The Genie Thread! All WDW Info Here - FOR TRIPS THRU JULY 23, 2024

No. 1 Genie+ is per person. In recent years, all people in the group going to a meet & greet had to have the FPP for it (or do standby). When M&G resume, I expect each person will need their own G+ LL, if they’re not doing standby.

4 Likes

Please tell me if I’m reading this wrong, when I click on the link and look at the Thrill Data website, it looks like starting at 7:10am the earliest return time was 2:10pm? Is that correct? Are they just not releasing ILL’s for the morning hours?

2 Likes

I have a bad feeling that in a few weeks we will revert to smashing the button to pay 15/rider to get on ROTR with milliseconds to spare…at least for offsite.

5 Likes

Awesome! We were planning on MK/hop to DHS first day. I’m not sold on LL needed at MK, especially in the morning, but I’ll stack my DHS LL reservations and be golden! Love this intel. Awesome.

3 Likes

Return times are released starting at 7am, so there are 10 minutes during which Thrill Data did not get a reading. During that 10 minutes, all morning return times up to 2:10pm were distributed.

1 Like

Wow those first ten minutes must be crazy! I will make sure to set my alarm for the day we want to book that! Thank you for the clarification.

1 Like

Only offering up 25% of the attractions you selected is just mind blowing. It sounds more like a magic 8 ball than anything customized.

I am just wondering if that happened during their testing and if so, how it got the green light. Unless Genie was the nifty packaging for the paid options? Which is disappointing as I was hoping it would be somewhat useful.

It is pretty to look at

2 Likes

Yeah so do this for every park??? Day One MK morning do the short line stuff while building LL for HS later in day. Day Two HS short line stuff in morning while building LL re MK for later in day. etc; etc;???

2 Likes

It’s there to use, homie.

And thanks for taking on this headache. Ain’t no way I would wanna do it.

4 Likes

Now that free genie is going to manipulate what used to be a predictable crowd flow through the park, I think it would make sense for the lines app to learn the genie’s behavior and optimize liners away from the genie crowds.

1. Is this something the touring plans team is planning for?

2. Or is this already covered by looking at other variables like posted/actual wait times?

Although you could use the second option, it would be a lagging variable. This is typically what happens when we see a particular wait time when we optimize, but then see a different wait time when we arrive at the attraction.

2 Likes

Tip 3 for ILL was valid fir day one and two, hut changed on day 3.

No additional ILL was dropped for offsite guests for RotR. All ILL were made available at 7am and were gone within seconds after 9am.

See post below:

3 Likes

The problem is that Disney will vary their advice based on conditions and likely won’t give the same advice at the same time to a significant number of people. So it’s hard to adjust for that. Actually it’s probably unnecessary, cause it will make the slightest dent in the wait times at any given attraction.

So that’s where the second bullet comes in - if there is a significant impact somewhere, and that impact is systematic (happens around the same time every day), it will be picked up in wait times.

3 Likes

But no you cannot plan like this because Genie+ grabs the next available so nothing like FP+ planning

1 Like

This is really great data, thanks for posting. It also answers a key question for us - we tend to come for a couple of weeks, and then only do the parks in the morning (EE, FP+ as was) and then spend the afternoon at the pool / Springs. It’s more relaxing.

On those charts, if we bought Genie we’d basically get one ride a day out of it, because by the time we could rebook at 11am (or whatever 2hrs after park opening is), all the slots are in the afternoon. Maybe some minor rides would be possible I suppose.

Is that your reading?

2 Likes

That is something that is often debated. I think DIsney has always said rider swap is to allow both parents to ride when one has to wait with a little one, without both having to wait in standby.

The “bonus” of 2 extra riders allowed parents with 1 or 2 kids to ride with both parents. This has now been cut to 1 extra rider, so that strategy only works if you have just one child riding.

I think it’s fair enough, but it will mean people have to rethink how they do it now.

3 Likes

Yes.

You could think about mixing in some days where you relax in the mornings and then do the parks in the evening. That way you could use Genie+ and stack some passes ready for the evening, and use the lower standby waits to fit in the extra rides.

4 Likes

@len, I couldn’t agree more.

When I saw the blog post about the Genie vs TP test, I couldn’t fathom why in the world Genie wasn’t just saying “get in line for Pirates, because it’s the shortest line right now”.

I don’t think Genie is able to plan ahead of “what can they do right now”. But even then, they’re ignoring the fact that people have told them what they want to do.

As you say, how in the world did no one say during testing “hang on, it hasn’t given me a single thing I asked for”. It makes me wonder if they have hard coded a wait time limit, above which they redirect you to something with a lower wait time. That would be fine for one or two extra rides in the day, as long as you got to do most of what you asked for. Did they just test when the crowds were so low that the scenario never happened that all the wait times were “too high”?

It’s a head scratcher. But one that shows that Touring Plans has nothing to fear from Genie. Even with some major tweaks, they seem to be so far off target as to be no use at all.

6 Likes

The thrill data charts are so cool. Do you think that on the G+ rides showing the sudden drops (at about the same times for each) are when Disney is releasing more passes into the system? If so, that super useful intel. It’s like knowing the FoP mid day drop times.

I think knowledge and comfort using the system is going to be key to making it work. Yesterday I watched a video with PCDev where he went to HS-MK-AK and ended up with a migraine and voiced a long rant at the end of the video about how hard it was to use and disappointing. Then I read through Molly’s IG stories and on the same day she did every LL attraction at HS and left feeling like a super star. She had a plan, and did her fiddle fiddle thing.

6 Likes

I have heard this repeatedly as well. It’s a bit insane. There’s clearly some coding missing to tell the thing to include these items vs tell the person to go to the thing with the shortest wait and ignore the requests.

5 Likes

This.

It was never about the free thing. The free thing was the hook.

7 Likes