Stacking Genie+ Lightning Lanes

I haven’t been to WDW since the Paper FastPass Epoch, and I’m just starting to fiddle around with touring plans incorporating Genie+ and ILL. It’s so complicated but I think I’m getting my head arround it.

One of our touring plans is for an evening at Hollywood Studios, arriving around 5:30pm and staying until park close. I’m making an ambitious plan, and then if I don’t get everything we want, for when we want, we’ll improvise as we go.

Please tell me if you think this is ridiculously optimistic, or if I’m missing some obvious (or not-so-obvious) hitch:

7:00am Get LL for Slinky to ride at 8:00pm
7:00am Get ILL for RoTR to ride at 6:00pm
11:00am Get LL for Millennium Falcon to ride at 6:30pm
1:00pm Get LL for RnRC to ride at 5:30pm
3:00pm Get LL for Tower of Terror to ride at 8:30pm
5:00pm Get LL for Toy Story Mania to ride at 7:30pm

According to Touring Plans’ awesome number crunching, I should be able to get return times (although maybe not these return times?) for all or most of these rides on a low-crowd day, and I’d have a decent chance on a medium-crowd day (if I’m reading this right).

Is it crazy to think I might be able to get something like this? Are the return times too unpredictable and uncontrollable to pull this off?

2 Likes

That wasn’t that far off what we did. The biggest problem will be SDD. It might be 4pm, it might be 8pm. For us, we did basically that and the first G+ time determined how long our afternoon break would be. So, if we got SDD for 4pm, we might be entering the gates at 4:30-ish.

Also I read recently that ROTR has better times a tad after 7am. You will want to look at the drop thread to see when that was.

DH once said, “Why don’t we try HS as the morning park?” We had park hoppers. I squashed that by pointing out our stacked G+ and that we’d just wait in long lines in the morning.

2 Likes

If you based this off data, it’s a reasonable plan. You may have to call an audible if return times are different than expected… The only thing I’ll say is that as long as you don’t have to rider swap or do a ton of bathroom breaks for incontinent members of your party (:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:), you should be able to work around return times that aren’t exactly what you have planned. You can theoretically do one ride per 20 minutes with LL, so overlapping windows shouldn’t be a problem, nor should gaps.

2 Likes

this is why this whole stupid system is stupid and i hate it.

13 Likes

This 1000x.

5 Likes

Thanks for the validation! I was half afraid you all were going to come back at me with Ummm, that’s not how any of this works.

We can’t bank on entering the park before 5:30pm. So, if on the first try at 7:00am I don’t get a Slinky time at 5:30 or later, do I have any chance of getting something later if I refresh? Or is it too late to get anything if I even refresh once?

1 Like

One time, I hit the LL button for SDD at 6:59:58 instead of 6:59:59, and that was too early. That cost me 10 seconds of watching the phone app spin. I got a 8 pm on that day.

There is that technique of going back when it gives you the time and all the people are listed. If the time is too early, that should work.

You do realize that in about 6 months they will come out with Genie Premiere Access, where, for the low low price of $50/person/day, you will be able to pre-book two ILLs and one LL 30 days in advance (60 for resort guests) for whatever time you want.

7 Likes

You hush your mouth! Nevermind Disney overlords he was just kidding. That’s a terrible idea. No one would buy it. Don’t waste your resources making it happen.

7 Likes

You can keep trying for a few minutes as they do become available again very briefly a few minutes after 7. The hardest part of planning is you don’t know what return time is going to be available and when you do select that time you don’t know if that’s actually what you’ll get once it goes through the booking process.

2 Likes

How exactly does this work? I know the return time can change when you move from the initial selection to the Edit Your Party page and beyond. I can’t get past the Edit Your Party page while just “practicing”—is it on the very next screen that a different time might come up? What about after that, can it change to yet a third time further on?

1 Like

So in my experience, I saw a 6:30 return time. I click. It now says 7:30. I click confirm to book it shows reserved for 8:15. Now that’s not every single time, but it happened to me more than once for those high draw attractions. I also have an android phone, was born in July, and there was a slight breeze in the air so who knows if you’ll have the same experience.

5 Likes

So, it switches the time after you click to confirm? That sounds … ungood.

3 Likes

Yeah. Again not always, but for those fast moving ones I did have that happen more than once. Word of advice, always check your tip board to see what time it actually booked.

3 Likes

Which is the best month to be born

3 Likes

This year is my 40th. I wish it wasn’t surface of the sun hot so I could properly celebrate.

4 Likes

Sorry - but what is the technique of “going back.” I’m not familiar.

Also, based on the 10 second delay listed above, could you try to time for a late afternoon time but counting to 3?

2 Likes

… while shouting Betelgeuse Betelgeuse Betelgeuse!

ETA: Just realized I spelled it the astronomical way rather than the Michael Keaton movie way.

3 Likes

Honestly, I would pay $50 per day for 4 LLs and 1 ILL prebooked at 30 days. Nothing less. And it would only be for certain days. No way would I pay that for every day!

1 Like

No,(it’s not like boarding groups :joy:) just wait til the 7:15-7:30 time frame to book. Return times can be from 1:00 to 6:00 during that time. This data is SO helpful for many attractions. See the thrill data:

It is also so important to do a Test Run before your trip if you have time. Preferably on a similar predicted crowd level day.

3 Likes