Star Wars Movie Recommendation for Newbie

That is the best one to watch as an adult who has already seen all the movies. I do not think that is the best movie to get young kids interested in Star Wars.

1 Like

ESB is one of the first movies I ever saw in a movie theater. (That, and “Lady and the Tramp”.) I was 7 at the time. I was too young to see ANH when it was at the theater (both releases). It wasn’t until years later that I finally got to see both ANH and ESB again because the VCR finally came out!

Is Luke’s arc really what you want to teach kids though?

The story of an orphan boy who becomes radicalized after a military strike kills his family. He is indoctrinated into an ancient religion, joins a band of rebel insurgents, and carries out a terrorist attack killing 300,000 people.

4 Likes

Why not? It’s where I began. Give kids credit, not everything needs to be super-happy-fun-time-whiz-bang to keep them interested :slight_smile:

Regarding Luke’s no longer whining…oh but he does. Citation: intro of Yoda scene. Actually ALL yoda scenes.

3 Likes

Not sure what you mean by this.

Yes. :slight_smile:

…Death Star employees.

3 Likes

Yeah, I guess. I see that more as frustration than whining. In ANH, it was most definitely whining. “But I was going to go into Tashi to pick up some power converters!”

bingo!

The first time wasn’t as bad, but the second time it was under construction so they just killed thousands of trade workers.

2 Likes

Luke went to face Darth Vader and, ultimately, the Emperor.

1 Like

for whatever reason, that just made me think of what I really didn’t like in episode 7. Ray, with no training whatsoever was able to fight off Kyle ren. To me that was way worse than jar jar binks

2 Likes

If was fully operational, despite being under construction.

1 Like

Rey is coming into her power much in the same way Luke did with almost no actual training until he met Yoda. I’m sure her mitichlorian count is higher than Luke’s. :wink:

2 Likes

Wow, lots of info to chew on, thanks! For what it’s worth, we are headed there before galaxy edge opens and I am primarily interested in familiarizing my kids with the basic outline of the story and characters.

I shouldn’t have opened this thread …

I love all the Star Wars movies (yes, including the prequels, sequels, OT, and “stories”). I am a fanatic. Personally, I think you can’t go wrong watching a SW movie. Kids especially love the prequels.

However, I agree with those who said that if you are going to pick one to prep for WDW, Episode 7 is best. It introduces you to all the relevant characters (including a few from the OT) and sets up the universe that is explored in SWGE.

Setting aside WDW, the best introduction to Star Wars is Episode IV (aka “Star Wars” aka “A New Hope”). It’s a great self-contained story and a classic. If you like it, it’s the perfect place to kick off a viewing of the entire saga.

4 Likes

I suspect you didn’t begin recently. Young kids today are used to different types of movies/shows. I know the best way to turn my DD off to Star Wars would be start her with Empire.

So you’re saying kids of a certain generation can’t enjoy movies from others? I think kids will recognize quality, no matter when it was created.

This is true.

However, it was funny. I’ve been slowly going through the Star Trek movies with my DS9. And, unfortunately, it starts with “Star Trek: The Motion Picture”. And, aside from maybe 2001:A Space Odyssey, it has some of the boringest space sequences ever found in any film. I had to assure my son that the rest of the movies are not like this. But it takes like 15 minutes for Kirk to fly around the Enterprise, and 20 minutes for the Enterprise to fly into the energy cloud surrounding V-ger. Fortunately, he was patient enough to get to Star Trek II. Next up is Star Trek VI.

Or you can download the “Despecialized” versions from the Dark Web.

Not every child. The of age of the child matters too. And the interests of the child matters as well. But take the average kid under 10 and I think they would prefer Episode 7 over Episode 4 or 5 (even though I agree with you that Empire is fantastic).

1 Like

This is the basis of the theory that Hayden Christensen’s whiny portrayal of Anakin was not bad acting but instead a brilliant acting choice to demonstrate the family connection.

3 Likes