Take 4–Dreamer and son attempt Universal and Disney (and a trip report)

That would have been fabulous!!:rofl:

2 Likes

Very cool. Love the magical photos!

1 Like

Really so wonderful you had great times at both
I loved being able to see your fun as you went – thanks for taking the time to share!

3 Likes

I felt safer at Disney but did like Universal making people use hand sanitizer though theirs was stickier and smellier than Disney’s (and my own). However, it made me wonder if universal was cleaning the rides less often because I don’t remember 10-15 min line stalls so maybe they think the hand sanitizer compensates but I’m not sure since we did have express pass. I personally think Disney is doing more to create a safe environment because no gators or single layer masks, I can tell they are regularly cleaning rides by line stalls, they have cast members all over the place correcting people wearing their masks inappropriately and not social distancing. Both parks social distancing is not ideal though in passageways during peak attendance hours and made me uncomfortable and in lines there are lots of people who don’t care or aren’t paying attention to proper distancing markers or their kids. However, people were always respectful when I requested they create space in both sets parks in lines. In walkways and stores I just accepted I’d bump into people and hope the short interaction, masks, temp checks would keep us safe. I was always able to get a table outside and we ate every meal outside except the Mac n Cheese and Cake Pop at Epcot food and wine so having those options available was nice and was my highest area of concern since it was the most prolonged period of time without a mask we’d have.
What’s funny is that as I age the rides at Universal kick my butt like RRR and Hulk both made my vision gray out due to the Gs (I do have low blood pressure) and RRR gives me a headache. I get tired of all the virtual rides too that they overdo in my opinion but nothing beats Harry Potter and Hagrids is in the running for best Orlando ride. But overall I’m still a Disney over Universal woman. I prefer the visual magic to the thrills and it’s more suitable across the ages. Your son’s conclusion is accurate but Disney is upping the tech. I think RotR is amazing in really creating a story and jaw dropping visuals and MMRR is a great dark ride. FoP is also a stunning ride. And none of these rides make me sick! Ha ha.

4 Likes

Thanks!!

Also, I’ve ridden Tron in Shanghai and it’s thrilling and amazing! I can’t wait for MK to finish. We rode it four times I believe (and we had to pay $25 for two of the subsequent rides so we basically paid $50 to ride it again it was so good!).

2 Likes

Me too.

I would guess that it is the case. I wish Disney would keep their ride cleaning and add hand sanitizer for everyone before the ride. And I agree that the Universal sanitizer was sticky and smelly.

Awesome!! My DS is excited about Tron (I am too).

2 Likes

Wait why did you have to pay?

In Shanghai you can buy Fastpasses and the line was 2 hours long when we were leaving the park at the end of the 2nd day so it was our last chance. You only live once right?!? LOL You can use the phone app to buy a single FP for $25 I think it was. You can get a set of 'em at a big discount but we had already ridden everything else.

3 Likes

It’s similar to the Universal Express System but more like Volcano Bay. You can buy a set of Fastpasses for blocks of rides like just Kiddie rides, or just thrill rides, or all of em. But it’s a ride once per ride situation. You can individual ride Fastpasses for $25 each which could really add up.

2 Likes

Interesting. I’m guessing some kind of paid FP is coming to WDW at some point.

2 Likes

I really prefer DLR’s MaxPass where you just pay I think $15 and can do it from your phone and get one every 90 min or when your next one gets scanned in so in the early morning you can get em less than an hour. We can get so many there without having to plan ahead and it’s cheap. We booked a club level room at WDW last Jan just to get the extra three no tier fastpasses for $50pp for DHS but even then you spend time waiting around since they are hour increments. I hope they go to a DLR MaxPass system vs fully paid but it’ll probably be more like Shanghai and Paris because there is more money to be made there.

1 Like

Great photos!

1 Like

I haven’t been to DLR since they started MaxPass, but it sounds like something I would actually like.

Thanks.

1 Like