The Disney Refugee's Farewell Tour

Did you say anywhere what you thought about this ride?

I appreciate the commentary, and, based on what you said, I won’t prioritize this event unless I become independently wealthy and can live near the parks.

Oh, out of all that you said, this is the point that hit home the most:

1 Like

I’ll give you my thoughts on the ride. It was fun, I enjoyed it, I would put in for the lottery again if I had the opportunity but I don’t feel like I’m missing out on an essential park experience if I don’t ride it again like I am when Hagrid’s is down for my next trip (that one really hurts).

My niece, on the other hand, who loves all things coaster and whatnot, said it was way too shaky and felt like she was flung around a lot, can’t believe a little kid would enjoy it and will never ride it again.

2 Likes

My DD6 is 50 inches. We have a tiny, rapidly closing window in which I could ride this :rofl: I say rapidly closing because she…just…keeps…growing…taller.

I might, though, allow my older DDs to be her plus one. I’m not sure it’s a huge must do for me.

Is it on the Express Pass list?

I don’t believe it is

1 Like

I think you’re right about that.

We were going to ride with DD15 when she was young, but the wait time was prohibitive (we would probably have had express passes then too).

I did! However, in all my excitement I was juggling multiple conversations about it and OIM on the forums.

I don’t mind repeating myself. I LOVE IT! Wow! It was sooo much fun. It sways way more and goes faster than you’d expect!! It lived up to my hopes. I really want to ride it again some day. I don’t know how though. (I’m not gambling on another lottery ticket!!)

100% true. A lot of the appeal for me was that it was the ONLY thing at UOR I’d never been on or experienced. If adults could ride solo, I’d do it if I walked past and the wait was under 30 minutes. The same as I feel for Hippogriff. I’ll ride it at EPA with little to no wait. I’m not waiting 45 - 60 minutes for it!!

I can confirm that it isn’t available with UXP

3 Likes

Wow that is way more that I would pay to ride. I’d top out at 25, but I’m also cheap.

2 Likes

IMHO - You have to price it high enough to deter people - like they do with UXP.

Taylor “claims” only a few hundred people can ride it. If it’s $50 - $100, then only the people who are genuinely serious about wanting to ride it will purchase and keep rest away.

Now that I’ve ridden it once, I’d probably pay at around $50 to do it again with no wait. I’d still consider paying $100 if that was the only way to get one for my DD21 though. She’d love it and I’d want her to try it.

2 Likes

The only self-imposed “homework” TR to do is finishing SeaWorld. As previously mentioned, I’m going to do that in a separate thread where it can be easily found & referenced.

I might copy & past my OIM thoughts in an OIM thread as well for others to find.

Know what that means?? I’m done with Trip Reporting…for now!

Sincerely, I am so grateful to have been able to go 6 times this year. I know exactly what it’s like to have an Orlando trip countdown that’s over 1,000 days for a single week vacation! On the way to work today, I was thinking about how I could’ve spent that money on more practical things. I admit, I didn’t think I’d spent quite that much! I probably should’ve reigned myself in a bit.

However, 2020 - 2021 taught me some hard lessons. Life really is short and I think we only get to do it once. It’s great to save, but you gotta spend it sometimes. I know too many people who are no longer alive and others that just seem to be going through the motions & waiting to die. You have to LIVE your life every once in a while. I’ve stressed repeatedly that this was never going to be a lifestyle and it had an end. (I stretched it out as long as I feasibly could though!)

I know this is a group of enablers. Please, don’t spend the money that you can’t afford. However, if you can every once in a while do something just for you. I’m very appreciative that my wife loves, respects and trusts me to do a lot of this solo. Too many people have to ask “permission” from their partners to do activities. (Not even about the money. It’s “are you gonna be mad if I go here?” type of permission)

Do your research, even if you think you are a pro! You can always learn more. Until Epic opens or something happens, I’m ONE of the “Universal Experts” here. I’ve, literally, done it all & eaten most of it!! Ask anyone a question. There’s no such thing as a dumb question. It’s the questions that you don’t ask that will make you look / feel dumb later!!

Also, be critical of all the vloggers! Remember, they make their careers by recommending these places. How often would people watch if every vlog was, “Yep! This place sucks. You shouldn’t go. Why are you bothering to watch this?? We’ve told you all this sucks!!”

When they tell you a food item or experience is sooooo goooood or “must-do”, ask yourself “Who paid for it?” Also, “Did they stand in a food booth queue like a traditional guest or did Universal custom make this food fresh just for the vlogger to show on YT?”

"Is this a vlogger funded by a Pateron or YT “Super Chat”? Is this a professional vlog/blog with a company credit card? (Touring Plans… I’m looking at you! It was so hard not to jump on their Mardi Gras food blog!!) Or did they get invited out by the parks themselves for free & want to make sure they stay on the invite list

It’s easy to try things when you aren’t buying them. I’ll even hear some of the pros say, “This was free, but I’d definitely buy it next time!” That’s great, but you got to find that out with no risk!

