The Genie Thread! All WDW Info Here

It’s just that the times go so fast at 7AM, we felt we had a better chance of getting times we wanted at 7:17.

We were generally looking for morning times for LL’s. The one day we were going to MK late in the day, we had to wait quite a while for later times to show up. Remember, LL’s only show the next available time slot. The exception is if you are hopping and you are looking for a LL in the park that you are hopping to. Then you will only see times after 2PM.

5 Likes

You didn’t miss a thing Jeff.

I was just adding a plot twist because some days, heck I might actually sleep in.

6 Likes

Technical question, in the Disney app, I can choose which experiences I’m interested in and it will surface them to the top of the tip board, but it only does that for MK. Can I do that for the other parks? How?

2 Likes

I couldn’t figure out a way to do that. It only let me pick one park per day for Genie tips. But maybe someone else has figured it out.

2 Likes

We’re you able to do it for the other parks (just one per day)? I don’t even see the option for other parks, I only get the button when I’m on the MK tip board.

2 Likes

My experience was this (before my trip). You have to have APR’s set up for future dates in the App. You “Change Day” to those dates, and make your top picks for each park and save your selections. Then you go back to the Tip Board (for the current day). Now you can change your park, and the system will give you the option of editing your selections. (In other words, as another liner pointed out to me, you can’t edit selections until you make selections.)

5 Likes

Like @poohfanclub, I always set up Genie at least a day in advance for the park that I was headed to first. I think there’s a link on the main app page that lets you set up Genie. Just click that, select the date and park, etc.

5 Likes

Yes, this worked. I set up genie for each park-day and I was able to get the edit selections for all parks now:). Thank you

5 Likes

You’re welcome! That was driving me crazy in February and I made many frustrated posts here on the forum until I finally figured it out! :laughing:

6 Likes

Today, due to the cluttered Genie interface - missed a Slinky Dog LL … totally forgot that it was at 11, of course they don’t notify you, and it’s lost in the mess of all the other stuff they have on the Genie+ page…plus I’m tired after doing 5K last night and less than 6 hours sleep :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Apologies if this was already answered.
I am on Mobile app. Could have sworn recently I had seen on my app that already had Genie+ for upcoming visit. Now I cant find any reference to + and no way to purchase it in the app. Any advice?

3 Likes

Do you have an AP, single-day, or multi-day ticket?

If AP, you can’t buy in advance and must purchase on the day(s) of our visit (starting at midnight any time throughout the day, recommended before 7am).

If multi-day ticket, you can add to the duration of your visit if you don’t already have it. It’s probably easier to do this through the website. Or call Disney if you’re not sure how to do it.

You can check to see if you already have Genie+ on your tickets by going to your confirmation email and seeing if it says “Genie+” as being purchased. If you already have it, you will be able to use it at 7am the day of your trip.

3 Likes

I am also pretty sure that on MDE (website version), if you click on “My Plans”, then “Tickets and Memory Maker”, it will show in the details if Genie+ is attached to your tickets?

4 Likes

So, yesterday was not a complete fail. We had not used an LL since we forgot about the SDD one, it was still showing as “Booked” on the Tip Board. So when we went back in the evening, we nicely asked if there was anything we could do (citing the lack of sleep & Genie clutter) …and she scanned us in, we were 6 hours late so it went blue, they kindly let the 2 of us in. Then we used a stockpile of LL’s for ASS, TSMM, RC, ToT.

7 Likes

Rule of thumb: offsite guests and resort guests are identical for G+ purposes. Only for $ILL rides is there a difference.

4 Likes

Tip: you can afford to sleep in a bit as long as:

• you book prior to park open
  • you’re ok with later return times
  • you’re not trying for a ride that sells out quickly eg (SDD)

Say you want ToT at DHS but you’re not too keen at getting up at 7 bc you were out late the night before. Set your alarm for 815, ToT should still be available for a return time late in the day. As long as you book prior to 830 (park open) you can still book your 2nd G+ LL at 1030 (park open+2).

G+ is criticized for “forcing you to wake up at 7” but this is not actually true if you follow the above.

4 Likes

“PH early park throwaway booking” idea. Suppose you start at AK and want to build a stack for later at MK.

7AM: book Dinosaur for ~7:30AM return time. Should be easy to get, very little competition.
~7:30AM: tap in to Dinosaur and book JC for ~7PM.
9:30AM: book your 2nd MK LL 1.5 hours ahead of the masses booking at 11AM (MK park open 9AM+2).
11:30AM, 1:30PM, etc. Repeat and you are always 1.5 hours ahead of the MK curve.

Do you think this will work? I’m told there was a similar concept under FP+ where people would book “throwaway” morning bookings, tap and sometimes not even ride in order to start accessing the day-of pool quickly.

3 Likes

This would work. However, I would book your first LL for something you will actually use at AK. You can get morning return times at the 7:11 drop. You might not get the full 1.5 hours head start you want, but IMO it’s better not to waste that first LL.

Edit: per below, it appears this would not work.

3 Likes

Someone in chat recently tried that strategy, but it didn’t work. Your JC LL would start the clock based off Mk opening time.

3 Likes

Do you know if they actually tapped in to a ride in their 1st park? Thought that tapping in trumps the 120 minute rule.

3 Likes