The Genie Thread! All WDW Info Here

Thanks! I’m not sold on doing G+ and we planned on utilizing ETPE and hopping to another park in the evening, so this is good info.

1 Like

I need this to be explained in words of one syllable. Or maybe with actual examples.

7 Likes

We could go with @len’s description, Extra Magic Minutes… (EMM)…

Oh wait, there was Early Morning Magic. These acronyms are getting hard.

6 Likes

:rofl: :joy: :rofl: DFB created a one page doc you could down load to help ppl navigate Genie but the font they picked was awful and made it impossible to read w/o a magnifying glass.

5 Likes

I read through the article once, and…I don’t follow Tom. He focuses on “last action”…but it isn’t clear what defines a “last action”. I would have thought tapping in would be a last action, but it isn’t. Huh? But if you tap in, you can immediately book another LL? Only, you can’t?

I’m left not sure what, in practice, is the right thing to do. (Not that I’m doing it or anything, just sayin’.) I think I’ll have to re-read through it more carefully. I clearly am misunderstanding something.

2 Likes

It didn’t make sense to me either, but I assume he just wanted to use the Last Action Hero line. :joy:

In any case, the concept stands as laid out in my Rules in the lead post.

1 Like

The kicker that allows all of this to work is in bold:

If you get subsequent LL reservation using method C, you can still get another LL reservation via method A or B. If you get a subsequent reservation using method A or B, method C is now locked out.

The reason for this is that the system is rewarding you for waiting the full two hours by granting you an additional Genie+ slot, as if you had two accounts. Every two hours you wait to use a LL reservation, you get another slot - like having three, four, etc. accounts.

But if you’re able to use your LL reservation within two hours, the system thinks you’re getting your own reward by riding rides sooner.

2 Likes

I think we need a flow chart showing the possible multiplying effect Tom refers to. It feels like one of the things that one visual could take the place of pages of text.

4 Likes

Here’s a link to the one from DFB w/ the horrible font: 2021_wdw_genie_printable.jpg (1170×1568) (disneyfoodblog.com)

2 Likes

OMG that font. I legit gave up on reading it!

3 Likes

IKR?!?

Bah

2 Likes

Super helpful article! Now all I need is someone to put this into a visual chart so I can “see” it more clearly. So many moving pieces. That part about letting your LL one-hour time frame expire so that you could get another LL reservation, but then tapping in during the 15-minute grace period thereby allowing you to get a second LL blew my mind!

3 Likes

I would be happy to make a visual, but I really need to understand the process better. :thinking:

3 Likes

I’ll try to put together something visual … unless someone with graphic design experience beats me to it! :wink:

4 Likes

if you want to sketch it out (electronically or a napkin, whichever works best) I can take it and do the graphical part.

3 Likes

If it was just a poor choice of body font it wouldn’t be as bad as pairing it with almost no contrast between the text and the background. Definitely not done by a professional!

3 Likes

Okay, I had been hearing stories of this and thought, “no, surely people are misunderstanding”.

But I guess the doubling effect is real if you do it right with those rides that are more than 2 hours away. That could increase your passes exponentially. Of course it doesn’t do you much good unless you are at MK, or doing some serious park hoping, but still…

3 Likes

:raising_hand_woman::raising_hand_woman::raising_hand_woman::raising_hand_woman:

I have one. It works for G+ not ILL$. What you do is choose “edit selection” and choose only the ride you want to refresh. Then that ride will show as the only ride at the top of your page, and you can pull the screen down over and over to refresh.

To your point it works more efficiently earlier in the day when it is cycling though more available times. I have gotten a ROTR to pop after "distribution was done. Here are pictues from 5:20 pm:

Then after about 30 times pullin the screen down to refresh:

Took a couple of minutes, that’s all.

12 Likes

Good tip, thanks! @Jeff_AZ - worthwhile to add to the tips section?

5 Likes

Well this was more elaborate than I was planning, but below is a graphic showing the times to do each step in a theoretical day at Hollywood Studios. The first chart just goes far enough into the day to show me using each of the rules. The second chart goes all the way through the day showing how I was able to theoretically get all 12 attractions at HS done, with the ability to get 3 more LL reservations at another park, if that park opened later. Depending on crowds and return times, you could get even more attractions crammed into a day.

Specifically:

1. First LL Reservation All guests may apply for your first LL reservation at 7am on the day of your visit
  2. Second LL Reservation A guest may apply for a second LL at the earliest of:
    a) Once you tap in (at both tap points, if applicable) at your first attraction
    b) The end time of your return window (excluding the grace period)
    c) The later of:
    • Two hours after you obtain your first LL
    • Two hours after official opening (i.e., not the early entry opening) of the park where the selected LL attraction is located (this may be the park you are hopping to after 2pm).
  3. Additional LL Reservations A guest may apply for a third LL after either of the first two LLs is used, or two hours after they received their 2nd LL (and so forth for a 4th, 5th, 6th LL reservation)

LL #1: Rule 4
LL #2: Rule 5c(ii)
LL #3: Rule 5c(i)
LL #4: Rule 5c(i) (Including Tom Bricker tip to wait 2 hours before tapping in, even if return window is open earlier, if a borderline case)
LL #5-7: Rule 5a
LL #8: Rule 5b
LL #9+: Rule 5a

Let me know if I made any errors - I pulled this together (relatively) quickly so I may have missed something.

23 Likes