It’s even easier when it’s free & a chef brings it to you at a table! (Orlando Informer! :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:)

Wow! I can’t even stop ranting when I’m trying to say goodbye!

I really want to thank everyone that has been with me on this year of AP fun. You are my friends. We just haven’t met in person yet! I’m a big believer in, “A stranger is a friend you haven’t met yet!” and the idea that most people are genuinely good if you allow them to be.

If you’ve been reading this “Disney Refugee” series and you like what you’ve read and think you’d like me - Don’t fret, I already like you!

I’m going to list a handful of names of people that were with me all year that I want to give a special bit of gratitude towards. If I don’t list you, please, understand it’s only a small oversight. I just missed it somehow!!

@bebe80 @Jeff_AZ @Shmebulock @FindMeAFishingSpot @magical_jo @motherofdaughtersthree @mathhound

You may not realize it, but my trips were better because you were there with me! I can enjoy a theme park all day & night solo. However, it’s a million times better when you have someone to share it with! THANK YOU for being there for me this year. There were some real frustrating moments, disappointments and anxiety at times. All of you were there not only to enjoy the fun moments, but to help me too! You kept me calm when I could’ve freaked out at times! Also, I got to ramble on about the nuances of theme park rides, operations, food & etc… with people who genuinely cared about what I have to say!! That means the world to me!! :blue_heart: :yellow_heart: :blue_heart: :yellow_heart: :blue_heart:

Don’t worry. I’m not leaving the forums. I just have to hang up my Ravenclaw Robe for a little while and let y’all all go out and have fun now!! I can’t wait to read your Trip Reports!!!

Now, “Go let yourself whoa!” :wink:

— Larry

13 Likes

Thanks for sharing your trip(s) with us! Your enthusiasm for Universal is contagious and helps me enjoy my trips there more. I hope there will be more trip reports sooner rather than later!

Totally agree! Be prudent but don’t defer living too long.

5 Likes

An awesome finale for an awesome string of trips! Thanks for posting your trip reports and for all of your tips and reviews. I only wish I would have said Hi when I saw you on one of DH & my trips. Next time for sure :grin:

3 Likes

:yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart::yellow_heart:

I’m not sad it’s over. I’m glad it happened :smiley::ok_hand:t3:
(Although I am a tiny bit sad :laughing:).

It’s been an absolute highlight of my forum time following along on your trips @darkmite2.
It was lovely to virtually meet DD and DW too.
Thank you to them too, for supporting your solo touring that allowed you time to bring us along!

Good luck with your side hustle earnings so that you can get back for Epic Universe… :+1:t2::four_leaf_clover:

5 Likes

I feel so honored to be named :heart_eyes:. I hope we meet in the parks someday!!

3 Likes

It was really nice to see you live and in person and it was also really nice to see so much activity under the UOR side of Forums!

4 Likes

I won’t be surprised to see more “Disney Refugees” in the next 3 years. I think we’ll be answering a lot of questions from people bursting out of their bubbles before you know it!!

3 Likes

You’re very welcome, it’s a win-win for both parties! Thank you for the expert details about Universal!

3 Likes

Here’s a small "P.S. - " to my wrap up…

P.S. - Touring Plans really needs to step up their work in regards to accuracy of wait times, show times and their Universal Orlando App in general! Do not rely on it for accurate show or parade times. Really…as it is… I can’t even recommend using it in the parks.

On a personal gripe, don’t forget that Touring Plans does not pay you to submit your times & such. They don’t even offer a renewal discount if you submit “X” number of waits or something. Once I figured out that I was basically an unpaid worker, I stopped doing it. I don’t need a “virtual badge” in lieu of payment. Especially from a guy who asks you send in your surveys to him because, “You don’t owe a business (Universal or Disney) any loyalty when they aren’t paying you.” That’s a paraphrase direct from an episode of DisneyDish when Len is soliciting people to submit their surveys.

If you provide wait times & surveys…That’s cool. :smiley: I’m not hating on you. However, I prefer to get paid for efforts - especially when he’s not giving the app away and making a great living off of volunteers.

For inside the parks, use the Universal App exclusively. It’s very user-friendly once you play with it a bit. (I’m happy to give tutorials!!)

I still like to plan out my days on my PC with the TP trip planning / wait time tool before my trip. It is good for giving you an outline of what you can probably accomplish before you leave home.

8 Likes

We’ll all squeeze onto the VooDoo doughnut throne for a picture! :rofl:

3 Likes

The plan as of today is to do something solo in April. Probably going to visit old Six Flags friends and go to the parks there. I have told my family that I am going to Dollywood in the fall. I’ve invited them all with me and I hope they go! (DD is on her own now & DW may have to be enticed somehow) You know I’m going no matter what!!

I’ll definitely do a Dollywood TR as I know there is already interest!

4 Likes

Sounds perfect :joy:

1 Like