Star Wars Movie Recommendation for Newbie

Mind Blown! :exploding_head:

I grew up with SW and have seen all the movies, but never got deep into it with books or animated series.

How much time do you have? If you can, i’d start with the original trilogy (4, 5, 6) and then if you have time do 7 and 8. As someone else already mentioned, SWGE is based on the characters from 7 and 8. However, to really appreciate the movies 7 and 8, I think it would be best to watch 4, 5 ,6 first.

2 Likes

I didn’t get into it (the animated series) either, but my kids did, so I picked up bits here and there with it being on in the background.

1 Like

DH mentioned the accents when I told him about this thread!

LOL it’s not that cool though, he comes back with a robot’s bottom half, pretty cheesy:

1 Like

I don’t know if you’ve seen the film Fighting With My Family, about a British girl who goes to the WWE. There’s a scene in that where she meets the other (American) girls she’s training with, and one says “I love your accent, you sound just like a Nazi!”

I’m pretty sure we are overwhelming the OP rather than helping !!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

:face_vomiting::face_vomiting:
#notmydarthmaul

1 Like

Good point. I have a solution:

“The Wrath of Khan”

That’s the best of the series.

:wink:

4 Likes

But that’s the only real part of the whole series. And don’t forget, the rebels are all guilty of numerous war crimes since they attacked and killed civilians.

My father was a plumber on the government’s orbiting space station! Those terrorist just called it a “Death Star” to justify their murders!!

1 Like

e3c

5 Likes

Shazbot!

2 Likes

My vote is for episode 7. This is the first one I watched and became a fan ever since. Watched all episodes, but 7 and Rogue One are my personal favorites.

I’m in the same boat with my sons (5 &7) though I am a moderate Star Wars fan myself. Our plan is to watch Ep 4 A New Hope (the original Star Wars) and Ep 7 (The Force Awakens). We don’t have time or desire to watch all Star Wars movies with them, but these two tell complete stories -for the most part. Ep 4 will give a good introduction to Star Wars; the overall theme and feel. Ep 7 will introduce you to more of the characters you will encounter in Galaxy’s Edge. I also think these are the most kid friendly (ie least dark) of the series.

If you are going to only watch one though I agree that Ep 7 is the right way to go as the land is set in this time.

1 Like

The only movie you need to watch from Star Wars is Empire Strikes Back. All main characters appear, best of the storyline, and sets in motion (or capitalizes on) all the “arcs” of all the characters.

Everything else is just support.

3 Likes

The only downside to that plan is that it kind of ends on a cliffhanger, necessitating watching ROTJ.

Otherwise, I agree with your assessment. ALTHOUGH, I like to see the complete transformation of Luke. You kind of miss out on his whiny baby/adventurous spirit stage if you skip ANH.

2 Likes

I think it depends on the kids. If an adult was watching for the first time and wanted to best understand the story, I would start with Episode 4, but I’m not sure that is the best approach for today’s generation of young kids. The old school special effects and pace of Episode 4, however, may result is some kids being bored. In addition, it would depend on which characters the child already know and like. For example, my DD4 has not seen any of the movies, but she already loves Rey so I will likely start her with Episode 7 when she is older.

Depending on the child, I think either Episode 4 or Episode 7 is a good place to start.

Not a downside. If you liked it enough, you’ll continue on. If not, you’ll say “that was …something.” and move along. I watched ESB like 100x before my Dad finally told me one day “you know there’s a movie before and after this, right?” and blew my mind.

heh, it’s not like kids today need to wait 18 years for the next Star Wars movie! (#getoffmylawn)

Start with Episode 4 A New Hope. That is the first movie and it is a great one!

2 Likes