likes

Yesterday was my first time in a Disney park in 21 years, so it was my first time using any of those things. But I spent the past year watching videos and reading blogs, and the past five months making sure I understood G+. It worked exactly as I’d prepared for, and I got five G+ LLs plus ROTR on a fairly crowded DHS day. But I can’t imagine having been able to do that without all that prep work. A quick conversation right before my mentor left the park really wouldn’t have been enough. And if I weren’t already technology-conversant? Heck no. Fuggedaboutit.

10 Likes

I’m so glad you were able to use it effectively!

2 Likes

Thank you, so am I! I couldn’t have done it without a good number of smart people posting information about how to do it. The info Disney provides isn’t sufficient at all.

4 Likes

If you don’t mind sharing, what LLs did you get and when? Would love to hear about your experience.

2 Likes

Oh sure! I don’t quite remember the exact times, but this is the right order, and the times are pretty close.

7:00 - got ROTR first (scheduled for 12:05), then SDD for 5:50pm (rode around 6:00)
11:00 - got TOT for 7:50pm (rode around 8:20)
1:00 - got MFSR for 7:30pm (tapped in at 7:27 — I remember this one)
3:00 - got ASS for 5:20pm (rode around 5:40)
5:00 - got Star Tours for pretty much right then. It was a walk-on for standby, too, but I still count it!

After TOT, I rode RNRC via the single-rider line. Standby was posted at 40 minutes at the time, I think, but I was on and off in 15 minutes.

My LL strategy was to always look for whatever attraction had the latest availability at the time I was booking, since it was going to be the next to sell out.

Edited to add:
I know I said in a previous reply that I got one LL after I tapped into a ride, but on second thought, I don’t think I did. I got the last at 5, as listed here. So much blurs together so quickly.

Also, I just wanted to add the rest of the day in here for context, in case anyone’s interested. Our morning was rope-dropping MMRR (45 min), standing in line for coffee, and then riding TSM standby (60 min). The hour-plus-long Joffrey’s line was the longest one we stood in all day.

Afternoon was ROTR, lunch at Brown Derby Lounge (40-minute wait list), and then shows: Muppets, Frozen, Indy. Then in the evening we did all those stacked LLs and grabbed dinner in the gap between SDD and MFSR (a little from Woody’s Lunch Box and a little from Docking Bay 7).

8 Likes

Sorry for a late response. Another strategy is to get ROTR first and then get SDD when the time refresh between 7:08 and 7:15. This refresh is still consistent, and gets you earlier times, but I would make sure it is still happe ing before your trip.

5 Likes