The Genie Thread! All WDW Info Here

Wait times are so low right now. Trying not to put too much stock in them for our trip in November.

2 Likes

Yes, the crowds (and wait times) will likely pick up in October and continue through November. I don’t think September can give you any insight into November crowds.

4 Likes

Will keep checking back in with Thrill Data after Oct 1. Also interested to see if the MK Mickey greet G+ continues to be a hot commodity. It’s shot to the top of the priority list since adding Minnie.

4 Likes

Assuming you are going the first 2-3 weeks of November and not the week of Thanksgiving, crowds should be reasonable, though not as low as they are now.

3 Likes

Yeah josh D’Amaro said hotel bookings were very strong for the remainder of the year…this is just a seasonal lull and probably the only real slow time of the year at WDW

6 Likes

Yes, 2nd week of November, so I’m guessing it will be lower than summer crowds but higher than what’s happening now.
Or is summer less busy now that everyone has finally figured out it’s too hot?

2 Likes

I mean, really. This. It was a maxpass feature, but apparently they must have put a different team on Genie+ instead of a group of people who had developed a tool that people actually liked to use.

4 Likes

I find Thrill Data unreadable on my phone. But on a computer :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

Recent data is hard to rely on because of Covid impacts, but I just looked at the last 12 months and generally CLs followed the following pattern:

September 2021: 1/2
2nd week of November 2021: 3/4
July 2022: 5-7
September 2022 so far: 2-5

September 2021 was right before the 50th celebration started on October 1st, so the extra low crowds last year may have been people holding off for that.

I would expect November will be a tad busier than this month, but not as bad as July. And sure enough, the Crowd Calendar is forecasting 4-6 with a stray 7. Seems about right.

3 Likes

Interestingly, the trends from a lot of dates in the last couple of weeks are tracking closely with 2018, and more and more 2019 is sticking out as an anomaly, which I think has got to be related to the MNSSHP season pass debacle.

4 Likes

Question about modifying a G+ reservation.

Let’s say I book a SDD for 2:00 pm at 9 am (whether that is reasonable or not, this is just an example). But in reality we want an SDD reservation at 6 pm. Now, at 11 am I can book another LL… let’s say for ToT at 7 pm. Now, SDD becomes available for 5:00 at 11:30. Can I modify my 2 pm LL to the 5 pm slot right away? And if so, does it restart the 2 hour timer, or can I still book another at 1 pm?

Just trying to understand the usefulness of modifying if you don’t plan to be in the park until later in the day.

3 Likes

A couple of things:

1. you can only modify your most recent LL (unless you are eligible for a new LL at the moment)
  2. You can cancel a LL that is not your most recent, but you can only get a new one when your existing 2-hour window is up based on the latest LL you booked (or when you use / cancel that LL)
  3. Rebooking always restarts your 2-hour timer

In your example, if you REALLY wanted to rebook SDD, you’d have to cancel your existing SDD LL, then cancel your ToT LL, then book SDD at the drop. NOT a good idea in most cases.

So if you’re going to be using the drops, you need to be more strategic about it. For example:

• Book ToT as your first LL at 7am
  • Don’t book anything at 11am
  • Book SDD at the 11:30am drop
  • Book a third LL at 1:30pm

(Again, these are fake drop times for Ryan’s example. Don’t rely on this exact timing.)

4 Likes

Okay. Then it sounds like modifying isn’t a useful tool for this use case. Thanks for laying it out for me!

4 Likes

@ryan1 One caveat, the drops generate almost immediate return times (usually +13 minutes from the drop time and cycle through times spanning 1.5 to 2 hrs) so if you truly want 6 PM I wouldn’t use the drops.

In Jeff’s faux example, the 11:30 drop would have times available from 11:43 to 1:13 or 1:43 before returning to the original later return time.

But you were asking about rebooking, so you might not even care about the drops……

3 Likes

Ultimately, I just want to get return times (starting with SDD) starting at 5 pm. We don’t plan to be in any park earlier than that (although, we have some flexibility). So the drops aren’t necessarily helpful.

I have to study up on the heatmaps I guess…although using September as an indication of the first week in December won’t be helpful.

Getting something at 7 am probably won’t be helpful since return times will be earlier in the day. So I will have to wait and keep watch on return times for SDD. Once it hits something after 5, I can snag something…and then 2 hours later try to snag something else in that window, etc.

(Originally we had no plans to use G+ because we just intended to get an ILLS for SDD…but since SDD is G+ now, we have to recalculate.)

3 Likes

Hopefully, something will progress to 5 PM before park opening. It doesn’t matter if you book your first LL at 7 AM, 8 AM or right before park opening, you still get to book your next 2 hrs after park open. I think people forget that in the 7 AM mad scramble.

4 Likes

In your situation, the 90 minute grace period would be very useful. So, watch for reports that it is still in effect closer to December.

6 Likes

Modifying is free and clear up until park open, so keep that in mind too. There is no 2 hour reset during that time, because it hasn’t started yet. A lot can happen between 7-8:30 especially with SDD.

During the day, I mostly used modifying when it was to bring a LL window closer to the current time. That reset the window, but we were then using the LL before the 2 hours was up and it didn’t matter.

8 Likes

My park days in Decmeber were similar to this. You do have to do more monitoring during resort time, but I was able to stack easily (with AK being the toughest because times advanced slowly).

The heat maps will be your friend, but so will refreshing through BG1. The times jump all over the place, and it is just as valid to do this to grab a later time rather than an earlier time.

I also completely agree about pre park opening. A lot can happen in that time and any modifying doesn’t reset your wait time.

5 Likes

Also, may I ask when you are going?

3 Likes