The Genie Thread! All DLR Info Here

Thanks for this! My take away from this and other threads is that in the morning we should enter both parks via the Esplanade. But later in the day we use the DCA dedicated entrance. And if we are going to or coming from tomorrow land, we take the monorail.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s about right.

2 Likes

I see DLR raised their daily price for G+ to $25. It had been $20. People wonder if WDW will also raise theirs. Blogmickey had an article.

3 Likes

Thanks - Iā€™ll update the lead post. The blog post below has some good details on the price increases for Disneyland (MiceChat is a great blog for DLR-specific info, btw).

4 Likes

We are a party of 7. We absolutely cannot do any LL. But we are on the fence about Genie+. It sounds like people are waiting just as long as standby with their attraction reservations. We are visiting DL on a 6 crowd level day. Should we spend the extra 175 bucks? Will it really save us the time as fast pass did?

2 Likes

It will save you every bit as much time at Disneyland as MaxPass did, if you have experience with that. It works really well, especially if you are hopping. Also, if you are only going to be at the resort one day, itā€™s pretty much essential.

If you are doing one park per day, are staying multiple days, or if you donā€™t feel like you need to ride everything, you can get away with not having Genie+ and still have a good time. It really depends on how much the time saved is worth to you. (Iā€™d say about 3 hours of waiting in line per day would not be an exaggeration, but I havenā€™t done the math lately.)

3 Likes

It saves so much time. I am really happy with Genie+. I was a bit skeptical, but it was easy to organize our passes, plan what is next and make changes to our schedule based on our needs.

3 Likes

It really depends. When the lines are long or the ride just broke down, the lightning lane wait times is a good chunk, but never even close to more than, the standard wait time (unless itā€™s Indy). For the most part, LLs will get you from the gate to on the ride in about 5 minutes.

The big selling point of a virtual queue is that you get to do other things while holding the position. So your party can book Haunted Mansion in 3 hours, and then eat and maybe do standby for Big Thunder or Splash while you wait. If thatā€™s not something you want to do, then Iā€™m not entirely sure Genie+ is necessary. If it is, then I say go for it, especially if itā€™s a one-day trip.

3 Likes

Just saw in Twitter that Genie+ sold out in DL yesterday?

https://twitter.com/scottgustin/status/1608091048135331843?s=46&t=lqsUZr4XrdlTC_2Wh1gwyA

3 Likes

I guess if it was going to ever sell out it would be this week. Letā€™s hope thatā€™s the only timeā€¦

3 Likes

Can someone please confirm that Genie + LL at Disneyland still requires you enter park before making your first reservation? At WDW you could make your first reservation at 7am. Is there any way around this if you are park hotel guest?

2 Likes

And with Park Hopper, are you required to buy G+ for both parks at $50 or is there an option to buy G+ for just one park

2 Likes

Correct. There is no way around this other than tapping in and out real quick through the DCA entrance from GCH. Once you have tapped into either park, you can make a reservation in either or both.

The bright side is that the return times donā€™t start advancing quickly for a couple of hours in the morning thanks to the need to tap in. However if you are arriving late in the day, youā€™re out of luck.

3 Likes

Genie+ is a flat price for one or both parks. The price varies day to day, but you only buy once per day.

And for DLR you can still buy in advance for length of stay when you buy your ticket (or by upgrading existing non-Genie+ tickets ā€” you may have to call to do this). This is different from WDW where you cannot buy in advance but must purchase one day at a time on the day of.

1 Like

With a Park Hopper ticket, do all the G+ stacking rules still apply across both parks?

2 Likes

Keep thinking of Qs - how early can you buy ILLs? Do you have to be in the park to purchase an ILL?

2 Likes

Yes, the only rule that is different when crossing parks is that you will automatically be forced to a return window past 1pm for the park you are hopping to. (Different from WDW where you actually have to wait till return times advance naturally past 2pm.) Otherwise both parks are really like one big park as far as the LL rules are concerned.

2 Likes

As soon as you enter either park, you can buy an ILL for either or both parks. (Same timing as Genie+.)

2 Likes

Is there a table, page or video that summarizes the key differences between DLR and WDW, regarding G+ and ADRs? Iā€™m so overwhelmed.

2 Likes

I think I read somewhere that if you take the monorail you are technically in the park and can book LLā€™s, is this not true?

2 Likes