Struggling to cancel

I am sorry you have to cancel! I know it feels like you can’t stand to give up one more thing, but the end is near!

Tell us about your next trip?

2 Likes

I felt the same way when we canceled our June trip (was to be first time back since 1996). I had just found this group and then I just had to distance from anything Disney. I kept snoozing various Facebook groups I was in. 30 days at a time. I didn’t visit this forum at all because it was just too much.

3 Likes

This thread feels like the support group I need right now. @NoBellePrizeWinner, I’m sorry about your predicament and hope that you find some comfort in knowing that many of us feel similarly. I go back and forth between feeling joy while reading this forum and feeling depressed about my lost trip. Then I feel guilty about feeling so upset about a missed vacation when so many people are dealing with much greater losses. Such a vicious cycle! I hope we can all make trips to the World soon.

6 Likes

Making a fake TP is genius! Particularly for those of us who have never actually used TP in WDW yet. I really don’t know why I hadn’t thought of it before. Thank you. I definitely will do this so I have one less unknown going forward. :grin:

I just wish I could practice getting a BG for RotR lol.

1 Like

Sorry! I know how you feel too. I had to cancel our May trip which we told my daughter about last January as part of her birthday gift. We were supposed to be there over our 10th Anniversary (we got married in Disney). Then I cancelled our rescheduled September trip. Then last week I made the difficult decision to cancel our beginning of February trip. We have an airline credit we have to use before the end of April. It has been hardest on my DD (almost 8). She has had so much cancelled on her this year. She hasn’t been to Disney since she was 3. My DS1 loves Mickey and lights up anytime he sees a picture of him. It is so tough cancelling after planning everything out again and again.

3 Likes

I had a glimmer of Disney hope yesterday. As I said, we don’t plan on returning until
Things are as close to normal as possible. DH was asking about what I wanted for Christmas. I said nothing crazy, let’s start saving for post-corona vacations! Then he says—. Disney Fall 2022??? And folks this as close to a countdown as I’ll have and I am excited!

9 Likes

I’m so sorry! I can’t imagine having to cancel so many trips. I hope you can get back ASAP. :hugs:

2 Likes

Indeed. But our disappointment and sadness caused by it are real and still worth airing out. It’s clearly on a different level, but there is still grieving.

7 Likes

Agreed. Sadness is not a competition

6 Likes

This will be the general plan if we go in the next few months. Not sure how much this would change if postponed to later.

Saturday (HS): arrive AoA ~12, QS lunch, HS - MMRR, H&V dinner, Star Wars (Oga?)
Sunday (HS): Toy Story and Star Wars, QS lunch, RRC/ToT during hotel break (DD1), Oga/Droid Depot / Sci Fi dinner
Monday (MK): Adventureland/Frontierland, QS lunch, hotel break, Fantasyland/LibertySquare, Crystal Palace dinner
Tuesday (MK): Fantasyland/Tomorrowland, QS lunch, hotel break, Fantasyland/LibertySquare, LTT dinner
Wednesday (EP): Trattoria breakfast, Futureworld, GG lunch, WS (hope for stroller nap) and Biergarten dinner, ice cream at Beaches and Cream
Thursday (HS): Frozen/Muppets/LM shows (and others if re-opened), RRC/ToT during hotel break (DD1), repeat Toy Story, Star Wars, Mama Melrose dinner
Friday (AK): [switch from AoA to CR] Discovery Island/Africa, lunch at Y&Y (or Tusker if re-opened), Asia, Dinoland, Pandora, bus to CR for CG dinner
Saturday (MK): CM breakfast, repeat MK favorites, hotel break, repeat MK favorites, BOG dinner
Sunday: leave early AM

I think if you click the image the full-size will popup.

7 Likes

Reading about all these cancelled plans.

This is suck.

What’s the consensus: if you have to cancel and re-schedule, is it “better” to aim for the next opportunity a few months away?
Or in this pandemic, is it better to re-schedule much further down the road, like 2022, so you don’t end up having to cancel & re-schedule again?

