Sticker shock--Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party

I bought tickets to Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party for Dec 10th. Close to Christmas, so no Annual Pass discount. It came to $402.58 for 2 adults. I just happened to be going through our many visits to Disney World and came across the receipt for Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas Party 2005. We had a party of 3 adults and 1 child and the total with shipping and tax came to $159.37. The price for adult tickets increased from $38.95 to $189. In 2005, 2 adult tickets with shipping and tax cost $77.90. I used and inflation calculator to see what that would be in today’s dollars. It came up with $122.77 and I paid $402.58. We all know that Disney has become crazy expensive, but those numbers surprised me.

10 Likes

Disney definitely went off the rails with increases far surpassing inflation for many years - including one where they had multiple increases in a single year. :frowning:

6 Likes

Since just 2015 there have been significant price increases. I still fondly remember having a Premier Passport that year.

1 Like

I’m going to Jollywood nights. It’s even more expensive for less time and attractions… :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Even more surprising … no matter how much the increase, the parties have been selling out every night. I suspect the large increases will continue each year until the sell-outs stop.

6 Likes

It’s a lot. I was thinking about the Christmas party solo but it was $200 with tax…
Hard for me to swallow considering the OI events at USO/IOA are $240 ish for access 5 pm-midnight or 1 am, plus free actual food. I’m a Disney Stan but yikes.

4 Likes

People don’t love it when I say it out loud around here, but this pricing is one reason (but a big one) why I became a “Disney Refugee” and eventually “The Universal Addict”

I went back to WDW for the first time in 5+ years for MNSSHP.(solo) I’m going to MVMCP & Jollywood…

The ONLY reason I can do all this is because I still have my Disney Visa / Redemption Points.

I had a great time at MNSSHP and that’s why I booked MVMCP. However, paying around $200+ for these events - including OIM is nuts! I couldn’t even imagine bringing my family for $600 for one night + food / drinks

(I’ve been to OIM for four nights. It’s a lot of fun if you want to eat until you feel sick and want to ride a few things as a walk-on. However, for about $100 more than the cost of a OIM weekend you can just get an AP at UOR — that’s the real savings deal!! :blue_heart: :yellow_heart: :blue_heart: :yellow_heart: :blue_heart:)

4 Likes

I totally agree. It’s all crazy.

1 Like

We attended the parties several times in recent years when they were going on during our trips, but are skipping MVMCP on our upcoming trip in early December. I can’t justify $800 for myself and 3 kids to have 5 hours of crowds and long lines. My experience in the last party we attended was that it was very crowded, and they were only running one side of many rides so lines were still fairly long. We had to choose between doing the rides we wanted and watching the special entertainment for the party, there wasn’t time for both. And we don’t even do waits to meet characters. The area in front of the castle seemed just as crowded for parades/fireworks as a regular night’s fireworks. The other factor is, the party would be at the expense of an evening and morning in the parks elsewhere that are already included in our tickets. On a 4-day trip we can make good use of that time in other parks. I guess Disney is doing what they do best raking in $$$, but they have priced and crowded me out.

2 Likes

Yep, we are going at Christmas but will not be attending MVMCP. It would be over $800 for my family of 4. Insane.

4 Likes

I’m really only doing it to check it off my list. As I agree. I enjoyed MNSSHP but didn’t feel like it was unique enough to do again and with LL I can often not have the 30+ min lines I had for Space and HM even though BTMR was only 5 min. Lines for rides were shorter if you’re not a Genie+/ILL person but I’m that person so I can wait even less using those systems.

I have repeated Oogie Boogie and would repeat it again though. Their treat trails with characters are much better and Redwood Creek Challenge Trail is good unique fun. Plus it’s just a better park attraction wise than MK.

4 Likes

We have never done Oogie Boogie but it is definitely on our bucket list!

1 Like

You can probably add 1 more day onto your tickets, stay another night at the resort, and eat a table service dinner within that cost!

5 Likes

Correct. Economics 101.

Something like that… :wink:

Actually that’s probably partially wrong. Though I do imagine the costs have increased for them somewhat but that’s not the full story. The full story is they are essence selling it at a price cheaper than where supply meets demand and until they find that sweet spot there are profits being lost. More like this right?

2 Likes

The second graph is better, yes. This is the same with race weekends and almost anything Figment. Disney keeps jacking up the prices, we all complain, but we buy it anyway.

The first graph is what would happen if Disney decided to sell 500 fewer tickets to a party night. The price per ticket should go up to compensate.

1 Like

Planning my Spring break trip, I am not finding Universal to be cheaper tham Disney. From what I see Universal really jacks prices up for high season and has much cheaper rates during low season.

So I can see where special events and low season are much cheaper. But if you want to skip lines, Universal is more expensive over spring break - especially when I am using convention tickets - which become dateless for Disney, but not Universal. I’m gonna need to make a spread sheet!

2 Likes

For sure the only way I have found after hours or parties to be in a price range I am comfortable with is when I drop a day from the ticket, and use the party in its place.

1 Like

For $200 you can go from a 4 day to a 10 day ticket.

2 Likes

I’m an AP so it really takes a lot to justify. We are giving it a one time try.

Disney Trips are best when you have 7-10 days as the longer the trip the cheaper the per day park ticket cost.

2 Likes