Space 220 * Review May 2023

Meal comparisons for this week: 4 adults

• Space 220+soft drinks+tip $400
  • Steakhouse 71+soft drinks+desert+tip $280
  • 'Ohana all inclusive+tip. $275
3 Likes

Yes, the atmosphere is practically nonexistent, but the food is out of this world…

5 Likes

I do get the comparison to Coral Reef’s large viewing windows, but not the comparison to food. Coral Reef is just bad. (wedding reception type food). Space 220 is good, but not worth the very high price.

1 Like

This reminds me of the “hydrolators” in the original Living Seas pavilion. The queue ended at the theater ( now used for queue switchbacks) and you saw an educational film. Then groups entered the hydrolators to go down to under the sea. They looked like elevators, and when the doors closed the floor vibrated and bubbles were seen going up the walls. There was a display that told you how deep your were. At the end of the elevator ride you exited into the “underwater” portion of home base where you boarded the ride to Sea Base Alpha. A few years later they made the film optional and the hydrolators effects were gone; you just walked right through the rooms and directly to the ride queue.

5 Likes

I remember doing this! It was super cool. Disappointing when the little immersion effects get canned.

Do you hate seafood? We’ve eaten at Coral Reef several times and always had a fairly good food experience. We have always felt it was solid value and decent food. Certainly not the best available, but never bad. I know it used to have a shaky reputation back in the day, but my impression was it got better. Now it’s also quite plausible we have just gotten lucky as well, but I’m guessing we’re in the neighborhood of 5 visits at least…

1 Like

Did you like O’Hana or Steakhouse 71 better? We’re 2 adults and 2 boys 8 & 11. They are kinda picky but both like steak and noodles :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Assuming they like the food, do your boys eat a lot? Ohana’s portions are huge. Great for families of big eaters. I think I would lean toward Ohana, except my family doesn’t eat much so I feel like I’m wasting money eating there. Steakhouse 71 is really good and I am actually going there again in a few weeks.

3 Likes

You are right. Lunch $55 and dinner is $79.

1 Like

We go for lunch on June 2 so thanks for posting this review. I’m really looking forward to it and now I will get the steak per your rec!

1 Like

with younger boys, “picky” eaters, I think you should look at the Steakhouse 71 kids menu, over 'Ohana.

1 Like