Struggling to cancel

I could see them restarting the races if runners prove they have had the vaccine. Otherwise, I don’t think it will happen in 2021.

That has crossed my worry mind too. But it is a big money making weekend for them at a time when they would ordinarily see a post-holiday slump. And a lot of good comes from it through charity donations (I ran for Alex’s Lemonade Stand myself). So hopefully they will continue.

I worry that they will scale back the field and jack up the pricing…

2 Likes

This how I am rationalizing to myself. We planned a last minute trip for last spring break right before everything went to hell (the first time). Had to cancel, but that’s ok, we have an August trip planned and what the hell lets go Christmas too with the money we saved. Then we cancelled August, so lets book next February. Now we’ve cancelled Christmas so I booked Spring Break next year. February is not looking good. Something about having something next too look forward too that “replaced” the one cancelled has helped me stay ok with it. That and the fact my wife and I both have jobs and are lucky enough to keep planning these things.

BUT, if my first ever cruise next August gets killed i will cry…a lot.

I love your Skyliner graphic! So charming. :blush:

4 Likes

My “window” started when I was 11 and … it’s still going strong. Just one data point for you. :wink:

8 Likes

I know exactly how you feel. When I cancelled our January trip last week it felt like an elephant was sitting on my chest for days. I hope your backup trips come through for you!

1 Like

I’m starting to come around to the March trip idea. Hopefully Flower and Garden will happen, and we will be at Epcot for DW’s birthday. I’m sure I could find something special to do for her there.

I just need to cancel the January trip and get it out of my brain.

1 Like

Or maybe Raglan Road for her birthday, which is St. Patty’s Day.

4 Likes

That’s my son’s birthday!

1 Like

that’s my father’s bday

1 Like

Some days are harder than others. We literally had our bags packed for our March trip when we got the news that WDW was closing. It was heartbreaking. So many things to say about that perfectly planned trip… DS 13 birthday spent at HS (huuuge Star Wars fan), a surprise trip to BBB and CRT for DD, lots of Mickey Mouse hugs planned for then DS2 just to name a few.

March turned to June— then August— then December. Now after 4 cancelled trips I have 2 more on the calendar- March and June. I really hope one happens but honestly I am at the point where I will believe it when I see it. :cry:

4 Likes

Ouch.

We were about to cancel out December trip, but then decided at the last minute to go for it. However, DW insisted that if we were to go then we would all wear masks and face shields. At first I thought “well that’s going to suck,” however after just finishing our second day in the parks I’m actually feeling very safe with our mask/shields. That said, the only people that we have seen in both the Magic Kingdom and DHS who are wearing shields are cast members! Some of them have been giving us encouraging words about our use of the shields, which is nice. Plus, it actually isn’t as bad as I first thought that it would be. It’s something to think about if you have a partner who is hesitant to make the trip during the pandemic.

4 Likes

I have one for June and feel the same. Especially with newer reports that the number of vaccines that will be available is a small percentage of what was initially announced.

Some days it feels like this will never end. Especially Mondays.

4 Likes

I feel like I’ve had a year of my life stolen from me.

I had two trips booked for 2020 — June and October. They were going to be extra-magical because I was taking someone special with me. As always I put vast amounts of time into planning them and making them “perfect”. Naturally, both were cancelled.

2020 has consequently been a better year for my finances, though I still have $700 of UOR money spent that I’ve yet to see any value from — an AP, express passes, dining cards. I’m trusting that UOR will do the right thing when I finally get back there. Every other penny — bar what is now unnecessary travel insurance — was, eventually, refunded.

I rebooked for April 2021, but decided I should wait longer to be more sure of a more normal experience. So it’s now August 2021. Vaccines, fireworks, parades, new attractions … who knows how things will look in two hundred (good grief) and fifty days.

I still don’t think I’ve processed all this. In terms of the five stages, I haven’t even got to anger yet. Everyone has suffered loss this year — many way more than me — but nonetheless I had dreams for this year and they were crushed. No, stolen. Never to return.

I struggle with this forum sometimes. Most of you are American, many of you seem to be managing to take trips. Perhaps you don’t even realise that people like me cannot even travel to your country. We’re locked out.

I guess I did manage to sneak a trip to DLP in during the summer and that was really great. But three nights at DLP on my own is not quite the same as sixteen nights at WDW with someone who could have been life-changingly special.

I can’t even do a sneaky Christmas trip to DLP. It’s been shut down again.

Ugh.

3 Likes

So sorry Matt. The time will come that we will walk Main Street again. But patience is not one of my strengths, which is why I’m just punting my trip a few months at a time. The downside is I’m in a perpetual state of disappointment. :frowning:

I hope you and Calvin are staying healthy.

4 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I hope you get to do this next year.

2020 is a lost year for all of us and it completely sucks. I’m hoping next year brings better things—a vaccine, travel, getting to hug loved ones. I’m trying to stay optimistic. Pandemics can’t last forever. Disney will be there waiting for you. :blue_heart:

5 Likes

Thanks. But I won’t.

1 Like

Same. We were ready to get in our car to drive to the airport. Instead, I spent about 6 hours on the phone trying to cancel things. Such a sad week. Every day I said things like “We would’ve been doing X right now”.

I couldn’t push it out a few months at a time, and go through that again. We’re hoping for this coming March, but I’m still not convinced we’ll be able to go.

2 Likes

I’m sure someone somewhere is writing a history: 2020 - The Year That Wasn’t.

My DD26 and I were discussing last night how this year was like life was put on pause.

2 Likes