The Genie Thread! All WDW Info Here

Agree. We climb the treehouse every trip, but i wouldn’t put it on a touring plan first thing in the morning. I love random wandering days in the parks but given we are talking about how Genie impacts touring plans, I was reflecting on an optimal touring plan and how much it might be impacted by diverting even small amounts of crowds away from the headliners (determined objectively by how much their wait times impact plan optimization).

3 Likes

I fully expected Genie to divert crowds to smaller attractions, but I thought Disney would be smart about it and pepper those recommendations in with headliners as well. Very odd that the code isn’t doing that, and I presume they will fix it.

4 Likes

This sounds like it would be particularly challenging for guests who like to take afternoon breaks from the parks.

2 Likes

TP learned a new Genie trick per their tweets

“We found a small hack to tell Genie when you want to end touring. If you add a 2nd park to hop to and tell Genie when you will be hopping, Genie will only give you recommendations for the 1st park until it is time to leave.”

7 Likes

:laughing: :rofl: :sweat_smile: :joy: :rofl: :sweat_smile:

OMG your optimism is… precious

14 Likes

I think that this is, “these sold out quickly, we’re not charging enough.”

6 Likes

Probably :frowning:

2 Likes

What happens if the ride breaks down for a time while you are on it? Has this been covered? Say Rise gets stuck for 5-10 min, not long enough to evacuate, but long enough to be annoying? Refund, re-ride? Sorry if this has been covered already

1 Like

As I expected and hoped…working in conjunction, a TP plan and everyone else using Genie is going to be a very beneficial for us.

If Genie keeps everyone clustered to a land and is sending them to smaller attractions, we’ll be able to weave through the crowds like a hot knife through butter.

I’m seeing nothing but wins here. I don’t understand why everyone, including TP, is bellyaching and trying to make sure everyone knows how it’s not doing as good a job as it could be.

5 Likes

If you’re able to complete your ride, your purchase is considered fulfilled. No refunds or rerides. Disney’s philosophy here is that you’re not buying a “perfect ride experience” but instead just skipping the line to ride a ride.

On tuesday (I think it was tuesday) the folks over at WDWNT were doing a Rise, and the preshows failed. So they walked them straight into the final sorting. No refunds or reride were offered.

3 Likes

I forgot where I saw it, but this is the basics:

ILL - if you are on it and then it resumes, no option to evacuate, then no compensation. If you MUST evacuate, then you are compensated in various ways, depending on if the ride stays down or not, and if you can make use of a chance to ride later. If you can OPT to evacuate or stay put, then no compensation. I think this is a policy still forming.

ETA: changed wording to show it’s not always a refund as such.

2 Likes

RotR gave out BGs to use anytime during the day (after a break down earlier this week). If the ride never reopens that day the money would be refunded at that time. I linked a DFB report on this earlier.

2 Likes

I don’t think that the free genie option is misinforming anyone, per se. However, the free offering should be valuable. If it’s not, the customer will become frustrated and disenfranchised with the product.

4 Likes

No refunds will be offered, but skilled negotiators can often get something from Guest Services in some situations.

3 Likes

So basically… “Not you, @Randall1028.”

4 Likes

I just think it isn’t working quite how Disney intended. But I agree with @Randall1028 that if they don’t fix it, that’s nothing but good news for Liners.

4 Likes

I mean, it is kind of nonsense if I have to $75 for my family of 5 and not get the whole experience. This is what Disney is opening themselves up to with pay to ride.

6 Likes

Nor me. (I’m still bitter about being rejected for a second ride at Remy. :rage:)

6 Likes

They are doing refunds

The Attraction We PAID to Ride Broke Down THREE Times in Disney World — Here’s What Happened Next! | the disney food blog

2 Likes

Yes I think this is what’s happening. We’ll have to watch for a pattern though. Who knows if they’ll release at the same time every day.

Yes this is how it works. It can be tricky, but when doing this with MaxPass, I could usually get a pass for one or two lesser rides while waiting for my preferred ride return time to come up. Or while taking a break outside the park, keep checking the app to see what the return time is, and then getting one when it hits the sweet spot I need.

4 Likes