Talk to this deluxe snob about values and mods! EDIT: WE'RE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD!

Ah.

Yeah, no, not a fan of pools. I think I just get bored floating around. And the smell just… ick. Not a fan of that chlorine smell.

I didn’t love POP the one time I stayed there. I like AOA alot, its my favorite value and I’ve never had a bad experience at ASM. I’ve only stayed at one Moderate and that is CBR and I really liked it (except the buses, but they weren’t horrible).

1 Like

Had this at SSR this month. The. Best. Bed. Ever!

Us neither.

Pretty sure I’ve been told by phone CMs that the water parks have bromine, rather than chlorine.
We were checking because bromine is much nicer to colored hair. And one of our group has facial skin problems from the chlorine.

Idk about resort pools tho.

1 Like

The water is a little salty?

1 Like

I think for me it is pools in general. Lol. I don’t mind the ocean - I feel more engaged there. Pools just…meh. I would say it is a solo thing, but I know people who go solo who do pools. IDK. But I am glad they are there for people who like them.

1 Like

Are there bus changes for Swan and Dolphin? Perhaps it’s a current issue I’m unaware of. When we were at Beach Club in February, every bus we took also stopped at S&D – straight from Downtown Disney and Animal Kingdom. I don’t know about Magic Kingdom; we walked through Epcot and took the monorail.

Swan/Dolphin ended their bus contact with Disney recently. They now have their own buses, and they drop off far away with the other off-site hotels.

I don’t know. I didn’t do the water park last year and this year we didn’t plan any pool time.

I’m trying to recall the last time I was in a pool/ water park. I guess it was 2008. I don’t recall salty at all.

1 Like

Major deluxe snob here. Here is what I would explore:

1. DVC! So many folks offloading points right now. I actually like the Disboards site because people post their points and $$ amount
  2. Swolphin - big fan but I saw your previous mot about access
  3. ALK

I have stayed a All Star for one night 1-2x before when I was flying in late and waiting for @BenF12400 to arrive via autotrain and didn’t want to stay in the airport hotel. It was fine for a night but I cannot imagine staying anything past that. We did POR last November for W&D race and it was a nightmare. TG we had a split stay back to YC.

Just throwing out a different idea–cabin at Fort Wilderness. I’ve never stayed in one but am planning to try it during our next trip, whenever that is. I’ve read about challenges with transportation, but that’s something I can accept and plan for. Just a thought for what could be a unique experience.

I actually thought of this because we love the campground.

But the Wilderness Homes - or whatever they’re being called currently - aren’t a substitute for a deluxe.

When I go solo, I spend very little time at my resort; I virtually never swim nor do I any QS meals at the resort. For these trips I have stayed value and it has been perfectly fine. POP is my usual choice for this. If DW comes with me, I rent DVC points (at an obscenely low rate) from a good friend as she frequently will only spend a half day at a park, and then go back to the resort to relax. AKL is my favorite for this. For me, I can’t justify a moderate. The added price doesn’t justify the “perks” that mods have that values don’t. But I have to imagine a family of 4 living together in a value room for a week could be trying…

2 Likes

These cabins would be a good choice for @ninjasherrie if a rental car is in the cards. But given your son’s wheelchair, the internal transport would not be ideal, to say the least. Also, a cabin is more economical if you have 5-7 occupancy.

2 Likes

No, no car.

1 Like

Pop Century- lake view, walking trail around the lake, standard room with said lake view and close proximity to pop lobby/food court as well as Art of Animation. Also the skyliner. We LOVED Pop. If you get a 60’s room close to the lake, totally convenient to grab a bus from pop or AOA whichever has the shortest line.

1 Like

A couple things I’m not sure have been mentioned:

Pools at values do not have a slide, nor is there a hot tub. Moderates have slides.

Value rooms that have been refurbished like Pop have tables that are on the underside of the second bed (the Murphy bed), so if the bed is being used as a bed, you do not have a table. Moderate rooms have a regular table, and two regular beds, so the table is always available.

You mentioned DS is in a wheelchair. CBR does not have elevators, their buildings are all two-stories. It’s the only moderate without elevators. All values have elevators. Since you’ve already chosen a hotel, this is just something to file away for future reference.

2 Likes

Actually, this helped a lot bc MVT offered me a pretty good price on a 5th sleeper room at CBR, which I was mulling over. But I would have to book an accessible room to make sure I was on the first floor. I usually don’t do that bc DS doesn’t use or need most of the features of an accessible room, like roll in showers.

2 Likes

Yes. I know myself too well. I won’t even try to book a mod because even if it was great, I’d find something wrong with it. I have no delusions about this. If we didn’t have to come so far and invest so much time & money in the first place, I might be more forgiving, but as it is I won’t take the chance. The incremental difference in the cost is not huge given the total outlay.

So basically, I have nothing to add to this conversation. :laughing:

5 Likes

My sister and I talk about trips just we two. POP has intrigued me for this sort of visit.
Thanks for your info.