Taking another look at DVC Ownership

Admittedly, we are smitten with the Riviera, although I know it won’t look the same 10 years from now. We love the skyliner, we like the fact that it is a little off the beaten path, but most importantly, the rooms themselves are so thoughtfully designed. So much storage space, nice large bathroom vanities, clean and brightly lit, covered walkways to/from bus service, decent QS and TS restaurants, easy access to CBR walkways. At this point in time, the property is just beautiful. I haven’t gotten as far with the financial analysis yet though to see how much more we would be paying for this preference.

2 Likes

That is a big deal for me. I responded in another thread that the My DVC Points Podcast was talking about the overall per point cost of GFV. They did add “but use those points somewhere else because a resort studio at Christmas at over 50 points a night is crazy”.

I find it interesting that this is being said. It has been that they can change point values between seasons, but the overall points per room type doesn’t change? For example, if you but 200 points to book a 1 bedroom in October, you might not be able to book in October after a change- but you will be able to book at sometime during the year for those points. They tried to move points between room types a few years ago and it didn’t go well.

I never expected when I bought CC that I would be able to use my points for less than five years and sell it for what I paid for it. There is no guarantee but I perceive a value in that and I had no long-term value in booking cash rooms.

When I bought I also talked to my son. I am over 60 and most likely will not see the end of my BWV contract, and CC is definitely going to my son. He is not planning on having children so we talked a long time about if he wanted Disney resorts in his future (I look at it as the resort- not the parks) before we bought but knowing he might only want to go every couple of years in the future has limited how many points I buy.

3 Likes

Thanks! I might have remembered his comments incorrectly, so please don’t quote me here. I really liked this guy because he was informative but has not put any pressure on us. He suggested that if we are looking to pass ownership to our 2 children in the future, we might want to consider 2 contracts with half of the points in each to make it easier at that time. He said we would incur 2 administrative fees though to process the paperwork. I am wondering if the total of the maintenance fees for 2 contracts would be any more than the fees for one? Still looking into this.

Nope.

Maintenance fees are calculated on number of points alone. Whether you have two 75 point contracts or one 150 point contract you’ll pay the same maintenance fee each year

2 Likes

Great thanks!

1 Like

Thoughts:

Bought in 200 points resale at BLT in 2018 for 143 a point if i remember right (BLT for the extra bathroom, low dues, and proximity to MK and mono was a no brainer for us). We use it on lake view 2BR and have done two full weeks since 2019 + couple other little 2 night stays that i wont even count here. The cash price for those weeks avg. about 825 a night (and that might be real low now) so 825x7X2 = 11550. My dues for 200 points are about 1200 a year. So my total investment with closing costs and everything plus a few years of dues is about 36000. I could sell it tomorrow for 173 a point no problem and basically recoup my entire investment. My kids are in college now but we all enjoy it so much for food and wine and the holidays we aren’t selling it ever barring some catastrophic event. Bottom line is, my only regret is not buying in sooner. I would never finance, and i wouldn’t buy direct in this environment unless i had just a real thing for Riviera, which i don’t - but otherwise if you can afford it. Let it rip.

2 Likes

Which should be the official tagline of DVC

3 Likes

So, who IS allowed to book Riviera right now (other than owners who own points in Riviera)?

My understanding is this:
Effective January 19, 2019, Disney Vacation Club Members who do not acquire their real estate interest directly from Disney Vacation Development, Inc. will only be able to make Vacation Point reservations at Disney’s Riviera Resort if it is their Home Resort. All reservations are subject to availability.

2 Likes

I can book Riviera if I want. I bought my points direct w/ Aulani as my home resort.

1 Like

So if you buy resale you are out, unless you are buying resale Riviera.

2 Likes

oh… this is new? So only Riviera ‘owners’ will be allowed to book on DVC points?

1 Like

Direct owners of any resort can book Riviera. as well as resale Riviera owners. But any other resale owners are out. - so with a direct purchase of Aulani, you are good to go.

1 Like
  • Anyone who has a contract for any resort from before 1/19/19, whether direct or resale

• Anyone from that date forward who bought any resort direct

• Anyone after that date who bought Riviera Resale (and they cannot book anywhere else)

(did i miss anyone?)

3 Likes

Nailed it.

…i think.

2 Likes

this is the key

any time after 1/19/19 yes

No, you’re getting very confused (which makes sense because it’s confusing)

You can always book anywhere because your points are direct. You have to wait for 7 mos if not booking at Aulani

2 Likes

when it comes to DVC I live in a confused state :tired_face: BUT you helped explain it to me :blush: Thank you!

I did know this part… some of it I understand :laughing:

2 Likes

This is what I have suggested to my family, funny they all thought I was nuts buying in but they have joined us now on a few trips and have been asking a lot of questions.

Buying 2 smallest direct contracts so that the total is the minimum for “blue” card perks…anything after that adding on resale…

Buying with the intent to pass on is great in theory but I also don’t like the idea of saddling kids with maintenance fees. My kids are in their twenties- and just starting out- if something happened to me tomorrow they are not yet in a position to handle some of our bigger timeshares. That said the little minimum direct contract they should be affordable enough for them to deal with if they choose to keep it. It’s not much but will get them a couple nights in a studio @okw every year and still be cheaper in dues than a hotel room

4 Likes

If Disney goes bust I’m not sure if that would also mean that DVC also goes bust. But if they sold the theme parks you would own a timeshare with no access to the parks.

2 Likes

You would be eligible for any Disney discounts on the room or dining plan, which as an owner you will never qualify for.

And it would be possible for Disney to introduce perks that apply to Deluxe guests but not to DVC owners. In which case if you book through Disney you would be eligible for those perks. So far they have included all DVC resort guests in those perks.

2 Likes