Taking another look at DVC Ownership

As for passing DVC on to children, you can never split a DVC contract.

We have one contract, so it can be passed on to one of our boys or to both as joint owners. But we can’t give half the points to one and the other half to the second one.

3 Likes

Thanks, I guess that’s why he suggested 2 contracts.

1 Like

Smaller contracts also fetch a premium on resale.

4 Likes

I thought these days they will not split a first contract? Or will they split it if it is 300 or more points?

A couole thought on shifting points required for a stay:

1. The good news is that there are a bunch of lawyers who own DVC who are immediately all over any points chart changes. If Disney does anything that adds more points to the total pool, this group catches it. They forced Disney to make two different revisions withn a five year period of time.

2. Seasonal points can shift. I mostly travel during spring break or Christmas and those points went up with the last points chart changes. You should pad how many points you buy by 10%-20% account for this. You can also buy up to 24 one time use points per year from Disney at $19 a point of needed.

3. A way to hedge against points shifting and your prefered week going higher is to purchase a gaurunteed week. You can pay a 10% premium and be gauranteed a specific Sun to Sun week in a specific size villa at one of the newer resorts. If you always go during a high demand week and want to stay at the same resort - this could be worth it. If you don’t want to go that week you can decline it and use the points for a different week (based on the current points chart).

3 Likes

For a first contract there must be a minimum of 150 points on one. The other can be whatever the minimum add-on is for that resort (25 or 50 currently).

1 Like

Yes, but they will not allow you to split that 150 according to recent reports. If you wanted to split a 1st time contract it would have to be 300 points?

1 Like

I thought I woudl share some of my math. I keep a very ugly spread sheet but it includes: my costs, the actual cost of a stay (Initial cost per point per year + dues per point), how much it would have cost me to pay cash for that stay, and how much it woudl have cost me to take that trip if I didn’t have Disney (I typically would stay at moderates so this is an important number if I am keeping it real).

Date Resort # Bedrooms Where Cost of Stay Rack Rate If no DVC Spend
Jul-22 1BRV/2Poly Studio BRV/Poly $623.06 $1,692 $780 Pop
Christmas 2022 AKL Studio AKL $777.60 $6,000 $2,100.00 PORFQ
Spring Break Hilton Head 2 Bedroom HHI $1,928.85 $3,500 $1,724.00 Mariott - single
Jul-23 Poly Studio Poly $469.00 $1,300 $1,300.00 Poly
Totals $3,798.50 $12,492 $5,904
Cost per night $237.41 $780.75 $369.00

Note - my average cost per night is a little low compared to what it will be in the future, because I had 19 “free” points from when I bought resale (banked from previous year) and I did not pay dues on my first year’s points. So those first 139 points were dirt cheap.

I think this really shows that DVC is a great savings if you like to stay deluxe for cash, a moderate savings if you would otherwise stay at a moderate and a wash - or slightly more expensive - if you would stay at a value. But you are getting a deluxe resort (sometimes a two bedroom) for that price.

Another interesting number - if DVC were to cease to exist after my July trip, each night would have cost me $1,052. So I am not at the “break even” point yet, but two more decent length trips and I will be.

2 Likes

You could have one 150 point contract and one 25 or 50 point contract.

1 Like

Obviously that might not be ideal, but it means you could add on later but still start off with two contracts.

1 Like

I thought it was a minimum of 50 points for add-on contracts (direct) now. Is that not the case? I would be really tempted at 25!

1 Like

I think some resorts are still a minimum of 25, but could be wrong.

1 Like

Copper Creek and later are 50.

1 Like

I should clarify that the question was regarding two equal contracts for two children .

3 Likes

I purchased 200 points and it could only be split 150 (min direct purchase) and 50. We did this for estate planning. Hopefully, we can add another 100 points in the future and balance it out.

3 Likes

Can anyone explain what ROFR is? I’ve seen this mentioned in other DVC threads.

The short answer is ROFR (Right Of First Refusal) is DVC’s chance to pay the seller the agreed upon price to buy back the points instead of the sale going through. So if you find a contract and come to an agreement with the seller to buy 100 points at $160/point, you send that sales contract to DVC for ROFR. They can either waive it and let you buy the points as stated in the contract or they can “take” the points by paying that same amount. The seller still gets $160/pt but you the buyer end up with nothing (but no out of pocket costs either) and must look for another contract.

Sorry, not so short after all :laughing:

2 Likes

Thank you!

And just to add, the point of ROFR is so that people can’t set prices low or underbid, ultimately devaluing the DVC points. It protects Disney, but also protects existing owners who may want to sell points later.

1 Like

Got it! Thanks.