Star Tours vs Millenium Falcon

That’s right. You get a general sense of the action even with glasses off. And I usually put the glasses back on when we’re in motion. It’s only the stationary screens that bother me (in the alcoves).

1 Like

How are you on Dinosaur?

Dinosaur doesn’t give me motion sickness so much as I feel like I’ll need to get my neck adjusted :rofl:

3 Likes

I never thought about taking Dramamine the night before. I didn’t think it would last that long. We might need to try it. I’m not a great sleeper so that may work I’m my favor anyway.

1 Like

It worked great for me on this last trip. I got no motion sickness the whole time. I avoided the worst offenders (Star Tours, Forbidden Journey) but I rode GotG, MFSR, and Remy (avoiding screens), as well as The Mummy, Velocicoaster, Gringotts, and Hagrid’s at UOR. I think Dramamine is supposed to provide some degree of relief for about 24 hours. Taking a half less-drowsy right before also had a placebo effect at the very least. :wink:

3 Likes

Wow. I didn’t realize that so many people can’t do ST because of motion sickness. It doesn’t affect me… yet. And the more thrill (whether screen or other) the better for me. Must be why I rank ST higher than MFSR in overall experience.

ducks for cover :laughing:

5 Likes

In my experience, I’m ok with MF if I’m the pilot, it makes me sick if I sit anywhere else. Star Tours makes me sick regardless. I find the older I get the more motion-sick I get, I tried FoP in 2020, lasted about 30 seconds before I had to close my eyes for the rest of it, and the only reason I didn’t throw up was the “cool breeze” effect.

2 Likes

Everyone loves FoP, Remy gets mixed reviews. I don’t have any desire to try either one based on so many reports of :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

I’ll add my experiences - for me simulated motion with hurky jurky movements are what do me in. Also spinning rides. Forward/smooth movement even with a simulation are okay. Therefore:

Star Tours :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: - will never do again

Teacups :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

MFSR with bad pilots and
watching the screen :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting: :face_vomiting:

Millennium Falcon under any other scenario :raised_hands:t2:

Remy :raised_hands:t2:

Flight of Passage :raised_hands:t2: :raised_hands:t2:

Rise of the Resistance :raised_hands:t2: :raised_hands:t2: :raised_hands:t2:

3 Likes

I have to close my eyes through most of ST to make it without motion sickness. Still takes me a couple of minutes to recover.

MFSR depends on the position:
Pilot - I’m screwed because I have to watch the screen. First time I rode, I was a pilot. Swore I’d never ride again.Took 30 or 40 minutes for me to recover - worse than GOTG.
Gunner & Engineer - because I don’t have to watch the screen constantly, I can manage. I really can’t look at the screen much at all though. These two positions make it about on par with ST when I close my eyes.

5 Likes

I’m a combo of @bebe80 and @ScottFL .

ST never have had any problems at all even when I was having new issues with other rides. Same with DH.

MFSR - the first time we were the only ones in our ship (June 2021) because of distancing etc. so we were both pilots. Did not know the goofy “controls” and had to watch the screen. I was done afterwards. Perhaps slightly green. :roll_eyes:It lingered. DH was fine. Swore never to pilot again if we rode again. Second time, in DL but it’s exactly the same, asked to be engineers. Listened and glanced at the screen but focused on buttons. Had a great time!!! Will only be engineers from now on.

FOP - the 2 times I have ridden it, it was delightful and I had no issues.

GotG - mostly ok, looked at track like @ScottFL suggested. Both were a bit wobbly after 1st ride but once we had something to eat were better. The 2 nd time (same day) we were ok but needed just a bit to recover but not really unpleasant. However, the 3rd time in the same day we both agreed was the only time we would done 3 times. 2 times is now a hard limit for that.

3 Likes

I’ve had rides on both where I’m okay and rides where I’m not. I think there are a lot of factors that come in to play (like last time I was have appendicitis but didn’t quite know it yet!). For me, fatigue, blood sugar, and where I’m sitting can all make a difference. However, Star Tours has made me sicker than Millenium Falcon ever has so I think in general the images are a bit crisper and you’re always in the middle. Maybe the back is worse than being a gunner or pilot but on Star Tours when I’m on the sides I always get sick. And that’s less of an issue with MFSR

2 Likes

Interesting so I wonder if gunners being in the middle has less up and down maybe? Because I think I’ve gotten sick as an engineer but not as a gunner or pilot.

2 Likes

I don’t know. I just know what worked for me. Lol. I only glanced briefly at screen each time and mostly concentrated on the buttons and listening to Hando. Not going to risk trying something different when this worked for us! However, I would guess, that for me, I just can’t be trying to control levers etc and watching a screen at the same time. If the piloting was intuitive, maybe, but we were seriously thrown in the deep end on our first go round. :woozy_face:

1 Like