The Disney Dish Thread

Please clarify for me - how many sleeps does this include?

1 Like

Its two nights, not two days. Maybe it was a typo.

2 Likes

Thank you.

I have based it on current per-night fares for actual cruises right now.

I just don’t think they are going to offer anything that will be nearly worth what they are charging

2 Likes

Yes sorry I should have written 2-night. It’s really 1.5 days. Just the regular experience.

Oh man.

2 nights 1.5 days?

I was thinking 2 nights/3 days

Oy.

I haven’t followed this closely since they came out with pricing. Because yeah, no.

3 Likes

That makes sense. I was actually basing it on hotel rates in the lowest category at a Deluxe for 2 nights, then 100 pp for the entry tickets into HS and then food/entertainment.
Your methodology is also sound as they ARE billing it as a land cruise after all.

3 Likes

Yeah it’s a very brief experience. You arrive between 1-4pm on the first day, have an evening meal and entertainment, sleep, then have a full day with a trip to Batuu, three meals, and entertainment, sleep, and then leave right after breakfast on the third day.

1 Like

That time schedule is very much in line with a typical cruise schedule.

1 Like

I did another poll on the same subject last year and in one of the posts I did a calculation of the value of the elements of the experience. I came up with ~$4,000. You could quibble with the entertainment value - that’s the one piece I think remains to be seen.

1 Like

I think that the big issue is that what we’ve seen so far of the theming is less than what we’d been primed to expect. So while i get where your initial numbers came from, i think in recent light of things it may be overestimated.

They thought it was going to be so popular that they could charge whatever they wanted to make it exclusive and price out the riff raff.
I’m not sure that’s the way its actually going to pan out.

8 Likes

I’ve been more interested in it more recently as we get ready for the initial “sailings.”

I’m anxious for regular people to go. Like they said on Disney dish today the initial reports are gonna be all media people who didn’t pay a penny of their own cash to go

6 Likes

Yeah, and they have a vested interest in not saying anything too negative lest they get blacklisted from the Disney press list.
I’ve been wondering lately if this is going to end up being Chapeks Euro Disney. Even though it was begun under Iger, i suspect that if there are bad reviews it will be due to his cost cutting measures and will be held against him.

ETA: And i won’t be sad about it if it happens.

8 Likes

Interesting. His end could come at the hands of Star Wars fans who feel jilted by a less-than experience.

I like it

7 Likes

For comparison with DCL, the only 2-night cruise (which would be an identical timeframe to this) is a San Diego/Baja route, and the only one on the schedule right now is during Spring Break, and is $3K for a family of 4 (verandah suite). I think that’s overpriced for that particular short cruise, but possibly fair for the Starcruiser.

So with the Disney upcharge already built into both, the extra immersion and the value of the included “excursion” to HS have to be worth the remaining $3K. I’m skeptical the food can match what’s on any Disney Cruise. My guess is this is priced too high, but willing to be proven wrong. If enough people do something that’s priced too high, then it is not priced too high.

3 Likes

Carly Weisel said at one of the media previews the food was amazing and far exceeded her expectations. The question is, will thisnl remain the case when it isn’t for the media?

4 Likes

And this was the one thing that Len and Jim said was cited consistently. The food is really good (but also full of a ton of food coloring so that your body becomes a rainbow factory :nauseated_face: )

The whole thing cannot stand on food alone

5 Likes

I find I am having a hard time calculating as there are 3 of us, and I have never had to do “cruise” math. I am looking at doingnanriver cruise and get son confised by room type and whether prices are per person, per room or what? :joy::disappointed_relieved:

2 Likes

Food coloring is not appetizing. And it definitely cannot stand in food alone.

2 Likes

Generally on a cruise you pay per person double occupancy (so a single usually has a supplement). And then you pay per night, based on the category you select. So inside, outside, veranda, etc. And the higher up you go the higher the price, generally speaking.

When I did my calculation for this vote, I used DCL “from” price (so the lowest price for a given sailing)

4 Likes

So if your state room has a fold out for a 3rd person do they pay the double occupancy price, but for 3 people? Even if those rooms have a premium?

1 Like