Space 220 * Review May 2023

Space 220 inside Epcot, for our adult kids birthdays.

First the numbers. 4 adults, soft drinks only (not included in the $79 prefix meal) + tip, total bill was $400. No AP or DVC discounts.

This restaurant is operated by the Patina Group, not Disney. That is an automatic improvement. They also run Tutto Italia and Via Napoli.

For $79, each person selects an appetizer, a main course, and a desert. The food was good, not great or amazing, but good. The filet was the main hit at our table. It was a great cut of steak, but could have used more seasoning for our tastes. If they would use the seasoning from Steakhouse 71, on their Select cut of steak, I would go back to 220 weekly!!! haha

For the atmosphere, it was cool and a good experience. I was surprised that the large “space windows” were not anti-glare. the lights from the restaurant were clearly reflecting in the windows.
Our time was very slow. We were seated at 5:45, and walked out at 7:40. It was a relaxing slow meal-yes. But we had plans to do several things before the park closed, and wasn’t able to get it all in. Outside a park, a slow relaxing meal is a good experience. When you paid to be in a park, they need to manage the meal to around 75 minutes.

Space 220 is definitely a top WDW restaurant, but at that price, it should be. By comparison, we had dinner at Steakhouse 71 and all four ate and had desert for less then $300 with tip, and left just as full and content. We are also going to 'Ohana and will edit this with that total price.

14 Likes

Thanks for the review. I’ve read a lot mixed reviews but am very excited about if not just for atmosphere. I’m sure the kids will love it. We are doing lunch to keep the price down a bit - that’s $55 per adult.

2 Likes

Also easier to get, and not in a park.
I’m looking forward to hopefully getting there this fall (SH71)

3 Likes

I was super hyped for Space 220, like most people here, when it was announced. I haven’t seen one “excellent” review yet. A whole lot of “it’s alright / fine” reviews. I want to ride the space elevator and see the windows out into space, but not for $100 / person… :man_shrugging:

Thanks for the review!!

2 Likes

I didn’t think it had any atmosphere at all. I’m glad we did the lounge. We had chicken and waffles which was good, and one drink each then we were on our way.

3 Likes

This was what I tried for last trip, but couldn’t get an ADR.

1 Like

We’re hoping to book Space for our trip (ADRs open in 2 weeks) as my DS12 is nuts about space… but I’m expecting to be disappointed with the food if we do get a booking.

Slightly concerning to hear it has no atmosphere :frowning:

2 Likes

Maybe next time.

I think it’s best if you’re with a child who loves space. DS10 was so excited and that turned it into a fun experience for me. Food was very good but we ate in the lounge so it was less expensive.

1 Like

Interesting. You didn’t get any allusion of being in space?

I’m glad we’re doing the lounge next month! We’re mostly interested in the space-y aspects, less the food and eye-watering price tag of the proper restaurant.

1 Like

There’s the big windows, but nothing really happens. The space elevator is by far the best bit. Though we did really enjoy the food and drinks.

2 Likes

I thought it was kind of silly :no_mouth:

I just failed to be very impressed by the whole thing at all. But I’m willing to give it another go for research

5 Likes

It is cool entrance theming, but never felt like we were in space. You’d have to use a pretty good imagination.

Spoiler In fact when we left, we entered the space elevator for our trip back to earth. After several minutes, nothing was happwning, so they just opened the door, and let us walk out into the park. No elevator, at all.

3 Likes

:rofl: OH :rofl:

2 Likes

We ate there twice last year and the food was better than I expected on both occasions. It is not cheap and you’re heavily paying for the environment, which while cool, is difficult to be THAT awesome. I think it is definitely worth experiencing at least once though. If it eventually settled in at a SciFi type price point, it would be an awesome value but sitting at the cost of a Signature is a tough comparison really.

5 Likes

I ate there in October 2021 (right after it opened) and we really loved everything about it — food, ambiance, experience, etc. Our kids actually ate the food, which is rare. And DW and I still dream of the calamari appetizer.

That said, for the price it was not one I can repeat with any regularity, as long as my kids are as picky as they are. Also I got the impression the quality of the food hasn’t been as consistent since the first few weeks of operation when we were there.

8 Likes

That’s what I’ve heard too…

1 Like

Most people just do the lounge. Lunch is $65 per adult. Yes it is expensive but no worst than Crysal Palace or Akershus. Be our Guest is the same, along with Cinderela’s Royal table which I find really extreme at $100 per person. You pay for the characters and ambience. That said, my wife and I thought the Space Elevator was cool and the dinning room view of outer space was interesting. A number of vehicles and space man floating around in space. Kind of like the Coral Reef and the food is about the same. For us it is a one time thing.

1 Like

According to the menu it’s $55 for lunch.