The Disney Dish Thread

So it took me a minute to realize you weren’t talking about Kansas. I was like, Um, I think you’ll be disappointed by Kansas. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Lots of Liners featured on Disney Dish this week! @ThorKat and @DisneyDayDreamin … was there a third one I’m missing? I always love it when I “know” the listeners mentioned. :joy:

10 Likes

Thanks for mentioning! I was going to post the same thing but forgot! Also he indirectly mentioned me, because I was the one who mentioned up above :point_up: about not screenshotting the surveys! :joy:

8 Likes

That’s right! I knew it was someone on here.

1 Like

Chicken! :wink:

1 Like

I will do it next time. But to be honest, I was just feeling lazy that day! :rofl:

1 Like

This wasn’t even my first mention :wink: I wasn’t hanging out here the first time Len mentioned me though. And I don’t even remember why, I think I sent in a question.

4 Likes

Yeah honestly I read the scary first screen and thought about it for a second and then said “what the hell!”

2 Likes

I havent listened to this weeks, thanks for the heads up!

3 Likes

Listening to this week’s Dish seems like a complaint session with everything Disney is doing wrong. I know it’s warranted, but it’s a little sad at the same time. Sounds like there is genuine concern for the future, especially because of what Universal is doing.

5 Likes

When they were talking about the lack of any plans for something new … that was really depressing! I hope they get their act together!

4 Likes

Their point that Disney has absolutely nothing in the works after Tron (which has taken FOREVER) while Universal is rapidly building their 3rd gate (sorry, waterparks don’t count) is very concerning for Disney theme park fans.

Since Disney doesn’t really do stealth development/deployment, it seems like nothing except clones (MMRR in DLR) and maybe refreshes (Splash to Tiana, SSE) are coming in the next 3-5 years. Everything else has been scrapped.

Combined with the lack of ride capacity Len has been highlighting - it does seem like the parks will languish for the next decade.

9 Likes

Languish…that’s a word that makes me a little sad when looking at 5+ years. :frowning:

5 Likes

Add in the fact that going to Universal can be cheaper and much easier to navigate. No park reservations, Genie+, park hopping limitations. If you have Express Pass, it is literally a park where you can show up without a phone and just enjoy being there and live in the moment without having your nose in your phone all day. I went with DS14 in May. Going to WDW in late August with DS9 and honestly not looking as forward to it as I have in the past.

Can’t wait for Epic Universe to open!

8 Likes

I just finished listening and noticed the same. Got me thinking about where I’d like to see something be built. I really think AK needs Dinoland gone or redone. It is time to build something new there. I’m not sure what theme.
Also, I agree with the comments about Lack of AC. I noticed this 2 weeks ago. Some ride queues and rides were warm. Star Tours was the worst.

2 Likes

I think they’re right, however I don’t think all the Disney parks need more rides (on the podcast, they recommended 2 per park). I break it down as follows:

• MK is fine. Could always use some refurbs, but it has enough quantity.
  • HS has plenty of headliners, but needs more spinners or high-capacity, quick loading rides. Something to keep kids happy while adults swap.
  • EP probably has enough to do but has a vomit issue. Could use one more ride on WS side, or maybe Coco refurb of GFT would be enough.
  • AK needs at least two more major rides.
4 Likes

I didn’t notice because the last episode of the Dis was the worst complaint fest I have ever heard.

1. The parks are too crowded. And
  2. They should do more for APs and AP should have no limits on park visits. And
  3. They need to reduce prices for one time visitors. And
  4. Everything in the parks is terrible lately.

All of these (except 4 IMO) are true. But can we at least admit that after WDW fixes some capacity issues, they still have a crowd problem and there is no good way to solve it or make everyone happy?

To the themes on both the Dis and the last episode of the Disney Dish, my Facebook feed over spring break was filled with people I know, taking their once in a lifetime trip, having a great time. It was so interesting to see.

As to Universal - I love the idea of Epic Universe but the only thing I can think about is thst I won’t fit on half the rides. And not just the high speed coasters (which I get). So, yeah. There’s that.

6 Likes

I agree with your points about being a disconnect from blogs and Youtubers vs. guests taking trips. Before I went in May, I heard nothing but negativity on social media about Disney. How crowded the parks were, how much it costs, along with “the magic is gone”. Our trip couldn’t have been more enjoyable, glad we didn’t let the negativity effect our time.

Yes, things are expensive. There are a lot of people in the parks but this didn’t stop my family from enjoying ourselves AND we actually found Genie + to be a worthwhile purchase.

We can get caught up in the negatives happening at Disney but I think it’s still a wonderful destination. Here’s hoping Universal puts together a well themed new gate that all can enjoy

4 Likes

Folks frustrated with the negative criticism of the state of Disney: I hope this doesn’t sound flippant because I don’t mean it that way, but I wonder if you realize that you can deeply love a thing and still point out its flaws. And that calling those flaws out is valid. And heck it may be because of your deep love for it that you call it out.

Sure it’s important to give credit where it’s due and it’s not all bad. Not even close. But the things discussed on the Disney Dish and the Dis and all the other outlets we follow are real, and the frustration is valid. You don’t have to pull a Dotty (that’s my mother in law) and make excuses for why it’s not quite right and why it’s okay and why it’s still a perfect thing. The time for excuses is passed, it’s not okay, and it’s not close to perfect. And if we don’t call them on it?? It’s only going to get worse.

17 Likes

Yes. This.

3 Likes