1 Like

I 100% understand. We had the “perfect” trip planned for May. It was a celebration of my graduation from a master’s program. I’ve been working so hard to finish this degree that we have had to sacrifice a lot of family time. So I said, the week after I graduate, we’re going to do ALL the things at Disney. We had dessert parties, pirate parties, fireworks cruises, Early Morning Magic, After Hours… if you could add it, we did! I worked an extra job (and therefor, ironically, more missed family time) to pay for it on top of my teaching job. Of course it wasn’t my choice to cancel it, the choice was made for me (I don’t think we would have gone at that time even if Disney was open…) but it hurt so bad to see all those emails and refunds coming in. We are going in a week now, and honestly we flip and flop over cancelling. I’m really nervous. Our kids have had past medical issues, and even though the doctor said she doesn’t consider them high risk anymore, I am nervous. I am crowd averse normally (one reason I am a liner! Helps me avoid crowds, or at least cope with them because I feel in control!) so now that is taken to a new level. We’ve shortened the trip, and are planning on only a few hours in the two parks we are going to, and trying to stick to “the path less travelled.” We’re going to be doing things like mini golf and horseback riding and canoeing (staying at the campgrounds.) That is absolutely NOT the trip we had planned, but I hope it is fun, and enough disney for my kids.

I think what hurts the most is knowing that we will probably never have a trip like our originally planned one again. For one thing, our kids have all had birthdays causing them to “age out” of certain activities. Some of them are likely not returning, or have already been announced to be permanently closed. I also don’t think we’ll have that much extra money ever again.

I’ve been thinking of doing one of the Disney Runs once they start again. My cousin does them, and I’ve done local marathons. I’ve wanted to do another for a while and I think maybe the promise of Disney might motivate me to follow through again.

6 Likes

I think that is so important to acknowledge. I heard a lot of this after I cancelled in April. But really it’s fine to be sad about these things, even when there are bigger problems. We have a lot of excitement in these trips, only natural to be disappointed.

3 Likes

This is a good point, and maybe one reason I’m sadder than I expected to be, given I KNEW the chances were against this trip. For one, I’d managed to get a lot of good discounts and the overall trip was going to be 2/3 of the “rack rate”. Hard to give up such a good value.

Also, my oldest is OBSESSED with Star Wars right now, and I’m afraid we will miss that window if we postpone the trip too far. Not a huge deal, but it would be extra magical for him right now.

I highly recommend you do so. The 6 Disney races I have done are by far the most fun I’ve had running. The only downside is waking up at 3AM.

4 Likes

I’ve got my eye on 2022.

Probably the entire Disney running community does. We’ll see what happens.

3 Likes

That’s the downside of ANY running event! LOL! I’m not a morning person, although I will admit it does feel good when everyone is still waking up and I’ve finished a long run already

I don’t mind early mornings but 3a is a little extreme. The hard thing for me is that I’m an evening runner (due to our family life). The earliest I run on a weekend day is about 10. I need a nice slow wakeup, coffee, and coziness for a while before I am ready to run.

2 Likes

If you’re saying you are going to run in 2022, I’d LOVE to join you! Actually, it would be kind of cool to have a Liners running “team” for one of the races. Taking the Liner meet-ups to another level!

4 Likes

That’s what I’m saying!

I ran in 2018, and thought I would go after it for 2021. But I’m not paying Disney pricing for a virtual race. So I’m on to looking at 2022.

1 Like

One of my big fears in all the Disney changes is that they are going to permanently retire the races like they did with DL. I could be wrong, but I think it HAS to be a huge cash cow for them, so I’m hopeful the races will return with Wine and Dine 2021. If so, I’ll be doing that and Dopey 2022. If I can convince DW, I would really like to do the Princess and Star Wars as well to complete the full calendar. Get that out of my system and take a break from the $$$ Disney races.