Taking another look at DVC Ownership

Right now you could not hook at Riviera. That’s all. And then anything new that comes up that’s it’s own resort. So as has been mentioned nobody knows if the Poly tower will be part of Poly as is or will be it’s own resort like Copper Creek is separate from boulder ridge.

1 Like

I wish I had bought OKW at that point but I wasn’t 100% sure I would get more points at that time.

2 Likes

Yes, there’s a separate Villas building with studios (proper ones), 1, 2 & 3-bed villas.

2 Likes

People who bought there when they first converted the regular rooms to DVC do, that happened in 2007. Then they built Kidani which opened May 2009.

3 Likes

If I were to pay the current price (direct purchase) for VGF, is there any way to differentiate (when booking) between the new vs the old villas? Are the new 1BR villas different in any way? If the newer ones are nicer (bigger, better laid out), I would hate to be paying that exorbitant price and getting an older villa upon booking. Any thoughts?

There are no new 1 bedrooms. The new building only has studios.

3 Likes

The new studios are called Resort Studios and are all in Big Pine Key building. They’re converted regular rooms and pretty much are just that.

The original studios are Deluxe Studios and are all in the original villas building, along with all the larger villas.

When you book a studio at GFV they are separate booking categories, so you’ll know what you’re getting and where they are.

2 Likes

I think the biggest question you need to answer is how important is staying at Riviera to you? If that’s the only place you want to stay then I would just buy there and I would buy resale to save $. If you can’t imagine staying anywhere but Riviera, just buy there. If you’d like to stay there, but would be happy at any resort, I would buy direct at GF for the discount. If you can’t imagine never being able to stay at Riviera, do not buy anywhere resale.

2 Likes

I have 2 contracts AKL Jambo and there is no difference in booking/priorities/terms

2 Likes

I think the question was whether there are contracts specific to Jambo and specific to Kidani which I thought there was (and there is), even though it is viewed as one resort

3 Likes

I have been told that even if you purchase direct these days at AKL you will not know if your contract will say Jambo or a Kidani until you receive it. Your dashboard will default to one of the two but you can just change to the other if you want to book at 11 months.

5 Likes

Right. The specifics are in fact in the contract but they don’t matter for booking both/either

3 Likes

Disney let a $134/point go through while charging $100 more a point direct? That’s surprising! Glad you got your points!

2 Likes

Oh, I see, the reason I thought there were new 1 BR’s and old 1 BR’s is because the videos of the 1BR Villa look different to me on the DVC website vs. the WDW website. On the DVC website 360 video, it looks more upgraded with a murphy bed, and on the WDW website video (click on “View Photos” to see the video), the furnishings look more old fashioned, with no murphy bed.

I just assumed there were new 1BR Villas and old 1BR Villas. Sorry!

1 Like

Oh! Yes, they “updated” all the original DVC villas.

2 Likes

Thanks! That’s good to know.

I honestly didn’t think I had a prayer based on the previous three months ROFR, but it git through. Someone else bought a resale contract at the same time for $125 @ 240 pts. That was a steal. I think we both got somewhat lucky. Maybe first time buyers have a better chance cuz Disney wants to get you hooked on the product :grin:

4 Likes

No.

Yes.

Yes, sometimes.

Even if buying direct at Riviera gives me a much more attractive incentive than GF? Is there another advantage besides having the 11 month availability window for GF?

Oh I thought direct at VGF was the better price point. Honestly for me the next thing I’d look at was the maintenance fees bc those really add up over years, especially if you’re at a resort with high fees, but rarely stay there. Also when you go to sell eventually (maybe) the VGF will be more valuable bc it can be used at every resort (that currently exists) except for Riviera while the Riviera can only be used at Riviera.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s what I was wondering. Right now, VGF has lower maintenance fees than Riviera. I am not sure whether or not in the long run that outweighs the difference in the incentive to purchase right now. However, I am still unclear if VGF has less restrictions upon resale to a prospective buyer. From all of the replies I’ve received in this thread, it looks like VGF would not have those restrictions, except that the prospective buyer would not be able to book at the Riviera (and possibly any other future new DVC resorts).

1 Like