Sun hat, mouse ears, or a hybrid?

I looked for a similar topic and found no heated debates, to my surprise.

I burn easily, so should wear a sun hat in August. I also like sparkly things so there are sequin Minnie ears calling to me. Has anyone seen a hat that combines the best of both and isn’t too dorky and doesn’t require mad crafting skills? If you have to choose between them, which do you choose?

1 Like

I’m probably not the best judge of what’s “dorky”, but this works for me. I burn easily too! I don’t get anything on the back of my neck or forehead.

6 Likes

I burn easily too, but I also overheat with something other than a visor or headband on my head. No hats for me. So I would do sunscreen and the ears.

3 Likes

While we are debating, do ears make your head hurt? I can’t really wear headbands for long because I feel like they squeeze my head. But i would love to wear ears! (I feel like otherwise I look bald in pictures if I’m wearing a pont tail.)

5 Likes

The top of my head burns more easily than anywhere else so I have to wear a hat.

3 Likes

Yep, I find them quite uncomfortable after a while. I have to wear them quite far back from my ears. DD can only wear them for about 10 minutes before saying they hurt. Oh, and I’ll add that we still have a reasonable collection of ears between us (DH wouldn’t be seen dead in Disney ears of any description).

3 Likes

I wore a wide-brimmed fishing hat. I hate getting sunburn. I forgot about it in a few photos. Don’t care. I’m too old to worry about how I look.

4 Likes

Wish they had a bucket hat with ears. That would be about perfect

2 Likes

The other thing to consider about a hat is they often get lost. Hats are not very intelligent so they wander off by themselves fairly regularly. For some reason, my family especially has a problem with buying very dumb hats. On this last trip, DS27’s hat wandered off before we even arrived at WDW. His replacement hat (which I just happened to have brought) also had trouble remembering where it belonged, but somehow we all just KNEW it would be forgetful, and kept an eye on it. That hat was so dumb, it tried to stay on several rides, when everyone knows that you have to get off and and go through the queue again, even on CL1 days!!

Hats are just not very smart these days.

11 Likes

So far, DS has left a hat on BTMRR, we re-bought the same hat. Then, on KRR, the hat jumped off his head towards the end of the ride and wound up in the water. Again, rebought same hat. Fortunately, a month later, the KRR hat was found and returned to us…so now we have 2 of this hat. We’ll see how many we come back with next month…

3 Likes

I find Disney ears so painful! Ones from Etsy are much more comfortable, they’re not as tight behind your ears (at least the ones I have)

1 Like

I think Etsy is the place for you.

5 Likes

I’m a visor person. Love my visors.
I wish I could wear ears but i have a large head and any headbands hurt.

1 Like

Me too. I have a “Disney hat”.

3 Likes

My girls wear Mickey ears, but I can’t do headbands for very long or I get a headache (as others have mentioned!). So I wear a sun hat–I love this style, and it crumples up and can be stuffed in a purse or bag and come out unwrinkled. They last forever! https://www.amazon.com/Scala-Womens-Cotton-Drawstring-Rating/dp/B0029F26EC/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=scala+hat&qid=1559350021&s=gateway&sr=8-3

1 Like

My family has a problem with buying very stupid gloves that wander off (usually one seems to have way more brains than its mate) but, small mercies, we won’t be testing their intelligence in August. It’s good you were able to remind the replacement hat of the rules for getting back in the queue to ride again.

I’m planning for my kids’ hats to be overwhelmed by the theme parks and losing their wits, so we will have several dim-but-cheap hats along for each kid.

2 Likes

Ooh, sparkly, face shade, and ears. That is promising though ideally my neck would get some shade too.

OMGOMGOMG I looked at other options from that Etsy seller and this completely fails the not-too-dorky test but I am very tempted. The furry ears! The Porg on the bow!

5 Likes

I saw Minnie Mouse red and white polka dotted sun hats with black ears at WDW. I think it was at HS. We were there 3 weeks ago. I wore a foldable sun hat, and the black bow fell off the 2nd day. Luckily the black band stayed on. I just took my Happy Birthday Button and pinned it where the missing bow once was.
Here’s a pic of a sun hat similar to what I saw at HS…

10 Likes

I might need this

I do need this! :grin: